Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Advice needed on Spektrum radio battery / charger

I have a 2.4 Ghz Spektrum DX6 Parkflyer radio with the original nicad 8N - 600 9.6v battery. As you can imagine it is terrible because it drains so quickly. After looking through some of the older posts here I ordered a 2620mAh 3S 11.1v Low-Discharge Transmitter Lipoly pack for it. I have two questions:

1. Will the original charger for this radio, which says, "SPM7101 Ni-Cd Charger", be sufficient (or optimal) to charge the new pack? If not, which charger do you recommend? There is a warning on the original charger about trying to charge other types of batteries.

2. I also ordered a fixed 3.3V switching regulator to do the battery life extending mod for this radio. Is there any reason the mod wouldn't work with the better battery pack in the radio?

Pershing101

***edit***

I should had added that any new charger I may need would have to have the correct end connector for the Spektrum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Advice needed on Spektrum radio battery / charger

Welcome. I can answer the first question, DO NOT try charging a lipo battery using a Nicd charger, it will ruin the battery and even more important could cause the battery to catch fire. You will need a lipo charger for that, and those, well most of the lipo chargers will charge Nicad, Nimh, and lipo, also will usually charge LiFe batteries. Amain hobbies and hobby king have some decent chargers that are reasonably priced. Hobby Partz sells thunder AC6 charger which I have heard is pretty good. Hyperion makes excellent chargers but $$$$. Also when charging lipo batteries use a lipo sack, this is just as the name implies a sack you put the battery in when charging, which if in case the battery would catch fire it will contain the fire, and also use it to store the battery when not in use. As far as the second question that I cannot answer.

Cheers,
    Wade
    N.E.A.D Member
    All my tanks are in the project stage

We've been safely running 2690mha LIPO packs in our DX6s for a few years now and enjoy the extreme battery life they give.  We installed the 3.3v switching regulator (from Dimension) in ours, and with the beefy LIPOS, they run for days...not hours.  I top them up before each battleday...but in truth, they only hold 200-300 mha of a charge after an 8 hour battle.

As to charging, Wade is correct.  You'll need to take them out of the tx to charge them.  When charging, put them in a fireproof Lipo bag (available for under 5 bucks, just about anywhere) or a clay flowerpot outside and use a peak sensing LIPO charger.  Wade is correct again, when he indicates most Lipo chargers will charge other battery chemistries as well.  You'll want a charger that balances if possible (balancing makes sure each of the cells is the same voltage).  You can get separate balancers, but it's easiest to get the charger that does it all, as it really doesn't cost much more.  

As to the Spektrum charging plug on the battery, I bought an adapter from Ebay to go from a Tamiya type plug to the Spektrum plug.  Cost was nominal. 

If you need specific information on my equipment and the models and location of my sources, just PM me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today has been a day to learn all about batteries, chargers and connectors. Up to this point I have been content with the Tamiya connectors and my nicad or NiMh batteries (in the tanks) but now I am finally taking the leap of faith to Lithium-Polymer. I just ordered the Thunder AC6 and two Blue Lipo 2-Cell 4000mAh 7.4v 2S1P 30C batteries. Also, I just tracked down a 10 pack of 4mm banana connectors and red and black heat shrinking to change all the connectors in my tanks. I hope I don't muck up the soldering!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also forgot to add. I know with running my short course truck you should have a low voltage alarm that rings when you drop below a preset voltage (for lipo) with lipo you can't drain them like a Nicd or Nimh it will cause the cell to be damaged and ruin the battery. Here is some excellent reading material http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
    N.E.A.D Member
    All my tanks are in the project stage

FYI, here's a reprint of a past post of mine. We're using 2 cell Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) batteries. They have less power output than Lithium Polymer (LiPo), but are much safer (no fire danger like LiPos). These are 3.3v/cell (unlike Lithium Polymer (LiPo) which are 3.7v/cell). At 6.6 v. for a 2 cell pack, (about 7.2v fully charged), they work great and we've been using them in most of our tanks now for about a year.

A low voltage alarm is a good Idea, but we don't use them as Tamiya DMDs have a low voltage cutoff, which shuts the tank down before the batteries bottom out. Wade's right about letting a lithium battery go flat. If that happens, she's kaput. A low voltage alarm can save you some $$. We simply use a checklist when we put them away. We actually had it laminated and a copy inside each radio box. Has worked now 2 years with no losses.