Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Why the hate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM
(RC)Tanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the hate?

Well, Ive been looking at RC combat tanks for a while and I have one question. Since we dont have armor or anything, why the french hate????
Just to lame? Not good speed, weapons stink? Whats the reason why no one manufactures french tanks? I once spent 5 days looking for a Char bis.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Why the hate?

They're not along in being ignored, there's no Brit armour available either [&:]
Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nor Italian or Japanese...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Indeed
Old 06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep! Love the smaller tanks!

- Jeff
Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a tank can't be designed around a Pershing or Tiger hull, it's too much work.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 PM
karel47

yes and no belgian armor also
Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Pershing.Driver

not hate economics

If I make "a" and can sell 15000 or I can make "b" and sell 5000. Given that the one time engineering costs are the same which do you think a corporation will choose to build.

For the other less "popular" tanks it will take "cottage industries" such as ETO, Ludwig, Wechoe to bring those tanks to market and if they are very lucky they will break even.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Maybe they have trouble building gearboxes with 21 reverse and 1 forward gear for the French tanks?

p
Old 06-19-2011, 07:09 AM
starskey

HI
Well i think someone should get onto Heng Long, Hooben, Bandai, Matorro and Tamiya and ask them
or you could always scratch build them
I think someone has scratch built some British, French and Japanese tanks
but I don't know if they are on this forum or not
I have seen pictures of scratch built tanks or so they say and they do look very good
Jon
Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

In the battle for France at the start of WW2 the French had Tanks that were better then Germany at that time they just used them differently .
France used there tanks in a supporting roll for the army were Germany used there solders in a supporting roll to the tanks it made the German Tanks faster to deploy around the battle field .
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: (RC)Tanker

Well, Ive been looking at RC combat tanks for a while and I have one question. Since we dont have armor or anything, why the french hate????
Just to lame? Not good speed, weapons stink? Whats the reason why no one manufactures french tanks? I once spent 5 days looking for a Char bis.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give details on the Char bis you found........scale? r/c? source? cost?

My non-expert opinion...........
I wouldn't use the word hate, but the word "unpopular" comes to mind...............they didn't see much combat except for some engagements prior to Dunkerque. Consequently, they don't have a reputation to support popularity amongst model builders. I understand that the French had some good tanks, and had a good number of them, but they were poorly deployed, organized, and didn't have an effective strategy or tactics for opposing the Germans. Some historians have stated that the panzer commanders were not sure that the French could be beaten at the outset of hostilities. The tanks that did survive were used by the German occupation in police control of the local civilian population. The British were in the same boat (no Dunkerque pun intended) but went on to victory in North Africa and in other theaters of war.

This makes me ask all of you......were there any French tanks in North Africa that saw any combat? Any French tanks at all?

Rex

Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: bowlman

In the battle for France at the start of WW2 the French had Tanks that were better then Germany at that time they just used them differently .
France used there tanks in a supporting roll for the army were Germany used there solders in a supporting roll to the tanks it made the German Tanks faster to deploy around the battle field .
~~~~~~~~

I agree......
Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Renault light tanks used against the U.S. durring the Torch landings and then against the Germans when French joined the Allied cause in North Africa
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 AM
(RC)Tanker

ORIGINAL: Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: (RC)Tanker

~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give details on the Char bis you found........scale? r/c? source? cost?

My non-expert opinion...........
I wouldn't use the word hate, but the word "unpopular" comes to mind...............they didn't see much combat except for some engagements prior to Dunkerque. Consequently, they don't have a reputation to support popularity amongst model builders. I understand that the French had some good tanks, and had a good number of them, but they were poorly deployed, organized, and didn't have an effective strategy or tactics for opposing the Germans. Some historians have stated that the panzer commanders were not sure that the French could be beaten at the outset of hostilities. The tanks that did survive were used by the German occupation in police control of the local civilian population. The British were in the same boat (no Dunkerque pun intended) but went on to victory in North Africa and in other theaters of war.

This makes me ask all of you......were there any French tanks in North Africa that saw any combat? Any French tanks at all?

Rex

I only found some lame model in yugoslavia that was 1/35, no suspension, no IR combat, not even a moving mantle.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Which begs the question, do you own a 1/16 RC tank yet? If so, what?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM
(RC)Tanker

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Which begs the question, do you own a 1/16 RC tank yet? If so, what?
No, I'm only twelve and my 10 year old brother are saving up to buy tanks(preferably make, currently researching)

Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM
sevoblast

Thought so. OK, my young friend, here's the drill. We have tankers from all over the spectrum here, and what I say is in NO WAY denigrating anyone's choice of tank, make, or model. I personally have somewhere around 15 1/16 tanks, most Tamiya, a few Heng Long, and 1, soon to be 2, Hoobens (that's assuming the rest of you lads leave me at least one Elefant for Joey to send to the digs).

However, some of us spend rather much money on our tanks, doesn't matter who makes the ready to run tank or the kit, monies that would shock some, including some or our wives. I am blessed with a wife, known as VCO, in that she is in to the tanks also.

Some of us go for virtually museum pieces in construction and detail (look at Yellowshaker's KT build thread), some of us are fighters with IR, and some of us build both. I do both, as does my charming bride. We fight with IR in competitions in USA, EU, and beginning in former SSSR. Ergo, while I know you are quite young and imaginative, we do not go for having our expensive tanks damaged beyond the normal bumps and scrapes from IR competitions.

Many of us are heavily in to the historic research to build a particular tank at a particular time, and also in to the latest developments in IR technology, transmission and motor developments, and ways to make our tanks stronger. It never ends. For some of your questions, google is your friend. For other questions, some of the lads here will answer, but please remember, for many of us the end result will be a tank worth well over $500, and in some instances far more.

https://app.ecwid.com/jsp/506055/sim...roduct=5005390

However, as a member of the Old Guard (tanking since '94), I welcome you to our hobby. I know that with time you will grow in to the hobby, and have a wonderful time. We all start as neophytes, and gain knowledge and skills with time and hands on experience.

Best regards
Sevoblast
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38738.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1625184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wv73351.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1625185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58261.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1625186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16012.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1625187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po49323.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1625188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy42643.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1625189  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Absolutely hilarious....AWESOME!

ORIGINAL: lposter

Maybe they have trouble building gearboxes with 21 reverse and 1 forward gear for the French tanks?

p
Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Ah Bob! I'm particularly fond of image #1!

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/t...83/Qo38738.jpg

Jerry
Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't the French tanks....fact is, in spite of the poor design, they were better than the German tanks of that era...only the lack of leadership and out moded tactics wasted them. Patton's first tanks were French FT-13s.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 AM
sevoblast

Figured you might like that one, Jerry. Near and dear to both our hearts! Photos don't do him justice, as you well know. And I've always been rather fond of the attached photo also.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46011.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1625277  
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I still have that video book marked; one of my fav rc tank vids....

Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

pmerritt:
Absolutely hilarious....AWESOME!

:

lposter:

Naw, they couldn't build a tank with that many gears... or gather that many crew to pedal-power it either!

But are there a few things with 'French' in the name we like/admire/whatever: French Fries? French Foreign Legion? French Toast? French Kissing?

(feel free to add to the list...)
Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM
mergen

The French had an Army ? Hmmm! dident know that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.