Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Torro 1/16 Professional Metal Edition King Tiger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Torro 1/16 Professional Metal Edition King Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 AM
no12skyline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Torro 1/16 Professional Metal Edition King Tiger

Why do you guys keep feeding the troll?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Viper54
My Feedback: (1)

the chassy for the torro king tiger looks like a asatam design not bad,but the electronics will fail poor with an all plastic tank
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think some people have jumped to a conclusion without reading the full spec sheet on this tiger. If you read eveything that comes included, it seems as if it on par with Tamiya with respect to the mechanical side of things including torsion bar suspension and a metal hull.

Weakness will be the electronics but with all the new and exciting things happening around this part of the hobby, an opportunity to use something different then Tamiya is presented. I agree Tamiya is the bench mark to measure against but the reality of this hobby is that Tamiya is standing still, and other people are forging ahead. It should come to no one's surprise that at some point Tamiya will be eclipsed. It is already happening on the electronics front. You have the SLU that seems to be on Par with Tamiya for less money, and then you have the El Mod, Benedini and Beier system that sound better then Tamiya.

If someone is not allowed to say the Tamiya bench mark has been surpassed, then we are in trouble. Investment dollars and engineering are being invested in RC tanks, and most of it is not by Tamiya. It stands to reason then that others are advancing this hobby, and one day will be in an advanced position. I have not seen this KT, but I will keep on open mind about what it might have to offer before I dismiss it as junk

The latest Metal Suspension offering by Mato is an example of progress. The suspension is great, strong, and made out of metal. The Mato Plastic Sherman tracks are bullet proof. The reason I focused on the Mato Sherman is that it is not a copy of Tamiya engineering. It is new and fresh. There are all kinds of examples starting to show up that are going to be a real challenge for Tamiya in the near future. So is Tamiya going to answer the challenge, or settle for reissue of old kits???
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have to agree with you on the point that Tamiya may soon if not already be surpassed as the bench mark for what is available for electronics systems.
I still tend towards Tamiya as that is what I know. For me they are a fast plug and play system with little or no probramming. But there are certainly many very nice features on these new systems and I certainly do not dissmiss them at all. I actually look forwrad to using the SLU system in a project I have.
I think that the whole KT release has been handled poorly by the manufactureres as know one seems to really know one brand from the other and who will have what in it.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Perry S.

ORIGINAL: no12skyline

Still trying to figure out which one is the troll. The 'Tam is plastic guy' or the ones that pound the tamiya name down our throats on EVERY SINGLE non-tamiya thread. Look at the title of this post. 'Torro 1/16 Professional Metal Edition King Tiger' Count the number of time Tamiya shows up in this thread vs. Torro. Is it possible that when someone asks about the Torro tank they actually want to hear about the Torro tank? Any Torro pic's in this thread? Any Tamiya pic's in this Torro thread?

Don't mean to incite and this has generally been a civil thread but it does get to be a bit of a broken record. Sometimes, however crazy it might seem to some, people want to know some information about a non tamiya tank.

Perry
Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Tamiya is mostly  plastic and Im fond of the notion that metal is a better material.

But you do not find meon every thread dealing with plastic tanks saying that.

On the other hand, there are some who appear on every METALL tank thread with the same angle.

If one looks on Page 1 of this thread, count how many posts it takes before the first "Yeah but Tamiya is better for the money" comment appears.

Its geetting so one cannot mention any new tank without that comment appears.

Maybe some people sell Tamiya tanks on the side or something,.....

p
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
lposter

And if anyone is interested, the UK RC Tank site had a sort of review with a bit of a comparison between a Tamiya KT and this one.

Weighing in at 18 kg (sweet!) this guy says the detail level isbetter than the Tamiya.

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forum...php?f=1&t=7977

Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

ORIGINAL: no12skyline

Still trying to figure out which one is the troll. The 'Tam is plastic guy' or the ones that pound the tamiya name down our throats on EVERY SINGLE non-tamiya thread. Look at the title of this post. 'Torro 1/16 Professional Metal Edition King Tiger' Count the number of time Tamiya shows up in this thread vs. Torro. Is it possible that when someone asks about the Torro tank they actually want to hear about the Torro tank? Any Torro pic's in this thread? Any Tamiya pic's in this Torro thread?

Don't mean to incite and this has generally been a civil thread but it does get to be a bit of a broken record. Sometimes, however crazy it might seem to some, people want to know some information about a non tamiya tank.

