Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Another T-55 build/review

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Another T-55 build/review

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Another T-55 build/review

Not to compete with YHR but I will be using the Tamiya electronics and specifically commenting on things to watch for.

Got the kit from ETO armor, and I have to say truely great service and delivered in 7 days! Wonderful.

The Hooben T-55a tank kit 6602 is similar to the Pershing kit in build and general difficulty level.

Summary: This kit can be likened to a Bandai kit in its quality and general assembly accuracy and difficulty of construction. And then one has to figure out how to make it Full Option. The cost of the Full Option is like constructing a Bandai with Tamiya electronics.

Instructions: The instructions are well done with Tamiya style layout and graphics. The section starts with a historical narrative that brings the T-55 from its prototype beginnings at the end of WWII to operations in the mid 90’s. Some subassemblies involving intricate detail construction could have been more clearly depicted but overall very well done. Instructions include sample color patterns and decal locations of many different nationalities. Instructions are in Chinese and roughly translated English. Instructions also have electronics install and set up which is not included (as of this report) with the kit.

Kit Contents: The kit includes plastic sprues, 2 drive gearboxes, one turret rotation gearbox, one recoil gearbox, one elevation gearbox, turned aluminum gun barrel, metal suspension arms and axels, metal sprockets and idlers, racer sleeve bearing for outdrive axel, brass bushings, plastic roadwheels and rubber tires, metal idler adjust.
When you build this kit be prepared to do some minor rework and provide other accessories like spare hardware, grease and threadlock. Although the kit has the presentation of a Tamiya kit, pay special attention to assembly parts and instructions test fitting often as the build is not as intuitive as a Tamiya kit.

Hooben even sent a credit card to use on their next model issuances (kidding) although the website on it seems defunct.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90987.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1552252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26831.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1552253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60458.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1552254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63055.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1552255  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM
heavyaslead

Default RE: Another T-55 build/review

Some of the parts are shown here included (electronics were not included, although the kit seems to elude to including them standard at some point).

Name:	Db83937.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1552261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29154.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1552262  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
heavyaslead

Before showing all the build pics this is my analysis of some potential problems to watch for and some good points about the kit:

Potential problems and things to watch out for:

1. Sprockets need to have a one-way interlock guide as it is possible to misalign 90 degrees out of alignment.

2. Sprocket shaft: set screws for collar and shaft do not line up well.

3. All the roadwheels needed some work with the dremel to get the e-clip retainers to not bind when clipped on the axel.

4. The preassembled recoil gearbox had to be rebuilt and shaved in some places as gears meshed too tightly causing binding even with 7.2V applied. Some shim washers were needed for alignment. After rebuild it was driven with 1.5V.

5. The preassembled elevation gearbox had to be rebuilt and shaved in some places as gears meshed too tightly causing binding even with 7.2V. Some shim washers were needed for alignment. After rebuild it was driven with 1.5V.

6. The preassembled turret rotation gearbox had to be rebuilt and shaved in some places as gears meshed too tightly causing binding even with 7.2V. Some shim washers were needed for alignment. After rebuild it was driven with 1.5V.

7. Some parts sprues and hull had to be washed to remove residual oil.

8. The cast metal idler adjust had to be bored slightly to accept the idler wheel axel.
9. One of the articulating arms of the damper assembly had a tapped hole instead of bored hole.

10. Sprues A and C (about half the detail parts) were poorly molded having many misshapen parts, flash and voids in parts. Some parts had to be reconstructed from styrene. Many identifier numbers on these two sprues were missing or mismolded making parts identification difficult.

11. Most keyed parts do not fit well as the tabs were either too big or the keyed holes were flashed over or too small.

12. Hooben repeats Tamiya’s useless 3-bearing hull top turret race design and makes it more difficult to install.

13. The idler wheel axel required an extra washer to prevent too much play.

14. The elevation arm assembly to the recoil assembly needed spacers to properly space and clear obstructions, the Tamiya ball and joint would be a better design.

Enough with the bad now the good.

Good things:

1. The drive gearboxes are well made par with Tamiya and come greased. Operation is quiet and alignment is good; slop is minimal. Nice robust design that drives well at 1.5V.

2. A raced sleeve bearing is used for the outdrive shaft that adds a third extra axel support fixed to the hull side relieving stress to the gearbox.

3. Additional front and rear plates for the lower hull assembly add increased strength.

4. The tracks are well made and pin together easily with light pressure with pliers. A slightly smaller diameter hole in one tab of each track holds the pin firmly while the rest of the track rotates smoothly. The pin is rounded at each end for ease of insertion and there is no visible cap to distract the ends of the track.

