RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tiger 1 #300

Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Green Amphibian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tiger 1 #300

What were the unit markings for this tank. Did it exist? I wish to detail it and add the unit insignia to the tank but have not found any information yet as to what unit it was assigned to or what markings it had. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 PM
torpedochief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tiger 1 #300

Tiger 300 was with the 503rd. It was a unique Tiger. The commander's hatch opened to the front. There were additional oddities that make 300 a nice subject.

Here is what I did.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM
torpedochief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oops! Forgot the pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62221.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	1567470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73386.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	1567471   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25821.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	1567472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91879.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	705.9 KB
ID:	1567473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug52803.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	644.5 KB
ID:	1567474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb45717.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	511.8 KB
ID:	1567475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt33708.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	1567476  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM
SgtPearce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW  (wall-E style Wow) that is soem fantastic weathering i love it! hey dont mean to change subject but it was tank 777 that the canadians killed that was the tiger Ace right?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chief, I never get tired of seeing that tank! NICE!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
torpedochief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the kind words.

Hummm if you mean Wittiman he was killed in Tiger 007.

Don
Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 PM
SgtPearce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

007 that was the one that was engaged by uh Canadian Shermans, typhoon rockets, and uh american infantry or somethign i cant quite rememeber it all, it made its way onto Greatest tank battles, it was cool to see. he was a Tiger Ace i remeber that much, i think that was him

Edit :yep thats him, also anyone know the tank (sherman)who actually killed him maybe i can get a sherman and make the 2 tanks

Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 AM
rivetcounter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sgt, there is a lot of controversy about who killed Wittmann, there are two trains of thought as to who could have done the deed, how about you spend some time researching with Google there is a lot of information to be had, please let us know your findings
Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 AM
rivetcounter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don, don’t forget that 300 from 503 was initially an early Tiger and was replaced when lost with the mid Tiger this was also replaced with a late Tiger then a Tiger II, 300 was also used by other Abteilung and not unique to one tank
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Green Amphibian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So you are saying that I could use the markings from just about any unit and still be correct? My Tiger is an early one.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 AM
rivetcounter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No there are one or two other units that used 300 but I would have to look to see which units 503 certainly used it from beginning to end
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Oracus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SgtPearce

007 that was the one that was engaged by uh Canadian Shermans, typhoon rockets, and uh american infantry or somethign i cant quite rememeber it all, it made its way onto Greatest tank battles, it was cool to see. he was a Tiger Ace i remeber that much, i think that was him

Edit : yep thats him, also anyone know the tank (sherman) who actually killed him maybe i can get a sherman and make the 2 tanks

This quote is from [link]http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen3.htm[/link]

"Finally, it was proven that Wittmann's Tiger was destroyed by fire from tanks of "A" Squadron of Northamptonshire Yeomanry. British Firefly crew observed advancing Tigers and opened fire at when Tigers were some 800m away. According to original War Diary of "A" Squadron, at 12:20, 3 Tigers were moving towards the Squadron and were destroyed at 12:40, 12:47 and 12:52 without any losses. After the first Tiger was destroyed at 12:40, second one returned fire but was hit and blew up in a loud explosion. Following that, third Tiger was knocked out after receiving two hits. Wittmann's Tiger was destroyed as second at 12:47 by British Sherman VC "Firefly" commanded by Sergeant Gordon (gunner - Trooper Joe Ekins) from 3rd Platoon, "A" Squadron, 33rd Armored Brigade of 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry. British Sherman VC "Firefly" armed with 17 pounder gun was capable of penetrating Tiger's armor at range of 800m. The force of explosion blew off the turret, which landed upside down away from the hull. Wittmann did not know that British had Firefly in the area and felt confident in attacking their position with his Tigers, otherwise he would take different approach to the whole attack. Another version is that Wittmann was killed by fire from a Canadian regiment, the Sherbrooke Fusiliers. After Wittmann failed to return from the battle, search for him by the members of the 12th SS Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend" and his battalion took place during the day and on the night of 8/9th."

