Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My 88 mm airsoft paintballer - Video Added

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My 88 mm airsoft paintballer - Video Added

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 88 mm airsoft paintballer - Video Added

Here's something special I have been working on for the Jagd. A plastic Pac 43.

I really wanted a bullet proof paintballl gun for this tank. The old spring type HL airsoft unit won't cut it. Here is what I came up with using some HL scraps and hardware store fittings. The big change here is that It doesn't use the highly stressed internal spring. I take that out and replace it with a valve that activates a puff of CO2 each time it is fired. I retained the shell for the loading function as it works quite good and fits into the HL form factor. It runs on about 3V now without the heavy spring and gently cycles new paintballs into the breach. The barrel is a stock HL. It is terribly loose in the bore and that is what I wanted. Seams and out of round paintballs pass right through it. Since I now have a big puff of air there is no need for tight fitting barrels. Tight barrels and that cracking spring impact is what breaks paintballs in the gun. I have neither now.

I can adjust the regulator such that it fires anywhere between 0 and 450 fps. About 35 psi of pressure shoots at 300 fps which is great for these little paintballs. Its a really manageable pressure, about half that of a bicycle tire. The key is providing a much bigger quantity of air than the original spring and plunger can provide. I get about 40 shots out of a cartridge.

I am really liking this thing. It is HARD to hit targets but when you do it is quite an accomplishment. A whole new aspect of the hobby for me. Windage, armor slopes, kill spots, that kind of thing. Had some pretty good deflection shots off sloped armor. Not only do you have to hit the tank, you have to hit it in a spot that will 'penetrate'.

Safety glasses always. Common sense always. Good fun for a responsible adult. Not for use in public.

Perry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21852.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1717740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69187.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1717741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29611.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1717742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72329.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1717743  
Old 01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
DirtyBird69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My 88 mm airsoft paintballer - Video Added

now thats slick..we run paintballs up here to and have a blast...but there is a lot of upkeep trying to keep the HL units  in working order(haven't had any major porblems yet, but we don't fight that often either)...we find it much more challenging then IR and we don't have those stupid emitters sticking out the top of our tanks lol....
Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Saxondog

Seems Great to me Perry, Believe it not you see to of solved the reloading problem,and the barrel jam issue. So far I have a recoiling self loading mechenism but the cost is very high,you system seems to create the reloading Paintball gun system everyone could use.

Me and Albert have worked on this for a year,the cost of just the barrel,breach,and recoil alone make our system not very practical. I think you have done it,and very well I might add. Recoil is an effect that really in our scale is not a must,it's nice to have but this seems to get the average guy into paintball warfare at a reasonable cost.

Are you using 16 gram CO2? Another issue for us has been the target or 50 rounds per cartridge,and we achieved that but at a much lower psi/fps rate of fire.

Well done Perry,excellent design,the valve assembly is the key,but what stop blow by through the breach and into the feed tray? Or am I missing something here?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that is very cool.  Have you fired it from inside the turret yet?  Or, just bench-mounted?  Still activated by the HL electronics (looks like it would be a quick upward movement of the control stick rather than having to hold it like you do with the springed gun)?

I've got tighter barrels and use the marking or bio-degradable BBs.  But, they don't mark as well as those paintballs and you can't account for deflection with them either.

For the million-dollar questions: 

1)  would you be interested in making and selling these?  (no issues with signing a release or waiver)
2)  will you try to make this for all of the turrets?  (some like the Sherman or PzIII/PzIV might be a little tight)

Nice work! 

Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Saxondog

Perry, Ok man enough pictures lets see this thing firing. I would love to take the parts from clippard and make a dozen of these, but I HAVE TO ADMIT, we have tried and created a system so expenxive it is not practical, yet a recoiling,autoloading paintball system that fires 50 rounds was our target.

Your accumulation tank is pretty big,so does that not limit your number of rounds? Don't get me wrong Perry I am impressed and not throwing stones,just want to know what you have achieved and if possibly your ideas could improve our gun.

No dought as you know it was your shared design that got me working on this,and dug a serious hole in my wallet. But the design you have here seems very practical for the avaerage Tanker to apply.