5. The lower hull assembles well.

6. The elevation gearbox has electronic stops (rectifiers) at the high and low point eliminating the need for a clutch gear system. A nice improvement over the Tamiya elevation unit. No more jerky guns!

7. Plenty of detail, many parts options and represents the real vehicle quite well.

8. If you like lights, there are plenty of opportunities to add lamps (not included) to the prepared parts for the infrared and visual lights for a nice effect.

9. Provision for an IR battlesystem has been accounted for in the build parts and the exact system is open to what you wish to use.

In the next Pic installment I will discuss where corrections had to be made.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review! I look forward to the build on the T-55. Congrats!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review, and matches my experiences as well. I tossed the elevation unit,, and fabricated my own connecting rod. I had to work on the recoil unit to get it to function smoothly as well.

Really nice detailed summary.

Dan
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
heavyaslead

The drive gearboxes, outdrive racer bearing and sprocket shaft assembly.

The drive gearboxes and racer bearing were pre-greased. The collar and shaft attach to the gearbox axle via the outdrive race support bearing for 3 points of main drive axle support.

Name:	Db84765.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1552605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98867.jpeg
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1552606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40497.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1552607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17609.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1552608  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 PM
heavyaslead

And this is the drive assembled. Some wrestling to get the grub set screw to feed properly throught the collar and shaft to set on the gearbox output shaft is required. a simple cotter pin would have been easier.

Fortunately the shafts are keyed with flats to prevent sliding off.

Keep in mind there is no threadlock or ceramic grease provided in the kit - get some before you build this one. And the instructions do not tell you where to apply grease or threadlock, but our experience with similar kits (especially the Tamiya Pershing) will guide us.

Name:	Fd91706.jpeg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1552612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10198.jpeg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1552613  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
yellowshaker

Making some great progress. Great thread here!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Very well written synopsis, Eric. Well done, and I agree with just about all. Elefant is next up for production, we'll then see what has been learned from this first effort.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 AM
heavyaslead

Thank you for the comments, hope this will be helpful to the first time builder.

The front (and rear) articulating arms are a nice mechanically working detail to add. Install the rotating pieces first then bolt together. Also shown is the suspsension stays. The metal housing is well attached by four bolts.

The tension spring is installed similar to the Tamiya Pershing springs, take care to identify the correct tagged spring for each roadwheel as the tension is different just like the Pershing for front-rear weighting balance.

The idler uses a continuously variable (bolt with a lock washer and nut) design that is very similar to the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 idler adjust except more robust and capable of fine adjustment rather than stepped. A nice improvement over the Tamiya system.

The idler needed a shim washer to eliminate slop and the idler arm had to be bored slightly to accept the wheel axle. Add ceramic grease and your good to go.

Name:	Pm34821.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1552773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36123.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1552774   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26613.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1552775  
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
heavyaslead

The roadwheels are two halves glued together with a brass bushing between for the axle. This is basically the same assembly technique as other kit roadwheels. If bearings were desired, some additional modification would be needed.

The roadwheel assembly is held together by an e-ring clip, which did not clear the roadwheel mold to engage the axle key. All the roadwheels had to be shaved with a dremel to clear the access to the axle key in order to insert the e-ring.

To help with alignment, as the single brass bearing is a bit lacking in wobble support, a shim washer was added inner to the e-clip retainer on the axle. This is a step where ceramic grease that you supply can be applied before sealing the roadwheels.

Once the roadwheels were constructed, the axles insert into the suspension arms and secure by a set screw on a flat on the axle shaft. Fortunately, the flat has a tab on the end to prevent slipping out of the suspension arm should the set screw loosen.

The lower hull assembly is shown including the underbody which has some interesting detail as well.

Name:	Mk26264.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1552910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96451.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1552911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59689.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1552912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58444.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1552913  
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
sevoblast

I didn't bother with the E ring, I just put a washer on the axle, installed it, and gave it just enough play to turn free.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
YHR

Me too. Tossed the e rings and used a washer. Here is where a threaded axle bolt would work nicely and eliminate a lot of pieces.

Over all though the hull and suspension is well done, and not much to complain about. I like the way they got the metal suspension set up in the plastic tub.

Keep er coming Eric
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 AM
heavyaslead

This next post is not so flattering but needs to be addressed.

The poor mismoldings of the A and C sprue (about half the parts) was frustrating. Many parts had to be reformed or reconstructed all together. Some parts were molded into the webbing or had voids.

It is interesting that the remaining sprues were fine.

The recoil gearbox is shown pulled apart for an overhaul to get the binded gears working again. It uses a design similar to Tamiya except the limit switch is separately wired. If using Tamiya electronics, be sure to wire the switch properly with the correct resistors such that the electronics can read the position correctly.