So your Sherman would need to be a Firefly variant for the 007 Tiger killer.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
SgtPearce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

uh im pretty sure it was greatest tank battles or something, i dont remember, but uh it was on the History channel and they said it was the Canadian Regiment that had put the final round into it to make the kill.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 AM
yellowshaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Watch the 4 parts to this video. It gives a lot of information on Whittman and his Tigers...as well as his final battle and inevitable death...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwJJqDrocrc
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM
SgtPearce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wiki quote

In the appendix of “No Holding Back”, devoted to Wittmann’s demise, there is a topographical map[2] of the engagement, diagrams of the tank[56] and the location of the shell strike.[57] Using this and Google Earth, it is quite easy to re-create the engagement scenario and measure the distances involved, an exercise that strongly supports the Canadian claim.

Compounding Radley-Walters' difficulty in assigning Wittmann's kill to any particular crew in his squadron were the untimely deaths of several of his men in combat over the next few days and, both paradoxically and incredibly, the destruction of the regiment's records the very next day when the Americans accidentally dropped a bomb destroying the one halftrack that may have carried the evidence.

My theory is, there is no true support to who killed him becouse it was the canadians, and the Americans destroyed our one Record keeping half track. and if you read this same article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wittmann
the article supports the canadians being closer, and i believe they did also attack from the rear of it, where it has weaker armor, i believe that the Canadians are the Killers of Tiger 007.

sorry for changing the subject lol.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 AM
SgtPearce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just a quick post, but if you are looking for tank 300, a KT in video 6/6 of the mentioned videos above is 300

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
yellowshaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, Pierce according to other accounts the tiger was hit from the side and in the turret causing it to be completely blown off the tank and killing the entire crew instantly. Most of the accounts I read have said it was a british firefly thart was responsible for the kill...I don't know for sure though.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
SgtPearce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

Well, Pierce according to other accounts the tiger was hit from the side and in the turret causing it to be completely blown off the tank and killing the entire crew instantly. Most of the accounts I read have said it was a british firefly thart was responsible for the kill...I don't know for sure though.
Yellow one remark, Pierce, my name is right there on hte side, and above if you quote, sorry i just hate when people spell my name wrong. Pearce. anyways lol if anyone know the Canadian tank that said they killed the tiger 007

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM
yellowshaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry charlie...
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
rivetcounter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SgtPearce

My theory is, there is no true support to who killed him becouse it was the canadians, and the Americans destroyed our one Record keeping half track.

Pierce, you really shouldn’t criticise people for miss spelling, I’m also having a very hard time understanding this statement which is rather badly written where you contradict yourself either there is no evidence to whom really killed Wittmann or there is

Wikipedia, is hardly a source of reliable information on anything, your opinion is based on reading one questionable source of information, others on the forum have read a varied amount from reliable sources, both Canadians and British were firing on the broadside it’s known that the British had a Firefly and were within killing range what is not known is the type of Sherman the Canadians had some sources say they only had the normal 76mm version which even though the Canadians were closer would rule them out, Joe Ekins story doesn’t ring true in all areas he claims to have knocked out 3 Tigers yet 4 were lost on that day so who knocked out the fourth Joe claims to have opened up on 007 first then the others, Joe claims to have scored first round hits and claims that the Germans firing back missed several times, the range claim is farcical as no one knows who fired first if it was Joe who fired first with his first round kill then it couldn’t have been the Canadians, there have been 2 lots of research done one sponsored by the Canadians the other sponsored by the British neither have looked at things from both angles in a constructive manner both sides have stood firmly with their man both have claimed that Wittmann and his crew were killed instantly in the tank blast yet a German survivor claims that the tank blown several minutes after being hit, in the 80’s when Wittmann was found along with 2 members of his crew it was over a mile from the Tiger site, so the question is how did 3 dead men travel over a mile and end there days in an MG42 slit trench on top of 2 members of HJ read “Death in Normandy” this is one of the story’s which will never be resolved.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
SgtPearce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hmmm excelent points, this is why i love this place so much, and by that, is there a way to find out what canadian tanks were at that wall that was shooting at tiger 007?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM
rivetcounter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes after you have researched the subject then you can tell us all about them
Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
yellowshaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Eggman1965
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Every time I see this particular Tiger 300 I can't believe it's only 1/16th scale! It looks like it weighs 56 tons!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGrnQSb8JsA[/youtube]

If you got a chance to watch this series, they re-staged the event based on the evidence and first hand reports. The conclusion was the Canucks killed him. It wasn't anything spectacular as Wittmann was pretty much on a suicide mission.

[link]http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=116485[/link]

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service