Perry

Perry, I personally know Karl, you do not, what I can say about Karl is that he has owned several makes of tanks including the hated Tamiya, the much loved Heng Long along with various other makes so he is one of the few who can compare what he has owned, Karl recently spent a lot of time converting a Heng Long Panther G but at the end of the day to bring it up to Tamiya spec with detail and electrics would have cost considerably more than a Tamiya, last year I read about a chap in England who had spent nearly 1000£ on a Heng Long Tiger and admitted that if he had known what the project would have cost then he would have bought the Tamiya and had a better tank, what Karl is saying is from personal experience he doesn’t boast much but he has a tank fleet of 8 or probably more tanks in 1/16 yes mostly Tamiya but not all.
No he’s not a Troll just tells it how he sees it

Iposter, I personally don’t know but he has a different point of view, I believe he’s more into putting his tanks through their paces in the most extreme conditions detail means little performance is everything, from the sounds of things he’s also owned tanks from a few manufactures and there are probably few on here who would take their tanks where he would.
Apology’s if I’m completely wrong.
No he’s also not a troll again he has his own opinion just because some people don’t agree with these two chaps doesn’t warrant them being given the title of Troll admittedly by the minority, democracy means everyone is entitled to their opinion even if you don’t agree.

In some countries people are very direct and will tell you their opinion this is not rudness.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Panther G

Speaking of Trolls' where did no12skyline show up from. I have never seen this name in any post i can remember so who is the real troll? I do not make any assumptions on any brand of tank until I see it PERFORM in person. I for one consider performance and reliability to be the number one factor in which brand I buy. If you look at it from that perspective things become clearer. Now, from the specs of this particular tank it looks quite impressive. BUT knowing Torro's reputations on electronics performance , with out seeing it perform I would normally presume it is going to be a dog. But like I said until I see one or speak too some one who can objectively speak on it from personally seeing it perform I cant presume.
Now with the new HL KT , I have seen it in person and as usuall OTB it looks toyish. That doesn't mean it didnt perform like a toy, it actually performs quite well for such a large tqank. And it is large. I statrted with HL tanks and moved on too Tamiya tanks and have converted a few HL's to perform better. They cost as much or more than to buy a Tamiya kit. It is just that level of performance that I will settle for. Everyone starts too presume too much from every brand until someone actually gets to use the model first hand.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lposter

And if anyone is interested, the UK RC Tank site had a sort of review with a bit of a comparison between a Tamiya KT and this one.

Weighing in at 18 kg (sweet!) this guy says the detail level is better than the Tamiya.

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forum...php?f=1&t=7977

Interesting comparison from someone who has a Tamiya KT. It certinaly isn't your ordinary Matorrro
Old 09-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Perry S.

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

Perry, I personally know Karl, you do not, what I can say about Karl is that he has owned several makes of tanks including the hated Tamiya, the much loved Heng Long along with various other makes so he is one of the few who can compare what he has owned, Karl recently spent a lot of time converting a Heng Long Panther G but at the end of the day to bring it up to Tamiya spec with detail and electrics would have cost considerably more than a Tamiya, last year I read about a chap in England who had spent nearly 1000£ on a Heng Long Tiger and admitted that if he had known what the project would have cost then he would have bought the Tamiya and had a better tank, what Karl is saying is from personal experience he doesn’t boast much but he has a tank fleet of 8 or probably more tanks in 1/16 yes mostly Tamiya but not all.
No he’s not a Troll just tells it how he sees it

Iposter, I personally don’t know but he has a different point of view, I believe he’s more into putting his tanks through their paces in the most extreme conditions detail means little performance is everything, from the sounds of things he’s also owned tanks from a few manufactures and there are probably few on here who would take their tanks where he would.
Apology’s if I’m completely wrong.
No he’s also not a troll again he has his own opinion just because some people don’t agree with these two chaps doesn’t warrant them being given the title of Troll admittedly by the minority, democracy means everyone is entitled to their opinion even if you don’t agree.

In some countries people are very direct and will tell you their opinion this is not rudness.

Hello Rivet,
I don't think either are trolls. I was just commenting on the previous post I quoted. My point is somewhat reinforced by your story of Karl's builds and the cost involved. Nobody was asking. The OP was just wanting to know something about the Torro tank. If the title of the post was 'how does the Torro tank compare to the Tams' then have at it. Tell us your story yet again. But it wasn't.

I am not quite sure what you mean by your 'in some countries' comment. I think that applies to all countries, all people.

