Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Up engineering a HL tiger 1

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Up engineering a HL tiger 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 AM
ploppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up engineering a HL tiger 1

I've been a bit of a lurker for a while and as my first post i've got a question.

After cracking the HL tiger S&S and getting a look at the insides, as an engineer I dispared at the state of the gearboxes
badly formed gear cogs, moving bushes and wobbly shafts and so to work.
took them apart repeen'd the bushes cleaned up the cogs put back together and run in using the method shown in the stickies
thanks guys.
couldn't fix the wobbly shafts however.
still not happy!

Having splashed out on an asiatam lower hull, from welsh dragon models (top service) i've decided to invest in new gearboxes!
my question.
which are the best out there?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Up engineering a HL tiger 1

The new Mato gear boxes are worth a look. They redesigned them in a break away housing, and they seem pretty good. They also have a nice metal mounting plate wth machine screws that attach to the Tiger hull. I have a set I am going to fit in a Sherman

One thing I am finding out about Mato, is that they are listening and constanly improving the products. These upgrade gears are an example of them listening to complaints , and doing something about it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM
AFV432

hi ploppy
welcome aboard

there are quite a few to choose from with varying qualities and issues alike (bit of a minefield)

my asiatam hulled tiger i have the asiatam gearboxes better than h/long ones but a smaller motor still loads of torque and low end speed infact my T34 also has them

if you want good reliable boxes these are my favs but tamiya gearboxes for the Tiger are Good as well

i also own a set of the "blacksteel" gearboxes from h/long and they are pretty darn good to
if your interested try a uk seller like forgebear tanks hes a top bloke and also a regular tank builder/driver
Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: ploppy

I've been a bit of a lurker for a while and as my first post i've got a question.

After cracking the HL tiger S&S and getting a look at the insides, as an engineer I dispared at the state of the gearboxes
badly formed gear cogs, moving bushes and wobbly shafts and so to work.
took them apart repeen'd the bushes cleaned up the cogs put back together and run in using the method shown in the stickies
thanks guys.
couldn't fix the wobbly shafts however.
still not happy!

Having splashed out on an asiatam lower hull, from welsh dragon models (top service) i've decided to invest in new gearboxes!
my question.
which are the best out there?

Welcome Ploppy,

The new HL 3:1 gearbox's are a very good design and on par with Asiatam. I also like that they allow you to use larger motors and and they can take the torque.

The Blitz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90849.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1652988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76644.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	1652989   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27460.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	1652990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25952.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	1652991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16651.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	1652992  
Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 AM
whiteknight1066

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm fascinated by AFV432's T-34 mod. AFV432, where did you get the parts to do the gearbox mod? Is it a kit, or did you source the parts individually? Any help would be appreciated as Iwas looking at mu T34 just this morning wondering how Iwas going to replace the motors...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
AFV432

Hi whiteknight
i'll start another thread so we dont ruin his
Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil

Those pictures are of HL gear Boxes? I did not know they have moved to brass. Interesting, as I have not heard or seen of these before.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM
ploppy

Thanks guys
For your responses I much appreciate your time.
Will probably go with the asiatam gearboxes as the price difference between them and the new H/L is minimal and they are designed for the asiatam hull
Made the mistake of mixing manufacturers before with the mato early wheels they will not fit the asiatam hull without heavy modification so might not use them.
Anyone got a good fix?

Had a look at the IMPACT boxes but don’t think I can get them by the wife! Maybe the next tank.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
AFV432

can you post a pic of the wheels?

might be able to help if you can give a bit more info on them
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impact boxes are usually targeted to the Tamiya buyer anyway. Not many people use them in HL tanks.they are a high end product.
I was intriuged by the new HL boxes Phil was displaying. I too was now awhare that they had gone too brass gears.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 AM
ploppy

I'll try to post pic's of the wheels.
The problem seems to be that the holes are too big and off set. Could probably fix it by drilling them out then shimming with brass tube. the length seems about right with the smaller axels.
In all honestly the problem could be me I could be over engineering this and trying to turn a toy into a machine. It’s the engineer’s disease.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70060.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	1654347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62105.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	1654348  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:25 AM
AFV432

yep that'll fix it i did the asiatam late wheels on mine
i got some 4mm od brass tube from B&Q of all places and fitted m3 allen head bolts a much better fix

no more wheel slop and the m3s are a better fit than the pins that come with as mine even with the tube had ovality issues

can i ask where you got those wheels from?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Impact boxes are usually targeted to the Tamiya buyer anyway. Not many people use them in HL tanks.they are a high end product.
I was intriuged by the new HL boxes Phil was displaying. I too was now awhare that they had gone too brass gears.

Hello Gregg & Dan,

I used the term HL 3:1 brass gearbox, because these new gearbox’s are designed for Heng long tanks. But Mato only offers them for the Tiger 1 & Jagd/ Panther G. I offer them for other models as seen in the Pictures above for the Panzer III & Panzer IV and they have my custom plate not Mato’s and my upgrade Motors not Mato’s. Instead of calling the New Mato version 2 brass 3:1 gearbox with my custom mounting plates & motors. I have made custom plates for the HL KV-1, Bulldog & M-26 Pershing as well. I just called them HL 3:1 brass gearbox, so nothing nefarious going on here. I list them as Mato on my website and as anyone knows who orders from me, I explain exactly what they are getting.

Just like when YHR list the DBC and then shows the DBCRC2 in action,, sure if may confuse a few people as the DBC is a completely different unit, but he is not trying to pull one over on anyone.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
AFV432

hey phil
i think your plate and motors are a great idea

so basically now we can fit the mato boxes in any tank (h/long) not just the jagd or tiger but the others in the range

i think the issue some guys have is the varying amounts and terms people use i know i get a head spin talking asiatam boxes as we now have the mato/h/long copies out there as well

not bad copies if you get a set that have the side plates formed straight and not out by miles
heres hoping the Q.C checks get stepped up on those boxes
Old 09-02-2011, 03:12 PM
ploppy

got the wheels from forgebear great service.
thanks for the tip of the m3 bolts just waiting for them to arrive and then i'll get the wheels mod'ed for fitment.

thanks to all for posting i've taken the plunge and bought a set of asiatam boxes to go with the hull.
thanks again for all your help with this post.

happy tanking!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:48 AM
ploppy

well it's happened
got all the parts together and sat down to get building only to find that the wheels axle holes where so far out of true that I couldn't use them so sent them back for a refund. watch out for the quality of the Mato wheels!
so gone out and bought the asiatam early wheels.
this is getting expensive.
will be adding the Modellbau driveshaft supports as well to take out any play in the drive train.