Name:	Kh17478.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1553402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62622.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1553403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17729.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1553404  
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM
j z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a fine looking kit. I'm glad they're available through ETO armor. Is the roller bearing sealed in any way ? It looks like it is open to water and small particles of dirt, even with the axle in place. Regards, J Z
Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
heavyaslead

j z

When you say 'roller bearing' are you asking about the outdrive racer bearing?

If this description is correct then yes it is 'open', very much like the racer bearing on the axle wheel of your car.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
j z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, thats what I was referring to.I guess we use different terms up here. It looks like it could be prone to contamination and I was wondering if it uses any type of seal to keep the grit out. Regards, J Z
Old 01-26-2011, 04:56 PM
heavyaslead

That is a good idea, in fact a standard size o-ring (plumbing fixture type) would probably do the trick on the outer edge.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
heavyaslead

And now we move on to the tracks. I have to say this normally mundane task of pinning each link was actually enjoyable.

The track is high durability nylon just as the Tamiya track. It is very well made with no obvious mold markings and each link fits perfectly.

The pins are rounded on each end to help insertion and each link has a set tab that is slightly smaller diameter to hold the pin. No glue or end caps needed for these tracks. In a few words the best track set I have worked with over the years.

Next is the main gun shroud on its frame. It does not fit so well so instead of wrestling with it, I opt to custom make mine later.

The lights are optional and here are visual 'representations' of the IR imagers for targeting and detection. Its going to be fun at night!

Name:	Om34482.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1553669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20804.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1553670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20929.jpeg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1553671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36510.jpeg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1553672  
Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 PM
sevoblast

Isn't that main tube shroud hateful? Good job you're doing on this build! Lots of insight on the kit. I'm trying to get back on mine too. Thought winter was the 'spare time' season. Guess I was wrong this year!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 AM
YHR

RE poor molding

If memory serves me right it seems as if tree D was done after they realized how bad some of parts were on tree A and C. Just redid them on tree D. I had the same experiences as you are having. Mold seems so large it looks as if the plates were mismatched. By the time you file away the mold seem half the detail on the part is gone.

The tracks are nice, Hopefully they hold up well.

I only put power to the main light. but I see you got all three lit up.

Very representative build, and I think people should be prepared and expecting to find the same issues you are presenting. They match my experience with the kit as well. Just about every thing you have brought up I had the same issues.

Cheers,
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 AM
yellowshaker

This thing is looking real good! I am thoroughly enjoying this thread Great info on the build and pics! thos lights really are going to look great at night!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Panther G

I was hoping to have my kit by now as i wanted to take it too Danville in April. money right now sucks and i have 3-4 projects in the holding stages due to lak of funds.
 I did however decide upon a project that i have nearly everything to get started.
 I decided to make my KV-1 a KV-85. Then i decided to go one step better. A KV-122. I have a spare T-34/85 turret that can be reworked to resemble the KV-85/1222 turret and the hull assembly. 
 I plan on using the Tamiya Pershing gun barrel and recoil stay and mechanism. Why go 85. Go big or go home. Know these where interim tanks in service while the Russians where waiting for the Stalin takes to hit the factories but very cool and Lethal to boot. Can't wait to get started.
 The extra T-34/85 hull I will use for an SU 85 or 100 Tank destroyer which i have wanted to build for some time, 
Now i have the hulls and turrets to make 2 separate unique vehicles with on hand bits and parts. 
 I am going to do a pictorial on the KV-122 build to show just what exactly needs to be changed to the turret and hull. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:43 AM
heavyaslead

The first pick is more front lights! This vehicle has so many IR imagers.

The electronics layout is shown for Tamiya electronics and my 'best' arrangement. The Hooben kit does not make provision for a speaker box which is a disadvantage, but I plan to make some sort of box for this build.

This tank has amazing clearance and should clear obstacles easily.

The turret assemly is shown minus the gun shroud before it is wired to the hull.

Name:	Zx70325.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1554992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66624.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1554993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37549.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1554994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24973.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1554995  
Old 01-29-2011, 04:42 PM
RSEA

ORIGINAL: heavyaslead

6. The elevation gearbox has electronic stops (rectifiers) at the high and low point eliminating the need for a clutch gear system. A nice improvement over the Tamiya elevation unit. No more jerky guns!
I find your statement about this Hooben elevation unit interesting, as I dislike Tamiya's elevation unit..

Could you elaborate some on these "rectifiers"? To my knowledge (which is limited about them), rectifiers are primarily used for converting AC to DC current in electric power supplies. I don't quite understand how these rectifiers are working in the Hooben model. I assume they are reversing the polarity of the DC voltage to the elevation unit's motor when mechanically actuated? Maybe you can enlighten us as to how these things work. I'd like to make my own custom elevation unit at some point in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.