Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Hooben T-55 going out of production soon?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hooben T-55 going out of production soon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hooben T-55 going out of production soon?

Guys...

Is it wioth the 15 euro for the roadwheel bushings (if I buy one from RCTank) or is there a DIY mod to put bearings in place?

And RCtank's rep?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Dominique at Rctank is rock solid - prompt, no fuss, you get what you order, he keeps in contact and Ihave never had one problem with him.

Not one. And if you ask him via email, he deletes the VATif you are not in the EU.

Excellent service. In fact hes my favourite dealer.

p
Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Buckeye36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Dominique is top notch, prompt communication and pleasure to deal with.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
lposter

He is.....and without hijacking the thread, welshdragon models, modelfixings.co.uk, chronos.ltd.uk and ba-bolts.co.uk are very good too. For all your scratch building and tiny bolt needs.

And another thing about rc-tanks...if you need something he hasnt got, he's willing to investigate getting it made as a product!

I wonder how many T-55's he has?I always wanted to do one of the crazy Angola jungle tanks....

p
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

lposter:

I've got an e-mail pending to 'em now... and I've nothing against the Brits, but their postal system... well, their charges make the ~evil~ couriers look downright friendly. I know its not their fault. They've got some rather decent stuff...

Hell, I'm a Canuck, and its cheaper for me to buy off of Dave4What than ANY local hobby shop, even with the shipping. As for Customs, I'll see the 13% taxes either way - Its the so-called 'Harmonized Sales Tax' (former Provincial Sales Tax and Goods-&-Services Tax combined)

In their defence, if they tried to price their stuff competitively, they probably wouldn't make much at all (not with UK/foreign postage costs!) But if you can find it elsewhere (like Imperial Model, SchumoKits/Axel Modellbau, AFV-Model, or others, compare prices and shipping if you're in Canada or the US. Its usually considerably cheaper to order direct from Germany than to buy the German-sourced items from the UK.

Free Trade my ass. Then again, some governments are greedy, and some suppliers push the prices higher for profit margin (aka 'Markup')
Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 PM
lposter

Hello Whitewolf McBride

Iagree with much you have to say.... postage is not cheap. Saying that, for me at least (on mainland Europe but outside the EU), the reduction I witness when the 19% VAT or whatever is cut off usually allays the postage hit. Then again, in Norway, if the parcel is worth more than 200 NOK or 25 Euros or thereabouts, Iget hit with the Import Tax + The costs of having the package assayed for that tax which is a couple of hundred kroner in itself.

usually I ask the seller if Ican pay in two payments, one of which is less than the tax limit. And if they would write the value of the package as being less than that limit.

The resaon Ibought of the crowds Ilisted were that they stock things like aluminium sheet in small quantitites or that they have nuts and bolts in sizes I just cannot find so easily in Europe. Iknow the USis better at such things (McMasters Carr and such like) but th epost usually takes much longer to get here and (and this is the killer)..... Icannot "do"imperial. Icould look up conversions but Ireally find 2 mm to be simpler than 3/8 of an inch or whatever.

Ive never actually bought a full tank from a UK company so Icannot comment on them in that area.

Oddly enough, I swung by AFV-Model recently and they are doing the Hooben at 300 Euro. A 70 Euro difference! Nearly 30% or so!

P
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

lposter:

Then again, in Norway, if the parcel is worth more than 200 NOK or 25 Euros or thereabouts, I get hit with the Import Tax + The costs of having the package assayed for that tax which is a couple of hundred kroner in itself. Usually I ask the seller if I can pay in two payments, one of which is less than the tax limit. And if they would write the value of the package as being less than that limit.
Interesting. I've ~never~ had a UK site offer to drop the VAT for a shipment, but when asked, all the others were completely willing. And thats supposed to be an ~incoming~ tax, paid to your own government. I pay that as the 13% HST, and a flat-rate $8 assessment/inspection charge if its regular post sent. The couriers, well, they charge whatever they want, without ANY sign of improved service, and in most cases, a ~decrease~ in it.

