Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

SLU Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Baron Fel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLU Help!

I've run into my first roadblock with installing my SLU. I have a Asiatam recoil unit and have no idea how to hook it up. I emailed Tim and he's not sure. Any help from my fellow tread heads?

Baron
Old 01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
wright 971

Default RE: SLU Help!

Hi You will have to do a rewire,first split off the elevation side just two wires to the motor ,this will have to conect to the elevation control on the SLU .next will have to be a bit of a guess the recoil is just like a tamiya from the wriing side,you will have to get the direction of rotaion correct.dont worry about the flash ,you can take it from the lights loom,one of them is a LED flash for main gun.so conect the two wire to the recoil (you may also have to conect the earth conection to the battery)try it with out this first.You may even have to conect both + and - to the battery.

Im not 100% sure about this so wait for more input some one may have wired one in and knows how to do it.
Standard heng long recoil units work fine ,but these are the only ones I have tried yet,I do have a Hooban unit for the next unit I fit.

regards pete
Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Pete has suggested you need to determine which wires run the elevation motor and which wires run the recoil motor. The recoil circuit consist of three wires. A negative and positive feed to the motor with the negative side routed through a micro switch . This is connected to a constant power source. Directly to the battery would be fine.

The third wire is a trigger wire, and is a user activated negative wire. On an RX 18 this would be the airsoft wire. You will have to find this source on the SLU. I have no experience with the SLU so I can't help you there, Because it is running a motor you need to be careful the circuit can handle the load of an electrical motor IF the SLU can trigger an airsoft gun, that that should become your trigger wire for the Recoil unit. I hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't give you more specific instructions.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 AM
torpedochief

Guys bad news. I have installed 4 SLU and the AsiaTam recoil just will not work. I've tried everything, and I mean everything. Unless I missed something. (Very Possible)

You have to use the HENG LONG recoil. I hope that someone can prove me wrong, and I hope I missed something. Those recoils are too good not be usable with the SLU.

Please if anyone finds the correct wiring post ASAP. I have two useless recoils now, unless we can figure this bugger out.

Don
Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 AM
YHR

Don

Does the SLU provide a negative pulse signal for anything? If it does then the recoil can be made to work . I am beginning to remember that I totally stripped off the asiatam wiring, and rewired the whole unit based on the principal above
Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Baron Fel

To me I think that I'm over thinking this. I"m going to wire this as it's telling me. but can someone tell me why there are two micro switches?

Baron
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: Baron Fel

To me I think that I'm over thinking this. I''m going to wire this as it's telling me. but can someone tell me why there are two micro switches?

Baron

Hello Baron,

I have not worked with the SLU but if the SLU can run all the funtions of a Heng long tank set up as an Airsoft tank, then it can run the Asiatam unit. Just set the Asiatam unit up like you would if you are running Heng long, then set the SLU up as if you are installing it in a Heng long Airsoft tank and it should work fine. Please see attached link on how to set up the Asiatam recoil unit, and if the SLU has deatails on how to connect itself to the Heng long 8 pin turret connector not sure why it would not work? The two micro switch's on the Asiatam unit are to trigger the start and stop of the recoil & flash trigger.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10033386

Phil
Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 PM
torpedochief

Hey Dan,

It is the micro switch that controls the start stop that is the issue. For some reason it just will not work with the SLU. I think the SLU provides the on on/off timer circuit. It does not provide a pulse. I say that becasue on the SLU there is a POT to adjust the recoil speed. Since the Asiatam uses the microswitch to start and stop I don't think it can work.

I sure wish there were a way around it.However I will tinker with the guts of a $50 recoil unit, but not so inclined to go digging into the SLU...LOL

DOn
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
YHR

Well if the SLU has the ability to do this, then Maybe you just need to lose the micro switch. Hook up a positive and a negative directly to the SLU. If there is a pot to control the recoil on the SLU then yes, that microswitch probably is not even needed.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
bubbajoexx

to hook up the slu you need to hook up the recoil motor seprate the micro switch has 2 wires going back to the slu miro switch input and 2 wires going to the elevation motor the micro switchconrtols the recoil motor on from inside the slu

you have a recoil out on the slu for the motor

a miro swith input on the slu to control on and of barrel position

and there is no exra triger wire for the recoil as it is internal to the slu
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Baron Fel

Thats my point Dan, Sad news is I got everything hooked up today but the SLU isn't working. I've checked it 7 times and have unplugged and replugged it 3 times and still wont work. So I can't check if the recoil will work or not. I've sent Tim a email so now I sit and wait. If this doesn't work I'm shelving my Tiger and starting my E-100.

