Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Motor and Gearbox Testing - 2011

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Motor and Gearbox Testing - 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor and Gearbox Testing - 2011

Howdy fellow tankers!

First, I'd like to apologize to my buddy Phil (The Blitz) for being absent so long and not having run these tests sooner. I've been sick for a while now and finally mustered up the energy to start only to discover many dried up and smelly yellow puddles around my long dormant motor pool (hobby work table). Well, after cleaning most of it up I'm too pooped to keep going today. Will make another go of it tomorrow.

Secondly, this post will serve as testing grounds for the motors and gearboxes that Phil sent over for me to test RPMs and Amperage draw by the motors themselves, turning gearboxes and on a tank chassis with my Optical Tachometer and Watts Up Meter. So stay tuned, in the coming days and weeks I hope to get these tests all done and get the parts back to Phil!

Lastly, if you're the praying type, please ask the Good Lord to heal me up as my wife is sick of my being sick and may just start thinking about ways to collect on that insurance policy! Just kidding now! Wonder how that little dog will like his new home outside in 40 degree weather???
Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Motor and Gearbox Testing - 2011

Hope you feel better soon.  [8D]  Once these tests are done, will you be updating your spreadsheet?  I've been using that as my starting point for ideas.

Oh, if it's too cold for ya...come on over here.  We have diving (with whale sharks and WWII wrecks) to scratch that itch for ya and there's at least one tanker.  Oh...dead of winter and it was 51 degrees this morning.  I run in shorts and a long-sleeved T-shirt. 
Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Motor and Gearbox Testing - 2011

I think if you want to have a really meaningful characterization of the gearboxes yo need to put them on a small dyno. Running them with no load won't tell you much.
Build a De Prony brake. Google it. It's a very simply device to make and you can build it for under $10. With it you can measure the torque and power your gearboxes put out.

Perry