Come on man,now you have got to shoot some video and show this off. The blow by issue is something if you don't want to print at least PM me and tell me,you know I will not tell the world,I amy use it,but I won't rat you out.

Impressive for mopar man
Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Perry S.

Hey Blake,
I use the 12g cartridges. They're dirt cheap at Walmart. I use just about any type of paintball ammo. It's set up for UV glow in the dark bb's as well.
No puff of air into the magazine because it uses the stock HL cycler, with the little hollow rammer that pushes the bb into the o-ring. It's all old HL parts which is cool because they are dirt cheap/junk. No special breech or barrel and o-ring. The stock motor and gears cycle it as the usual HL gun works. There is no spring and plunger though. The valve is there instead.

Recoil would be really cool. Maybe next time.

Perry

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 PM
whiteknight1066

This is great! Can we get more technical information? Maybe a diagram or a build thread? A parts list would be handy too. Idon't know a lot about paintball, but I've always wanted to get these tanks to shoot marking rounds. Thanks for sharing!

Andrew
Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Panther G

Very nice set up.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Panther G

AS I looked this over again i thought that what a great idea it would be for fixed gun emplacements.I have a couple of PaK40's. One on wheels one in a half track. these could be much more than just battle field props then. you certainly could defend a good bit of territory with it.
 Now obviously i wouldn't want to run my best Tamiya tanks up against them but i do have Tanks that would certainly make great cannon fodder for them.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great work!!
I always wondered why no one incorparated the CO2 sytem directly into a stock unit well i guess it can be done.... no need for brutle power hight FPS when using paint balls even a stock marui airsoft unit will work great with the cheaper easy to break paintballs.

O Perry with those cheaper paint balls here is a great idea and i do it with mine ... use a paper plate pour some paint balls in it and just move the plate around a little to roll them and you can quickly pick out the bad oval paint balls really fast and toss em in the trash and this way you won't have any breaking in your gun.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Saxondog

Well done Perry,well done! I understand completely how this works,and I to found walmarts CO2 cartidges to be very resonable. But my local store pulled the paintballs? THEY HAVE A WIDE BIO BB selction in place of the Paintballs,still have the CO2 though.

Recoil is achiveable like the Creeping Death system used since your using the H/L assembly. He used a servo,and just slide the plastic barrel in and out over the metal airsoft barrel. But you have done it.

Looks like the same valve from Clippard? Just great but still curious about the number of rounds.

Regards,Blake
Old 01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Perry S.

Some responses;

Philipat -
no desire to make and sell these. not really a retailer. i would rather just share the whole design and let people build them if they want. i have fired this installed in my Jagd. Great fun. I have similar setups in other tanks including a PIV.. I think you can fit the system into pretty much any tank with a little jockeying. i use the HL electronics although I add a DBC for the momentum and disabling the SS. On this particular tank 'left stick up' loads it and rt or left fires it. A little blip is all it takes. Wanted to control them seperately. On other tanks just up left stick loads and fires.

Panther G
- Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't shoot my Tamy's with it either. I have some old hulls from tanking past litering my firing range. Burnt out HL's that I have scavanged for other parts. Have an old snow leapord that I even painted white so I can see hits from a distance.

Whitenight -
I don't want to type it all out again but if you do a search on 'ultimate airsoft' on this board you wil find an enormous thread that goes through the whole development. Lot's of good reading but I will warn you that out of all the people that I have spoken to about this (maybe 20) none have ever built one. Except maybe Sax. Here are some more pic's for you though.

Shenlonco -
With this loose barrel I don't really have a problem with jams. Send me your sorted out defects. This thing will shoot them like a blunderbuss. Seriously, though, I'll sort them out and try em in my VS guns.

Sax -
Sorry no vid but I will get some taken before too long. The accumulator is big but I don't pressurize it very much. I just ran a cartridge through and counted 43 shots. All between 295 -311 fps. The valve is the Clippard MJV-2. You have those. I just got some paintballs of Amazon for $5/bottle. Red and blue.

Here's some more pic's that show how I made the fitting for the valve that fits into the cycler and what it looks like on the inside. I think it will clear things up.

