Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

SLU review

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SLU review

Here's the site.
http://soundandlightunit.weebly.com/
It's a complete electronics package.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 AM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder if this will ever be available by a local retailer in Euro zone
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 AM
hulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: borealis

I wonder if this will ever be available by a local retailer in Euro zone
I don't think it will happen...because the market is too small to support it

Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Panther G

I'm starting to hear some positive results about this system and am thinking this may just be the system too use for my KV-85 project. 
I like the fact that it is an all inclusive system. Sound, ESC and wiring ofcourse. May just give this one a try.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 AM
candycab

So does it have realistic momentum like YHR asked ? Coasting to a stop etc.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Tim

Can this unit be ordered with the T55 sounds?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Fireman Tim

The SLU does not coast to a stop. Real tanks have brakes and the SLU stops when you move the throttle stick center.

The Tank will slow down when it takes 50% of its hit capacity.

The manufacturer does not sell us the SLU with T-55 sounds and probably won't in the future.

I have shipped to the UK already and will be to Europe once my back-ordered parts show up.

We have discovered one issue with the system that may be a concern to some people and that is the controls for the Laser Pointer. The current coding does not provide for a way to shut the laser pointer off. The other is how the barrel elevation control is performed. The challenge with a system like this is the number of light and sound control functions the manufacturer has stuffed into 4 channel control.

I appreciate those who have ordered this system and are putting it through its paces (ie Bubba). We hope to iron out all issues.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Panther G

It still looks to be a very viable system, Any new product like this will have some teething issues. I'm sure it will get worked out,
As far as the laser pointer, is this function only active when using an airsoft gun or is it something that is on all the time? Also, does it interfere with the IR emitter and receiver?
I see that the LEO is one of the sound options that will be offered, and that there is no plans for the T-55, but is there any thought on having an Abrams tank option in the future?
My interest is mainly for modern armor with all this new electronics systems being worked on. I realize it obviously makes the most sense to build the systems for the existing German and Allied WWII armor but some of us really like , have and want some more modern options.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Eggman1965

What is "realistic momentum" ? Every tank video I've seen especially of WWII era tanks is that of jerky, clunky movements not smooth, flowing movement. The Bovington tank fest videos are great to watch for example. The Tiger jerks to start, lurches to a stop as does the Panther, Tiger II et al. Just my 2 cent observations

MIke
Old 05-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Fireman Tim

I have to ammend my previous post after getting more information from the manufacturer.

In SLU manual the manufacturer is recommend using non self-center stick to be a function selection stick.
There are 5 positions for function selection stick.
from top to bottom, position is
-
top-> fire;
middle top-> elevate the barrel
center-> turret rotation
middle bottom-> lights and play music
bottom->start the engine and machine gun

Basing on the SLU specification, the laser led will be turned on
when function selection stick in fire, middle top, fire position.
That means laser led will be turn on when your stick in top , middle top and center position. no matter what is the position of the other stick.

So if you want to turn off the Laser led, you must put your stick in middle bottom and bottom.

Of course, if you put your function selection function on a self-center stick, the Laser LED will always be on.
So in short, the manufacturer designed it that way and recommends not to use a self centering stick for channel 3. Center stick, middle stick up and full stick up on Channel 3 are used for turret/barrel controls, so the Laser LED will come on when the channel 3 stick is in those positions. Like I said before, there are a lot of functions stuffed into 4 channel control and this what he decided to manufacture.

I use a self centering stick for channel 3 with my Tactic 2.4G radio, and I will install a Laser LED with an inline switch to shut it off when I don't want it active. HL Airsoft tanks come with a small switch that is used for the Airsoft gun, so I'll just use that one.

I would like to see the laser pointer connection only activate whenever you move the turret, barrel or fire the man cannon. I'll pass this idea on to him as he is open to feedback.

As for Abrams and Leo sounds, I too would like to see an Abrams sound package. Some customer feedback would be great and help us to get an idea of what demand is out there. You can get the T-55 SLU sound package, but currently only through Hooben. Perhaps there would be a demand for a Leo 1 sound package.

Tim
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Fireman Tim

Also, I have requested that the sound package for the Sherman be changed to a Continental R975 radial engine used in the M4A1(76) rather than the V8.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:35 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fireman Tim

Also, I have requested that the sound package for the Sherman be changed to a Continental R975 radial engine used in the M4A1(76) rather than the V8.

I'd keep the V8 if I were you. Tamiya already has the radial, and the V8 can be used in a host of allied tanks. I think most Shermans in the latter stage of the war moved away from the radial engine.

Dan
Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 AM
bubbajoexx

for the V8 just use the pershing sound unit
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 AM
bullyhys

Well my SLU arrived and in proper shape, so I started going thru the contents of the box.

I must say I am impressed very nice indeed. Upon review I have noted a change that I need to make as to which tank to install it into.
My orginial plan was to install in my Jagdpanzer4/L70, however due to the barrel recoil installed (tamiya which has 3 wires) I now plan to use my asiantam
Stug3 instead which does not have any recoil mounted so I can use the track recoil or install a HL type 2wire motor recoil setup. the SLU does not appear to be able to interface with the Tamiya recoil motor setup.

That said I'll post more as project continues..

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM
mergen

I used my asintam recoil unit on my SLU, and theres not quite enough juice to bring the barl back to front, I had to reduce the spring tintion before it would work and look good.
Mergen
Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Panther G

Since I use the "left stick" for all the driving commands I wonder how you would access the other functions that would be normally on the 5 position left stick "non centering".
This method of driving is directly opposite of how the HL and standard Tamiya channels are used.
Driving on left stick
All turret functions on right stick " self centering"
With a Tamiya system you can jsut switch which channels you use to set the radio up how ever you like it.
I will assume, and I hate to do that , that you can do this with the SLU at the reciever also.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 AM
bubbajoexx

you can set up the funtions on right or left stick it up to you where you want them
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
bubbajoexx

did you ajust the blue pot on the slu to increase the speed of the recoil to get more current
Old 05-08-2011, 05:48 PM
mergen

I did do that and I dident see any diff. I wish I had I had a diagram of the wiring, and maybe the recoil is hanging up some where. I'll keep trucking. The sound on this unit is alot better than the other one (dont want to say which one,it might disturbe Yellow Shaker)

Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM
bubbajoexx

got yah
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM
hulu

That blue pot only can do tiny adjustment.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Panther G

What recoil mechanisms are compatible with the SLU. I want to get the LEO 2A5/6 version for my HE LEO and it needs a much better recoil set up. 
I'm also hoping that they come out with an Abrams version. This will solve a nearly year long problem on finishing my 2 HE tanks. good electronics packages with the proper sounds and action that wont cost me an arm and a leg. the SLU looks like the ticket for these tanks. 
As soon as the LEO version is out I'm on it.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mergen

I did do that and I dident see any diff. I wish I had I had a diagram of the wiring, and maybe the recoil is hanging up some where. I'll keep trucking. The sound on this unit is alot better than the other one (dont want to say which one,it might disturbe Yellow Shaker)

Dude, if you need to take cheap shots at me from behind a keyboard, it doesn't say much for your character. I have nothing bad to say about the SLU. I think they are doing great work for the hobby by intrducing it.Whether it sounds better than other units or not, I don't know. I would like to experience the system in person before making that determintion. As for your childish digs perhaps you will make it to my neck of the woods one day...but then you will probably be as quiet as a church mouse. You keyuboard killers are all alike.

Hulu I am sorry to get off topic. I am looking forward to your product and hope to order one soon for one of my builds.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:56 PM
mergen

Tusha!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 AM
bubbajoexx

tamiya HL and asia tam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.