As for the 'devalued item' idea, yea, some of my friends would do that for me, seeing as we get skinned at $20 Cdn and up, $60 if the sender is willing to gift-wrap it, and include a card (you can't just tick the 'gift' box on the customs form any more. Then again, Dollar stores are cheap for that extra layer of wrapping ;-)

Your friend Dominique (You sure its a he? thats the female spelling over here...) has told me how to 'navigate' the VAT-discount issue, so it looks like I'll be getting my T55 from RCTank.de after all.

As for price variances... well, some see the new 'shortage' in kits, both Tamiya due the quakes, and Hooben due to whatever reason, I think that people will pay the higher prices in desperation to get one. Me, heck, I waited over a decade after they re-released the Sherman, as I ~knew~ they'd get back to the Leopard (ok, I was fairly sure, and had certain parts crossed)

Not sure what to aim for next... some of the HL stuff (eying a M41 and one of the Pz.3 variants) and perhaps the US M16 halfie. And mebbe I'll finally blow for a MAN conversion bodyset for my Robbe Panther... its already got full 8x8 workings. May as well fully militarize her, so she can tow my Leopard(s).

And thanks muchly for the heads up on their sale. You need help from over here, just ask.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 PM
lposter

HI ho Whitewolf

I wouldnt say he's (and Iam basing that only on my having having met other europeans using that spelling) a friend of mine (never met him or had any other dealings outside of buying his stuff).

But a lot of the posts around here are about not getting goods, getting broken goods, being ripped off etc etc. See the latest saga about awesomehobbies..... as an example.

Therefore I think its worth occassionally promoting good dealers. Its healthy for the hobby as newcomers getting ripped off drives people away and by supporting good dealers we will be assured of reliable quality service over the long term.

And Ihave also had good sevice from places stateside. I cannot say Iever tried a Canadian dealer.

As to British companies...Ithink the smaller outfits are more flexible than the rest. I have noticed that the billing system on one or two of them Iuse automatically deducts VAT once Ichoose Norway as the destination. Others...Idrop them an email to let them know.

p

Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

Well, so far, I have to give Dominique at RCTank.de aces all round.

Very fast reply to my query, and when I sent in my order to be adjusted (selecting cheque/MO/whatever) instead of PayPal so it could be reviewed and adjusted, I had the adjusted invoice back and ~paid~ inside of a half hour.

Now the clock is ticking, and its early morning over there. I'll let you know when it goes out, when it arrives, and if its as good as everyone says (aka if I get a flashed-sprue run, or a better one)

And yea, I'm NOT expecting Tamiya quality here.

And FWIW, Hooben's price for the same 'option' was $308 & shipping. Its coming from RCTank.de at these rates: €193.24 ($273.16) for the Hooben 1/16 scale T-55; €12.56 ($17.75) for the HQ T-55 Road wheels sockets (bushings); thats $290.91 Cdn which is over $10 cheaper than Hoobens' kit w/o the bushings. €46.90 ($66.30) for Shipping & Handling (anyone have a quote from Hooben to Canada/US?)

The total was €252.70 ($357.22 Cdn according to PayPal's exchange rate...) Thats at 0.7074 € to the Loonie via PayPal, 0.7218 € to the Loonie or so by XE)[/ul] Now ya know why PayPal stays around, they SKIM the rates.

Dammit, reminds me I need to talk to Nick about an M36 turret... if he's still makin' 'em.

WhiteWolf

PS: Need some help here... anyone know where those pics of the T-55 sprue flash are? Dominique asked about the 'issue' and I said I'd send the pics, ~if~ I could find 'em. So far, no luck.

Anyone save 'em or remember the thread?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

The only photo I remember seeing was what Eric Scott posted in his build review

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

BTW, don't worry more T-55 are on the way. I'm finally getting around to picking one up after they finish with the next run in 2 weeks.