Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

H L Main Gun Dysfunction...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

H L Main Gun Dysfunction...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default H L Main Gun Dysfunction...

My HL IR Panther G will not fire the main gun. All other functions work fine.

It worked at first, then one time the barrel went in and stuck... it stayed that way till one day, when I was working on it and the barrel came back out when I crossed some wires, not sure what wires, and it has not worked at all after that.

I have inspected the solder joints, changed battery, tried a different transmiter, looked at wireing diagrams, put a contanuity checker on the wires and checked out each curcit with a volt meter. I know there is power to the recoil motor and muzle flash because they will activate if I push the gun barrel in by hand. I can also trigger the flash/recoil if I close the contacts on the three way micro switch on the side of the recoil unit. Still, I get nothing when I do left stick up, and the "K" button will do track recoil and sound but not gun recoil or flash.

My volt meter shows a .01 volt pulse to the recoil motor when I do left stick up, and about 4.5 volts when I trigger the three way switch by hand.

Any ideas?

Am I missing something obvious?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: H L Main Gun Dysfunction...

That sounds like a problem in the Rx18 main board. You may need a new one. Fortunately they are not expensive, and it is easy to keep a couple of extra's on hand as I did when most of my tanks where HL or HL powered. Nearly all of them except for one is converted to one system or another. I still keep one or two boards on hand just for that one tank.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Pah co chu puk

That is what I was starting to suspect... the RX 18.

Any way to test it?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Pah co chu puk

I switched out the RX 18 board with the one in my Tiger, it's got a broken idler, and sure enough, it works great.

The Tiger is out of service so it can lend the Panther a RX 18 for a while.  Now the Panther can hunt again.  Thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime. Like I said, at least they are not expensive and just about anyone ca afford to have a spare or 2 on hand. It is just a fact with the HL tanks. 
But that is the best part of them. They are affordable.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:04 PM
SDCPs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crossing the wires probably fried it

But yes, I noticed the extremely low voltage "pulse" sent to the, in this case recoil, motor via the board...and I don't understand how that can turn the motor. Maybe with less resistance more current flows? Could anyone explain this?