Perry

Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
karel47

thanks mark for the support

he YHR looks promising hope to see pictures of it will he post them here too?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I picked up on the thread when it began to evolve to plastic vs. metal for detail. As for who's tank is better in original quality, that's a judgment call we all have to make, based on our personal experience and what we want to do with the tank. All of us who've been here for some time have seen the countless posts as to 'my Tammy or HL or Wecohe or Matto or Hooben' is better because....and this battle does not have to be revisited IMO. The only time we have to list the merits of each is when a new tanker asks, and then the information should be provided in a thoughtful, informative, and truthful manner without spiraling down to a fight.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Tamiya having better electronics and having more stablity in the hull for flexor in the way things are attachedbut as for Heng Long it's a good way to get into this hobby at which someone like me could afford.
I put a lot into my HL tanks mostly time in painting, it don't make it any betterinrunning but i enjoy painting i have been a sign painter for over 23 years.
i upgraded 2 HLtanks with the DBC/DBU i added rear tail light to my KV-1 and switched the smoker to work the way it was suppose to be to the exhaust pipes on the top of the KV-1. Iopen the Sponson boxes except one i still have to do, i mean this kind of stuff is fun for me it takes my mind off of things. adding these things don't cost me money being a signpainter i have styrene laying around ihave metallaying around,i added side skirts to the Panther G made my own Hangers i don't think that arguing that a Tamiya plastic tankis better than a HL plastic tank, i agree that Tamiya electronics is better than a HL electronics but in the case of the Mato Metal Tiger if you put Tamiya electronics or a SLU system in that baby it's going to kick some serious butt, i can't say anything about IBU i don't know the system and the only ones that can say something about it are the guys that have them.
Now in the case of the WSN T-34 that plastic is thin ...lol you can say ya my HLand a Tamiya plastic is way better and my HL electronics and the Tamiya electronics are way better
i'm not arguing my HL is better i'm just saying respect that i have a Tank that i spent hours customizing and having fun doing as i respect the time and fun you had doing your Tamiya let me have my fun, if my tank can battle with yours and we all have a laugh doing it then it's all worth it
Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM
sevoblast

LOL...any time you want to battle with me, you are very welcome to do so. However, it's a bit of a drive. Take the ferry from Nova Scotia to Dunkirk, after landing drive east to KIev, take a right........
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

hehehe i'll be right there...lol
i might have to stop for gas though
Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
sevoblast

LOL. Probable more than once.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 AM
snakestretcher52

Airbrushler got it in one. Plastic/metal, Tamiya/HL, pro/non-pro...who cares, really? Isn't this supposed to be about having fun? After all-and let's be a little realistic here-we're grown-ups playing with toy tanks, regardless of the spin we try to put on it. There's a real danger of taking this whole RC thing way too seriously.
My other hobby is model railways and I face the same things with forum members on MR sites. 'It isn't realistic' they cry. Well, if you think a plastic steam loco powered by an electric motor, emitting electronically-generatedsmokeis 'realism'...

Have a great day everyone.

Cheers,
Snake
Old 09-29-2011, 03:35 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: snakestretcher52

There's a real danger of taking this whole RC thing way too seriously.

You're so right Snake but it's been great reading material first thing of the morning instead of that newspaper.

~ Jeff
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 AM
karel47

yes it is jeff
Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 AM
no12skyline

I read this forum daily, and do not post as often as I read simply because I'm so new in RC tanking that I'd only be asking questions. And since most questions have already been asked......

Feel free to look up my 72 other posts I made, all on this forum only.

I've read this exchange of plastic vs. metal, Tamiya vs. others more than once, the last time I recall it sprang out from the Aeromate Tiger thread, where I actually tried to give my two cents' worth. The same points were made, the same counterpoints were raised, rinse and repeat, ad nausem. Perhaps troll wasn't the best choice of words, but I had deliberately not named names, so that the discussion can move on from there.

Like someone mentioned, its not about which is better, the thread title is about the Torro King Tiger itself.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 AM
lposter

Like someone mentioned, its not about which is better, the thread title is about the Torro King Tiger itself.
That is true....and the title of the thread isTorro 1/16 Professional Metal Edition King Tiger.

It is therefore well within the bounds to discuss theh advantages or not of its being METAL and mademostly of Metal.

It is not well within the bounds to deride it out of hand for being made by someone who is not Tamiya.

That is not acceptable at all.

p

Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 AM
karel47

yes that is iposter but don't argue on other brands wich the area you haven't expertise intoyou, that's the reason why the older guy go full throttle ...what YHR brings forward was very positive but still haven't seen any pic of this new generation metal tanks just the internet ones ... no insults iposter was ment friendly

has anyone news on the asiatam metal ones ?

you know i love tamiya but i know they get stagned, no advance ... while mato and asiatam ... quite young brands made so much progress lately ... that's good for the hobby ... we want more , better , if it can cheaper but no lesser quality work into
if mato stay's this way maybe my next can be one to but with almost 20 pieces of1/16 tanks and 7 to build i think it could take a while to get over the work i suppose

am eager to see it perform with a benedini in it with full metal gearboxes it would awesome to drive 18 kg's not light would be acting it realer that's for shore
Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm glad there are so many different levels of this hobby to get into. You can load up on a Tamiya or just put some metal tracks on a Heng Long.

It's all good.

~ Jeff
Old 09-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Panther G

It still all boils down to personal preference and usage style.