Baron
PS Phil, got my recoil unit, Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Baron Fel

Bubba Joe, can you draw that out, I'm slow and Im not following you. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Dana Lowell

I called James in Raleigh yesterday evening wit your problem and he had no insight to offer. Although he did say to post photos here in hope that others can lend a hand. Good luck with it!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Baron Fel

Will do Dana!

Tony
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Baron,

Yes, post some pics. I will do j best to help you get it working.

Do yo have all other functions working ie track, turret traverse, etc?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM
bubbajoexx

ORIGINAL: Baron Fel

Bubba Joe, can you draw that out, I'm slow and Im not following you. Thanks!

go to the manual it shows where the micro switch plugs in the wiring for the switch is conect the micro switch nc contacs to the 2 wire plug and then plug it into socet C! on the SLU

next conect the recoil motor to the 2 wire plug and plug it into M! on the slu

next conect the elevation motor to the 2 wire plug and plug it into T$ on the esc and yoou will have a working unit

all the plug positions are marted on manual page 13

the manual has every thing you need
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vt56155.pdf (3.90 MB, 22 views)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 AM
bubbajoexx

ORIGINAL: Fireman Tim

Baron,

Yes, post some pics. I will do j best to help you get it working.

Do yo have all other functions working ie track, turret traverse, etc?

Tim not to be harsh but you need to do a instalation video on the recoil I my self dont have the time right now or I would do it and I dont have an aisa tam recoil unit as I only use tamiya recoils as far as I am concered if you folow the manual it is relativly easy but how many people know what to do with un familure parts and systems and how they work
Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM
bubbajoexx

if some one has a spare aisiatam recoil unit to send me I will do a complete video on how to hook it up to a SLU system showing the complete wiring and full testing after it is assembled and wired
I do not have a unit to do so and dont have the extra money to by one for this video and as I stated before I dont use them
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Fireman Tim

Bubba, I don't have an asiatam recoil unit else this would be easier for me to troubleshoot.

Here is the basic wiring diagram for the SLU to control recoil functions. I know it works with the stock HL recoil unit and a Tamiya recoil unit (as advertised on my website). The flash unit connection is designed for a Heng Long high tension flash. If you do not want to use a HL flash unit, you can connect an LED to L3 on the SLU.

The micro switch needs to be positioned at the recoil apex (for lack of a better word), the point where the barrel is fully recoiled. Vstank recoil units will not work properly with the SLU as the micro switch is positioned inside the unit at the point where the barrel is fully extended. Hence the recoil works backwards.

Any other micro switches are not used.

Does the barrel elevation work?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Baron Fel

Tim,
Nothing is working at this point, The mg and taillights flash, thats it. I will send you my spear recoil unit to help out, if you want it.
Tony
Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Baron Fel

Just did a wiring check and test again, No lights now, but I have a red one one the ESC bord and the terret motor runs and wont stop. What the Hell Man!!!!

Tony
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Fireman Tim

Tony,

Sorry for all the questions. Post a pic of your set up first. It maybe a simple fix.

If I understand you correctly, you have no turret or drive motor controls. Is this correct?

Can you get the engine sound to start?

Check:

-battery is fully charged
-the Y power cable is connected to both the SLU and the ESC.
-power switch is connected to both the SLU and the ESC.

If all else fails, send it back to me, I'll repair it and return it to you.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Baron Fel

" If I understand you correctly, you have no turret or drive motor controls. Is this correct?" Yes, nothing working.

"Can you get the engine sound to start?" No. nothing.

I'm up for sending this on my dime for you to look over and get working, If you can get the Asiatam recoil unit working and post how ro make it work this, in theory should increse sales. I feel that Im over looking something but I
cant see it.

Tony
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Fireman Tim

Tony,

Send the unit and recoil to me. I will get the unit working for you and return it to you asap.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:15 AM
YHR

Hi Tim

The asiatam unit has the micro switch positioned at the fully extended positon for the bbl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.