Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The Tanker's Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Tanker's Lounge

been working out the issues with making a e100 out of a hl king tiger.....wheels anyone?

I was messing around with some heng long wheels and some 2inch id pvc pipe......king tiger wheels were 800mm....that 50mm in 1:16...the proto type e100 has 900mm wheels....thats 56.25 mm in 1:16....

look ok so I open the wheel factory....

adding all the bolt heads is going to be apia.....I am going to have to figure out the center caps.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rex,
I remeber see a you-tube video on Germans applying white wash. Unfortunatley, I didin't save the video, but I bet under a search of German winter Camo it will come up. Hope this helps a little.

jim
Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

Rex,
I remeber see a you-tube video on Germans applying white wash. Unfortunatley, I didin't save the video, but I bet under a search of German winter Camo it will come up. Hope this helps a little.

jim
~~~~~

I guess what I am thinking of is an early spring camo paint scheme. Something that would blend in with patches of snow and patches of bare dirt,dead trees and bushes. The middle of winter camo paint where the tank is totally white kinda depends on how much whitewash you have. I remember seeing a film of a US GI applying paint to his Sherman by slinging a bucket of the white stuff at his tank. He got more on himself than the Sherman.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Going to take my son to the wheels of time tomorrow. http://www.wheelsoftime.org/
If anyone that is interested in these cars, and are within driving distance and have never been to this event, I highly recommend this. Its in Macungie, Pa and well worth it.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM
mustclime

Spent a couple hourscutting pvctubbing to make my king tiger wheels larger so they can be used on the e100. Pretty easyprocess after you figureit out....I still have not found a solvent glue that works on hl tarcks butI have not found anyplacethat sells MEK....
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Green Amphibian

Lowe's hardware sells it in the paint department.

Herman
Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 AM
mustclime

not in ny or nj...been to 4 stores and they haveMEK substatute, not MEK. No go with homedepooo ether. Thinking there might be a lawagainst the stuff.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Perry S.

I buy mine where I buy my auto painting supplies.

Perry
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM
mustclime

I will need to look at that........
Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 AM
mustclime

I really need to get one of these.......you never know when you will need one.....

http://www.wecohe.de/shop/index.php?...products_id=44
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: mustclime

not in ny or nj...been to 4 stores and they haveMEK substatute, not MEK. No go with homedepooo ether. Thinking there might be a lawagainst the stuff.
Well it definitely is illegal in California, not sure about other states.

Do you consider Testors Liquid Cement for Plastics (#3502) just a MEK substitute?

It has Acetates & Methyl Ethyl Ketone listed on it for the ingredients, but I'm not sure the concentration needed to consider it actually being MEK & not just a MEK substitute. I would think it should be available in most local hobby shops, mine in PA had it.

If that isn't good enough, & rather than driving all around searching for it locally, is there any reason you aren't just ordering MEK online from a vendor somewhere or from eBay, it seems fairly easy to find online during a search? Just wondering .

~ Craig ~

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
mustclime

I really need some kind of solvent/glue that will work with the injection molded platic that hl/tamiya make their tracks out of. I am trying to make the 50mm wide king tiger tracks into 60mm wide tracks for the e100.......

Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

I really need some kind of solvent/glue that will work with the injection molded platic that hl/tamiya make their tracks out of. I am trying to make the 50mm wide king tiger tracks into 60mm wide tracks for the e100.......
Yes, I read & understand what you were trying to achieve, if you can find a solvent that works it will be pretty cool. However, I can't offer any informed advice in which solvent or glues would work to bind the tracks securely, sorry. By the nature of your posts I had figured you already settled on trying MEK for the task, so I was just curious & asking you about your definition when mentioning MEK substitues, as well as your trouble just finding MEK. Not sure MEK will work, but like I mentioned, it seems very easy to just order some MEK online if you can't find it locally, & it's one solvent you really want to experiment with in binding the links.

~ Craig ~

Old 08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Oracus

I think MEK would melt what ever tank part you put it on. At work we use MEK for cleaning up tools when using epoxy based floor coatings.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
mustclime

ORIGINAL: Oracus

I think MEK would melt what ever tank part you put it on. At work we use MEK for cleaning up tools when using epoxy based floor coatings.
It is really nasty stuff, has a bad habbit of eating your liver as well so I hope you use pretection. I tried MEK substatute, didn't work, soaked a tracklink in acitone, didn't brake down. Can't beleive this is so hard to do.Found out a german compeny is going to be making e100 tracks in 1:16.....for 1200 euros...worse cast, I will just use shoegoo but it would not last more than a year.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: Oracus

As far as I know, when using MEK as a bonding solvent (not a cleaner) that's how MEK is supposed to work. By adding very little MEK to each plastic part's surface area to be bonded, the MEK will liquify a small amount of the plastic surface of each part, allowing the actual plastic of each part pressed together to bond to each other as the MEK evaporates & the plastic once again hardens to a solid.

~ Craig ~

Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought.......what about using the sno-leopard tracks as they are made up individual pieces in each section and would be easy to make up just providing longer pins for how every wide you make them...?
Not sure if thats what you after....just an idea........

BIGMIG
Old 08-29-2012, 04:35 AM
mustclime

here is a copy of a e100 track link...it kinda looks like a centered king tiger track with duckbills on it

