Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Stug III schurzen question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Stug III schurzen question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 AM
kubel-head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stug III schurzen question

Gentlemen,

Been doing a little homework on the schurzen designs employed on the Stug III and have run into a question I can't answer. I am especially draw to the 'swing style' schurzen found on some Stug III and Jagdpanzer IV chassis but can't find any information or pictures on the mounting bracket. I've read some folk believing this style was a field modification but just don't buy it.

The orientation of the plates (overlapping front to rear like scales) and the scalloped edges are too consistent for me to believe that Klause and his trackmates just cobbled this set-up together.

I have found numerous pictures of this style and I am very interested in trying it out but I can find no info on the mounting rail. The last pic is of the Jagdpanzer IV but clearly shows the 'swing" with most plates retaining the vertical orientation in spite of the mounting rail being horribly disfigured.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

J

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20671.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1583884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34772.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1583885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32930.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1583886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76290.jpg
Views:	1768
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1583887  
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Stug III schurzen question

It's outlined in one of my books the (Stug III Walk Around) I have. Basically it's a pipe and a locking pin to retain the shield. Supposedly it was a field mod too with specific dimensions to follow.

- Jeff
Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope this helps...........it's all I could find. Those plates don't look like they did much good on the tank on the right!

Name:	Ge95156.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1583980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71579.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1583981  
Old 03-25-2011, 09:07 AM
kubel-head

Panther F,

Anything you have would be great.

Squadron signal's 'Sturmgeshutz III and Panzer IV in Action' books are good but neither covered that mounting

Thanks,

J
Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 PM
victorm3
My Feedback: (1)

I recently purchased a set of this style of schurzen for one of my future stug 3 projects.

Here is a link to the style you are looking for. They come with the mounts.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/t...ale-1250-p.asp

Regards,

Victor
Epsom, NH
Old 03-25-2011, 04:03 PM
kubel-head

Rex,

I appreciate those photo's. The first one is exactly what I was lookin for!

Then along comes Victor and steals my 'limited scratch building thunder' with a link to the exact product I was gonna build!

Thanks to both of you for the legwork.

Now if only I could but a $ figure on my frustration.....would make it easier to just bite the bullet and buy the kit.

Regards,

J
Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM
yellowshaker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price is right on the link. You can change the monetary feature on WD sight to USD on the homepage.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Kubel-head:

$45.18 & shipping.

Back to the home page, set to USD, select " Tank-Modellbau Premium HL parts ", " StuG 3 ", and second from bottom on the right side.

Oh, found out they are giving me a "thank you for evaluating our new TPN pump for two weeks" gift. Heck, I was ready to do it for free! And rep says seeing as I'll be using one for whats left of my days, she's gonna try to arrange to get me one... !

T-55 fund, 2A6 fund, or a loaded HL?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:48 AM
kubel-head

YellowShaker and Whitewolf.

The written word doesnt often convey what the writer meant......

I appreciate you guys doing the math for conversion to US dollars.

My post was trying to make light of two things. 1. my limited scrath building skills and 2. justifying the $50 to save me the frustration of mucking up a couple skirts till I got it right.

Thanks again,

J

Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 AM
yellowshaker

Well, scratch building something always brings a certain satisfaction you can't get with simply buying it, but...sometimes clicking that buy it button does make it a lot eaasier! either way, keep us posted on the build. good luck.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Panther G

Steve is an excellent provider for unusuall parts for us. Welshdrgaon has always been a great source for the newest available parts. Sometimes he has them before they are actually available nationally. hats off to Steve. One more hobbiest that cares about the rest of us.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Rex Ross

Kubel-Head...........

If you buy the kit for your project, I would like to see a photo of the skirt mounts. I am curious about some of the details. That last photo you posted looks like there is some kind of a rail, or angle iron (or something) that got folded up when the skirts got shuffled like a deck of cards. The one photo (and text) I found says they were bolted into the ends of modified heavy duty fender supports. I wonder if there was also a space bar of some sort to keep them properly spaced? Or just describe how they did that part................

Rex
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 AM
kubel-head

Rex,

If I do buy that kit from WelshDragon I will post pics. A little confusion surfaced with all the pics posted about that style.

Panther F's description and your two pics detail the mounting on the StuG III. Pipe sections bolted onto the fenders and the 4 equal sized shurzen hung with a retaining pin. The welsh dragon site has a pretty good image of what they have done.

My last pic with the disfigured rail is of a StuG IV. best I can gather (and the photographic evidence is scarce) is five shurzen, the first (front) which is smaller hung on a rail. the rail seems to mount to the superstructure from the same brackets as the other style shurzen. Up front there is a seperate mount on the fender and the rear rail seems to be mounted on the air intake box.

Some of the higher end static model kit sites have this style shurzen for sale in smaller scales and the mounts look good but again I can't find the photo's to confirm or deny their interpretations.

first pic is of the rail setup for the 'swing style'. second pic makes me believe in the 'field mod' a little...just cut of the retaining teeth and weld in some pipe....

Name:	Ol31441.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1586189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80926.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1586190  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Rex Ross

At this point I think you could build it however you wanted to and nobody would know............unless you were a 95 yr. old former Panzer crewman who served on one with that rig...........Hey, during field operations, anything goes!