Perry

Name:	Ay73606.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1718511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89289.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1718512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72589.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1718513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33353.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1718514  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 PM
whiteknight1066

Thanks! I'm excited-so going to try this...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has me interested in airsoft again. I have a couple of tanks left that have not been converted to IR. This is an appealing mod to try.

Thanks Perry
Old 01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Panther G

Yes me too. I still have my KV-85 to complete and i think it would be a perfect candidate for this. OH NO the voices are back.
ORIGINAL: YHR

This has me interested in airsoft again. I have a couple of tanks left that have not been converted to IR. This is an appealing mod to try.

Thanks Perry
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Perry S.

Listen to the voices

The most expensive part of this is the regulator to get the CO2 pressures down to safe levels and the CO2 cartridge holder. The Palmer Pursuit model I show above was ~$80. The silver CO2 holder was $20 on ebay. Had to modify them to fit together.

I just picked up this integrated unit on ebay for $47. The regulator has a built in knob for adjusting the pressure. I'll post more when it shows up.

Perry

Name:	Yw67969.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1719867  
Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Perry S.

And a bit of an older design but here is the fightin PIV.

Someone above asked about fitting it into smaller tanks. Easier to hit targets because the turret rotation is much finer than just turning the whole Jagd.

Perry

Name:	Pn36575.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1719885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90463.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1719886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51856.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1719887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44211.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1719888  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Saxondog

Well done Perry,Thanks for the information, did you post a less expensive caartidge holder/regulator than the Palmers?As you know they make a fine product but their proud of their products as well,the price tag.

So you have mounted the valve internally,using the shuttle to load and then focusing the the CO2 Burst throught he same chamber/gun housing and H/L Barrel assembly?

Well that is smart, and certainly less expensive than the approach we took,if I had the mill and materail full time it would still be at best 350.00 for a system,this approach is much more practical.

I still believe their is a place in the hobby for some version of paintball warfare, and just a simple clean up idea,I sprayed down the TARGET tank with armorall, Paint wipes right off with a paper towel sprayed with the same armorall.

Excellent work,really like to see this progress into a battlefield practice,and a little more exciting battle it will be I think. As for Tamiya Tanks being used,well call me names but I used a Henschel King Tiger as the test bed for my system,biggest turret space ,large hull space,but using RX18 CONTROL system,

Perhaps if more interest is shown we can at least develope this in the US,Really think about it, much more exciting. All the best Perry,thanks for letting me know about this.Sax
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Pershing.Driver

Very cool.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Perry S.

Here's a little more.

I finished up some internal mods and mounted everything in the JP. The new enhancements have it shooting at 300 fps reliably and I am getting over 60 shots per cartridge. I am having problems with the JP hopper. It doesn't have a steep ramp and the bb's don't feed properly sometimes. I need to get in there and add some plastic radii and what have you. Any more than five paintballs in there and they just sit in a low spot. Should be an easy fix.

Made a video to show what it's like.

I'm no Spielberg, just a quicky to put it out there. Purposely missed at first to show you some sighting in. You can hear me loading each bb individually and the sequence of cycling and firing. Aiming has been pretty easy although at 50 -75 ft it get's much more challenging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfcGGm3f38

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfcGGm3f38[/youtube]

Perry

Name:	Mk27663.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1722162  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an awesome mod! It seems very simple, yet awesome results! I might consider doing this to my 34/85, do you know where I could buy just the HL airsoft units?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Panther G

RCTank wars should be able to help you out. Phil would be happy to sell you what ever you need.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Perry S.

Agree, Phil would be a good source for them as would any of the suppliers as so many people seem to sell them. You may want to look into using the VS gun (I get mine from Toyeast) as this will give you better quality quality and an internal microswitch that can be used to trigger firing or other effects such as sound or recoil.

I think it is important to use a 'loose' HL barrel though as tight bore barrels tend to break the paintballs

Perry

Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Saxondog

Well done Perry, excellent video as it does demonstrat how Paintball tank wars require a level of skill not found in I/R and it seems to be much more fun!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dang Perry shooting paintballs in the house what are you crazy!![X(]
here is my stock VS tank shooting the paintballs i can probably break em at 30ft and that's way to far for tank battle you would need to get much closer to make a good shot at another tank.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdqF7bTbBrU[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.