Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Christmas comes early

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM
takevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas comes early

Soooo been wanting a 1/9 abrams for awhile now, lost to several bids over the past many months on ebay. The wife split the cost with me to get this for me for Christmas! Finally found one from a member from here, real nice guy and struck a deal. After I finish my 1/16 King Tiger to use as a working model for my scratchbuilt 1/4 King Tiger that I will start next year I plan on redoing this abrams from the ground up. The lower hull will be completely reinforced, all wheels, sprockets and rollers will be recast in a resin/metal powder so they'll be really strong. All suspension will be redone also. The upper hull will get detailed treatment, new paint job, followed by Elmod electronics and airtronics 8ch radio. This was bigger then I had thought, bigger then my 1/6 scale Stuart.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:54 PM
DJLaPalme

Default RE: Christmas comes early

I'm happy for you Takevin. The one you bought looks to be in better shape than mine. I too plan on changing out the electronics and the drive train. Just not sure when I will get started on it. The short gun tube sure looks out right silly, don't it. If you know where to get suspension parts or anything else for these please let me know. Dennis
Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM
takevin

The other part of the tube is on top of the tank, just have it pulled off. It's actually been extended by the previous owner. I plan on scratch building the suspension parts, I will document it as I go by when I get started.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

looks like a nice one congrats!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM
texchap

Yep, that was mine.   Glad to see it made it intact.   The barrel was extended to scale length.   The decals were custom made using a scanner and a decal sheet.   The figure is a 1/9 figure that is no longer available,  The M240 came from Tankzone and the 50 cal from some aviation RC hobby shop.   It was fun.   I'm glad to see it went to a "good home" and I'm looking forward to seeing the upgrades!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I would jump on one of these to if i ever come across one. Really cool. Looks like you could easily upgrade it with common off the shelf parts too.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when you pull the boards out of it put them on here or ebay if they are working boards and they will sell right away.Can't buy them anywhere other than finding used one's.Allways someone looking for them.

BIGMIG
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM
harleridr

Hi
Are you into large scale model railroads too?
Harle
Old 12-25-2011, 02:23 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

me too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph3R9KjOLBg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_6YBN1DS0

and tanks and lcm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m87ls-CLQUY
Old 12-25-2011, 05:05 PM
rat now
My Feedback: (4)

Nice find, I have one as well that I havnt done the work to yet. Its a very impressive tank just needs some help. Where do you get accessories for this size (sandbags, netting, extra tracks)?
Thanks
Rat
Old 12-25-2011, 07:03 PM
takevin

ORIGINAL: harleridr

Hi
Are you into large scale model railroads too?
Harle

Yep, g scale for the outside, and N and HO in the house, also r/c boats. Have about 12 ships in the fleet, the biggest is a scratchbuilt 8.5 foot WWII aircraft carrier, the next is a 5.5 foot USS Missouri.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:05 PM
takevin

ORIGINAL: rat now

Nice find, I have one as well that I havnt done the work to yet. Its a very impressive tank just needs some help. Where do you get accessories for this size (sandbags, netting, extra tracks)?
Thanks
Rat
All the accessories once I start this will be scratchbuilt, cept for stuff like the netting, tracks etc. I have extra tracks, ill be offering at some point extra pieces of tracks, wheels redone in a metal power/resin mix, etc on other stuff.