Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Clueless,,, help appreciated.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Clueless,,, help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Lex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clueless,,, help appreciated.

So I've been thinking of getting in to battle tanks but am absolutely clueless in a variety of areas. I thought I'd write a list of general questions in hopes that someone might be able to help out.
-First off, what type of tank is most commonly used. I've done a little research, a little overwhelming to say the least.
- I know of Tamiya but not so much with Heng Long (is that a manufacturer)?
- What scale is most popular 1/24 or 1/16?
- Where is the best place to purchase (I'm in the Niagara Region, Canada)?
- Are there any clubs in my area?
- Is it best to use a separate radio like a spectrum rather then the stock one?
- What is the difference between airsoft and VStank battles?

Like I said I'm clueless when it comes to tanks. I used to race nitro cars/trucks so I'm familiar with the RC thing. I'm curious about the specifics since the nitro racing had a way of draining funds rather quickly and all these tanks I've looked at seem rather reasonably priced. It had me wondering if I was looking at the right ones. Seemed the average was about $140 give or take. One other thing are steel tracks better to use then the plastic or is this dependent on the surface your running on. Please feel free to include anything else I may have neglected to ask. Sorry for such a huge list. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help me out.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Clueless,,, help appreciated.

Well, you hit on four different animals all in one question.
1 - Tamiya is a kit that you must build your self. Very High Quality
2 - Heng Long is a brand that is more of an entry level pre- built tank . Good quality and getting better. Very good for first time hobbiest's.
3 - Vs Tanks come in Airsoft and Infra Red battling systems. both are very good quality for 1:24 scale
4 - 1:16 is scale used by most hobbiest's. 1:24 scale has limited makers of RC tanks, Vs, FOV. There are scales that are larger but become VERY expensive larger than 1:16.

Time to be a little more specific in what you are looking for.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The question of using a Hobby grade radio only becomes necessary if you build a Tamiya kit or if you convert an HL tank to an aftermarket battle system like a DBC or an El-Mod system. 
 The Vs tanks and the stock HL and Mato tanks can only use the Tx that are supplied with them.'
 The Tamiya tanks you must supply your own radio gear, the kits do not come with a Tx or Rx.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Lex

Thank you very much, this gets the ball rolling. What brand are most people going with, also is there a preffered website I should be checking out if I were going to purchase a tank? I've always waffled on buying entry level because nine times out of ten you end up upgrading and spending more in the long run. Yes I have the custom bug,lol. What system do most people tend to go with for mock battles air or infra-red, and is the sound and smoke feature good to have or simply an add on that most people avoid? Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

depends what you are looking to do with your tank?
Outdoors bigger 1/16 Heng longs and tamiya ...Indoors 1/24 tanks they also can be used outside but the bigger tanks do better.

Indoors 1/24 forces of valor tanks are the best bang for the buck

outdoors the heng long 1/16 scale is best for the price also.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Contact Fireman Tim on this board, he is local and will sort you out on the club side [8D]
1/16 scale is the most popular outdoors scale, and has the most options for getting involved at the club level.
Fireman Tim can advise on where they are at viz IR vs airsoft - both of the clubs I belong to banned airsoft as insurance liability and the cost of damage to members models far outweight the cost of purchasing Tamiya compatable IR systems ;o)
HTH,
Mart
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some very knowledgeable tankers in your neck of the woods. Not too far away is the Heng Long distributor. Look for Thomas John Murphy among others; they're great guys! If you're not an ax murderer maybe they'll let you come over and visit their motor pools...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and Welcome,

You are lucky since there is an active club in your area... Cam-Am tankers. FiremanTim is your contact as has already been mentioned. Contact him and his club before you buy anything since they have the best info on your particular area and their activities/rules. They are a great group of guys and go year round.

Here is a link to his video http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10238729/tm.htm

Hve fun, Bob NEAD CO
Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Lex

Thank you to all of you for the info. Nice to get friendly help when needed.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Lex,

You are fortunate indeed. Niagara has a lot of RC Tankers and Ontario's only RC Tank club. We will help you with whatever you need.

I'll PM you some contact info.

Tim
Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lex

Thank you to all of you for the info. Nice to get friendly help when needed.
Yes but this is a one time deal, after this we are not friendly anymore Nah just kidding, welcome aboard. A lot of info on this site

Cheers,
Wade