Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Replacing track on HL KT

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:04 PM
harleridr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing track on HL KT

Hi Guys
I need a little help. During a little breakin trial I had one of the track pins slide out . What is the best way to replace the track? I did not see any screws in the idler or drive sprockets for an easy removal.
Thanks Harle
Old 10-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Replacing track on HL KT

I can usually get the pins in with the tank all together, howver, I have attached a couple pictures.

My HL KT is currently a work in progress, getting made over to No. 314 "Anneliese" of Abt 503, Humgary Oct. 1944, so the pictures are pieces of it.

Both the idler and the sprocket have "hub caps"

I use a very thin blade to carefully remove them by prying.

The sprocke has a 2.5 mm hex head, the idler has a Philips screw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25903.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1675271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92063.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1675272  
Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Glen B

I have various photos on this thread of other HL KT parts; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10724704/tm.htm
Old 10-16-2011, 04:52 PM
FreakyDude

harleridr  
your track pins have a knurled end and a non knurled end, you can take a small phillips screw driver and use the tip to push the pins out, opposite to get them back in, I used the side of a pair of bent needle nose pliers, I push the pin with my fingers almost to the end and the pliers for the last 1/4 inch or so.
Actually quite simple. you should have spare track links and pins in the box your tank came in.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 PM
harleridr

Thanks Glen
I have been following your thread closely. I am waiting for my metal tracks to arrive from Phil sometime this month.
Harle
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 AM
wright 971

Hi Do not try to take off the rear idler as shown in the photo above it dosnt come off like that ,if you need to remove the rear idler there are 3 screws on the inside face of the idler ,there not easy to get at ,you have to get them by turning the tank upside down and get them from under neath ,once you have undone these the idler splits and there is a screw holding the other part to the tank..

The sprocket take the hub cover off ,take a close look there is a place for a small flat screwdriver to filp it out ,once removed there is an allen screw to remove to take the sprocket off.

regards pete
Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Glen B

ORIGINAL: wright 971

Hi Do not try to take off the rear idler as shown in the photo above it dosnt come off like that ,if you need to remove the rear idler there are 3 screws on the inside face of the idler ,there not easy to get at ,you have to get them by turning the tank upside down and get them from under neath ,once you have undone these the idler splits and there is a screw holding the other part to the tank..
Actually, the rear idler has a cap that can be removed with a chisle point type X-Acto type blade.

It is not easy to see but I have a photo of it in my post of 9/29/2011, on page 3 of; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._3/key_/tm.htm

Once the cap is removed, the single Philips head screw that hold the idler on and serves as the axle can be easily removed.

It is in the bottom row of pictures. The left picture shows the cap, the middle one shows the idler with the cap removed and the right showes the idler (removed) with the screw.

This is how I removed it for painting, I did not have to take the idler apart, fortunately.

But back to the subject, this is what I would do before taking anything else apart;

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

harleridr
your track pins have a knurled end and a non knurled end, you can take a small phillips screw driver and use the tip to push the pins out, opposite to get them back in, I used the side of a pair of bent needle nose pliers, I push the pin with my fingers almost to the end and the pliers for the last 1/4 inch or so.
Actually quite simple. you should have spare track links and pins in the box your tank came in.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Glen B

Here are some photographs of the rear idle, in case someone has to remove them, as I did for painting.

Left; the cap that covers the screw, shown removed from the idler.

Middle; the idler with the cap removed, the Philips head screw is barely visible.

Right; idler and screw after removal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29825.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1675700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75283.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1675701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39369.jpg
Views:	20