Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Antenna be gone!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Antenna be gone!

The HL tanks I've run are very sensitive to radio range. Just try running it w/o the TX antenna extended or the tank ant. removed. This is due to the lower quality or the electronics used by H L. The WSN tanks (T-34) are a little better. The WSN RC M-16 halftrack has poor range. I've used the the Tamiya electronics combined with Spectrum, Airtronics and Futaba radios... all worked great. The metal tank ant. mast is really not needed for RC tanking. We simply do not go that far away from our RCs as the plane and boats guys do. I run Futaba only now on 27 AM, 72 & 75 FM and 2.4 radios and they all work fine with a range out to 250 feet +. The tank ant. in most of mine sits bundled near the RX. DO NOT CUT the RX wire shorter. The wire can be run around the hull sponsons or wound around a non metal rod or dowel. The 2.4s are sweet but I will not replace all my Futaba 75 Mhz until they fail. Thusfar none have failed me in the 7 years I have been usung them.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it might be a little better to go into some detail here for the new guys so they don't just go buy a new radio and think you just take a HL tank and plug everything into a typical receiver.If you can just do that I would sure like for someone to show me how.......... Now I'm an old airplane guy and mabe i have missed the boat here,but you just don't plug all the wires in a HL tank into a receiver and off you go...........Am I wrong here...???

BIGMIG

Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 AM
BiggTony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

Well it might be a little better to go into some detail here for the new guys so they don't just go buy a new radio and think you just take a HL tank and plug everything into a typical receiver.If you can just do that I would sure like for someone to show me how.......... Now I'm an old airplane guy and mabe i have missed the boat here,but you just don't plug all the wires in a HL tank into a receiver and off you go...........Am I wrong here...???

BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: BiggTony

ORIGINAL: Sturmgewehr

ORIGINAL: Green Amphibian

Buy the radio and receiver and plug everything in. Bind them together and you should be done except for checking that everything still works the way it did. I love mine.
Is it easy to change the receiver? And does the transmitter come with the receiver?
What brand tank do you have? If it's a Tamiya, then yes. Most 2.4Ghz transmitters come with binding recievers. BUT, you do need to make sure because there are options to purchase transmitters with out this.

If your tank is HL or other, then it's not as simple as adding a 2.4ghz radio. You will need to either purchase a DBCRC2 unit or Elmod pro/eco unit or an appropriate Tamiya DMD & Multi Function Unit which will replace Henglongs RX and TX.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Sturmgewehr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a spare antenna so I tried cutting it in half to see what kind of range I would get, and got about 50' out of it. Normally, I find I don't need anywhere near that much range anyway. Seems like I normally run my Tanks a lot closer then that. So for me, I'm ok with it.