Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Metal Track performance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 AM
TeTris MoNk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Track performance?

What is needed for a tank to run as fast as it did with the standard tracks? Obviously the metal tracks slow down the tank. Do you need to buy new motors? and what is needed to keep the motors safe when running metal tracks? (not overheating)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Metal Track performance?

This really depends on what electronics you are running and what motors you plan to use. If HL electrics, then 400 motors should be no trouble with overheating and you will have good speed as well.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 AM
1sgt

Half my HL tanks have metal tracks ( with metal gears too) and I have not had any problem running them over my plastic tracked tanks. In fact, I prefer the metal tracks ( again with metal gears ) over the plastic ones as the extra weight gives the tank a more prototypical performance.

Jim
Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had some issues on my Tiger with metal tracks coming off the drive sprocket with the HL standard metal gears... the drive shafts were sloppy. Switched to mato 3:1 gears (also on my Pnz3)... 100x better, no driveshaft slop, rock solid. I enjoy my metal tracks, less to worry about in those off road environments
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
CaptainB

Well I have to say, I'm not impressed with metal tracks. I have just fitted a set of mato tracksto a Jagdpanther and a panzer iii and the tracks were to short - even with the spare links supplied.
I've tried most of the HL tanks with metal tracks and I think they are a waste of time and money.My tanks run much better over grass and rough-terrain with the plastic tracks. Metal gears and sprockets are acceptable though.
As for 3:1 gearboxes, whats wrong with reducingthe throttle for realistic movement? I know about the torque arguement but my tanks all pull and clinmb quite nicely so whats the problem?

Sorry to rant but i'm getting a bit frustrated with Heng Long upgrades etc that don't fit well.

CaptB
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's why Tamiya tanks have adjustable idlers for track tension. Plastic and metal tracks are not the same.

~ Jeff
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
DirtyBird69

Where did you get your tracks(that could have something to do with it)? You also have to "stretch" the tracks a bit before install if they are too tight.....To do this you simply flex the tracks into a tight circle inside-out and just keep working/rolling the tracks by hand with a little pressure during the flexing and work each link to make sure there is free movement in all directions...takes me about 20-30 minto do both tracks. But ifyou do just one and then lay it on a flat surface next to the unstretched track you will see a big difference. Tracks rarely willwork right out of the box(even though they should)...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Green Amphibian

I have metal tracks on both of my LVT's and my M4 and really like the performance I get from them. The plastic track on my Tiger 1 is OK, but I am thinking of replacing it with metal also.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Nothing. In my experience of about 20 years in this hobby, metal tracks to not slow down any of my Tammy's at all. However, they do add mass to the tank, and with metal I can climb and fight better. But then, I don't build models, I build fighters.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As for metal track tightness yes, initially on my HL Tiger they were pretty tight, so much so that I just slipped in a plastic link and ran it like that for a few outings. Then after maybe a total of an hour running casually, they slackened right off and I removed the link, presto, perfectly fitted tracks.

On my Pnz3, I also ordered the very awesome track tensioner (yay mato toys!) and it works wonders, no need to break in those tracks. I'm a new fan of the 3:1 more for the greatly superior construction... and after 6 hits in my tiger, she'll still move in the grass at a crawl instead of pillboxing :P
Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
TeTris MoNk

The tracks on my Bulldog are exact with a few tracks to spare. I do like the metal tracks, I just wanted to know if anything else was needed for optimal performance. Dont wanna go busting any motors or electronics.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
DirtyBird69

I'd get a pair of 400 motors from phil at rctankwars..I think they are like $30...
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 AM
CaptainB

I've fitted a plastic link to the panzer iii and this is working. The tracks are areasonableI'll run it like this for a while and see what happens.
It seems then that you can't really just swap the plastic tracks for metal without further expense or work. An important point I think with this type of upgrade.

Cheers for the help

CaptB

Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

If your track system has a failure, I'd want it to be a broken plastic track rather than a sprocket or torn idler. Better suspension springs will keep your tracks on.

If you want more speed, then 400 motors will do the trick.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 AM
TeTris MoNk

Then I guess I need a set of 400's
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
DirtyBird69

I've got a factory set of metal gearboxes/w motors(never used)as well as a set of metal sprockets(never used)if you need them...just pm me