here is a pic of the tracks ready for shipment....

here is a pic of the tracks installed in the uk

king tiger tracks were 800mm wide( scale is 50mm), the e100 tracks were 1000mm( scale is 62.5mm) ......I am working on a e100 that will use hl king tiger suspension and road wheels( the wheels are going to be made larger to match the prototype e100 900mm).....I am doing this to avoid the alinment problems you run into when putting togathertanktracks and suspension setups. I am trying to make some kingtiger tracks that are 62.5mm wide to help show the tanks size.....my thought wasto make wider tracks and add my own duckbills out of track guide teeth...........the problem is no one can tell me what kind of plastic the hl/tamiya tracks are made out of, if I knew that i could search for a solvent that I could use as a glue....As it is I am just collection anything that might work andmy work shop is startingto look like a bomb factory.......last night a tried using some pvc solvent glue, I will check it when I get home.

if all else fails, it will just build the tank witjh kt tracks but that would kinda be like putting tiger one tracks on a king tiger imo.

btw...here is a 1:16 scale E100 based off of a tamiya king tiger.....stock width kt tracks and wheels....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqsy1SMlSA4

he had to add extra wheels to fill in the extra area under the tracks( e100 was to have 8 road wheels a side, not 11).....this is with a maus 1 turret, mine will be with the maus 2 or krupp turret becuse I hate shot traps.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I was going to suggest PVC glue but I see you have tried that. Another thought I've had, not sure if it would work but, have you seen a plastic welder? Works like a regular welder but with plastic rod, might be an option and the prices vary on welders from cheap to expensive, just like our tanks lol.

Cheers
Wade
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 AM
mustclime

Interesting....just watched some vidios on youtube......I would need to know what kind of plastic the tracks were made out of to use the right rod.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

I was going to suggest PVC glue but I see you have tried that. Another thought I've had, not sure if it would work but, have you seen a plastic welder? Works like a regular welder but with plastic rod, might be an option and the prices vary on welders from cheap to expensive, just like our tanks lol.

Cheers
Wade

Interesting....just watched some vidios on youtube......I would need to know what kind of plastic the tracks were made out of to use the right rod.
Ummmm, call me crazy, but trying to weld tiny little detailed pieces of plastic material together while using hot air to melt them, & a molten stick rod of plastic to weld them together, just seems like it's recipe for disaster unless you want a little deformed plastic lump of art! LOL

I've been out of the industry for over a decade, but I am very familiar with using a plastic welder because I owned one & used it often in our auto body shop. Worked excellent on all kinds of various plastics, & not so good on some too. We had a nice chart for figuring out which type rods to use if we didn't quite know which specific type of plastic was used for the part needing welding, but you use a unique way to determine it ... take a little hunk of the plastic you want to weld, set it on fire, then see how it burned, while examining coloration change & melting properties, does it spittle & pop as it burns, what color smoke does it give off as well as smell a little of the smoke too for sweetness & other attributes, etc. But the one thing I remember most about using it, was that the LARGER & THICKER the item was to be welded, the easier & better it welded!

A big issue was the welds were always supposed to be done into a v-groove style cut on the plastic being welded, allowing for better rod penetration & bonding, which is extremely difficult to do, the smaller the pieces get.

Matter of fact, I just pulled the thing out a couple months ago to weld a fan shroud on my mother's 2001 Blazer which had a nice crack in it!

Of course these were made for larger plastic parts & the auto industry, so maybe they actually do make good ones now which are much smaller & specialize for easy welding of tiny little pieces of plastic with tiny little rods.

~ Craig ~

Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the people who like to fish.Fished,friday,saturday,and today sunday.Got Salmon all three days plus one steelhead.Two Salmon we keep today and lost several,plus we released six wild fish that were not cliped by the hatcheries.The two fish today were 18 and 22 pound Chinook (kings).Had my son-in-law hold one next to my wife.....She is 4' 10 " tall..............

BIGMIG

Yesterday we fished for 4 hours and got fish,then played 18 holes on the golf course...........What a day...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51439.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1797749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58051.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1797750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21582.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1797751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg61247.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1797752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca51593.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1797753  
Old 09-07-2012, 05:31 AM
mustclime

Got my E-100 hull and turret last night...... DHL does stand for Damaged, Hella, Late......one of the front tow hook mounting points got crushed but I think I can rework it with some heat.....
I hope I am not in over my head on this build. I got the "scale" armor thinkness kit, that is the plastic is scale thickness and notched like the germans did it. I am going to need a lot of scale bolts for both the front and rear decks....getting the turret to work has my head spinning....here are some pics from before it shipped....

Landdreadnought best discribes this thing, its huge! Its the same width ofa king tiger with the fenders removed and hull about as long as a king tigerwith the gun tube included.I got the Krupp turret, It was the second design of the maus turret without the shot trap. The turret is so big, you can put it over a porscheking tiger turret with room to spare....

just hope I can do the kit justice.....
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM
tisaksen

Envy!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Very nice Scott, you're going to have fun with this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.