Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Turnigy 9 channel Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turnigy 9 channel Transmitter

IK chaps has anyone tried this transmitter, what are your experiences is connecting to the receiver a problems more to the point does the thing work and is it as good as Futaba
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 AM
rampa203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turnigy 9 channel Transmitter

I use it all the time, I think its great. No Problems for me.

Russ
Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 AM
takevin

Ditto, heard from several members who use it and like it. I'm going to buy one for my next tank.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM
rampa203

The only problem is that they are often out of stock. It looks to me like HobbyKing raised the price some. Used to b e $39 for TX and RX. I bought 4 receivers - they are only $8.99 each.

Russ
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I wanted to add, I have never bought anything from Hobby King. But I will say being on other forums for different forms of RC (SC Trucks, etc) a lot of people have bought from them (US Warehouse) and have gotten really good deals. I know Dan has purchased receivers and such. Their prices are ridiculously low on some things. Now maybe they aren't top quality, but they work and work well. In my situation where I don't have the time or money for organized battles, and I need multiple radios, yes I know Futaba, and Spektrum are top's but when buying more then one, cheap has a quality of its own. Heck their 6ch 2.4 is around $23.00 if and when I go the tamiya route then maybe I would make the jump to more expensive radio's. Anyway these seem like really good deals.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For me cheap is not always best reason, this will be to run another 1/6 tank these things weigh in excess of 120lds and if they run into a crowd can cause some damage so for the RX and TX these have to be good no glitches and no mishap’s hence my question it’s not really about saving a few € reliability is paramount
Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Understood. If I were you I would maybe look for something a little bit more reliable, as I stated that was just my opinion on these, for me cheap is where its at right now lol. And as you stated they are for the 1/6 scale, so I agree the need for something dependable. You might want to pick one up and try it first without anyone around and see how well it works. The price is so appealing.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw that it listed a module in the list of included items. That sounds to me like a regular radio with a 2.4 module like the type used on older radios to make them 2.4. Is this correct?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hobby King donated one of these to a chairity I worked with last year. I've been in RC since 1968 and that transmitter needed everything I knew to get it to work. It does not come with instructions! For the first 30 minutes all I got on the screen was "switch error" Unless all nine channel swithes were in the right position before you turn it on it would not turn on! So we had to cycle each switch and try until we finally got it right.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
maintcoder

I use the Turnigy with my tank and they work just fine.  The lack of a manual is a bit lame, but you can download it from the HobbyKing site (look under 'files' on the product page).  Once you have the manual, you can get it set up pretty quickly.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The deal breaker for me was no failsafe on the rx.   
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one has answered my question as to is this a true 2.4 or does it need the provided module to make it 2.4. If so i would prefer a true 2.4 system. With some very expensive models Cheap radios are not an option for me and many other people. Value is great but that needs to coincide with reliability.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ordering from Hobbyking if you stay on the selected item for a couple minutes they occasionally drop the price a couple cents.
Don't know if they do this to all items but when I bought an ESC from them after 2 minutes reading about said ESC a window
popped up with a lower price if you buy now.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
rampa203

I think the Turnigy 9X ia a true 2.4 GHz radio system. One reason is that, in the manual. the developer talks a bit about designing a 2.4 GHz radio to sell for so little money. I don't think there was an older model to convert to 2.4 GHz. Also, on the module that plugs in to the back it says "Native 2.4 GHz." See image below. I think other radios, like Spectrum for example, have these kind of plug-in modules also and it isn't strictly an indicator that the radio was upgraded to 2.4 GHz.

I think its a great radio and I would certainly use it for any tank no matter how expensive. I would be more concerned about flying vehicles where if something happened with the radio you might crash into a house or a person

ORIGINAL: Panther G

No one has answered my question as to is this a true 2.4 or does it need the provided module to make it 2.4. If so i would prefer a true 2.4 system. With some very expensive models Cheap radios are not an option for me and many other people. Value is great but that needs to coincide with reliability.

@Jeff489 - There are fail-safe setting in the radio setup for each channel. I don't know if you mean something else.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10751.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	515.4 KB
ID:	1733141  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Jeff489

The Turnigy 9x is nothing new, and has been around for a few years, but under a different name.  It is an old "FlySky" system rebranded as "Turnigy" by Hobbyking. 

I never said the transmitter didn't have failsafe, I said the rx did not (and there is no failsafe unless both rx and tx do...)

Here's my source on this.  Read page 3, "receivers", about 3/4 down on the page where it states...

"Unfortunately, the receiver has no failsafe so, regardless of whether it has good range and even if the loss of the satellite doesn't compromise its ability to cope with shadowing and multi-pathing, this is a system for *small* models only...."

Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 AM
rampa203

I read your reference - thanks. It does clear some things up for me, but I am still confused about the RX failsafe issue, because the Turnigy user manual states on this:

"The submenu "FAILSAFE" The failsafe function to define what behavior the receiver should
adopt towards the servos when there is a breakdown of the emission beam."

To me that sounds like a receiver failsafe, unless by receiver failsafe you mean something that happens if the receiver completely stops working - unrelated to the signal strength - which I would think would require a redundant power supply and some kind of redundant circuitry inside the receiver. Maybe I don't understant what receiver failsafe really means.

Anyway thanks for the reference,

Russ

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

The Turnigy 9x is nothing new, and has been around for a few years, but under a different name. It is an old "FlySky" system rebranded as "Turnigy" by Hobbyking.

I never said the transmitter didn't have failsafe, I said the rx did not (and there is no failsafe unless both rx and tx do...)

Here's my source on this. Read page 3, "receivers", about 3/4 down on the page where it states...

"Unfortunately, the receiver has no failsafe so, regardless of whether it has good range and even if the loss of the satellite doesn't compromise its ability to cope with shadowing and multi-pathing, this is a system for *small* models only...."

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Jeff489

Russ,

You are correct on your understanding of "failsafe". It's what the rx does when the rx loses the signal (a.k.a. "emission beam") from the tx. Loss of rx power isn't an issue, as all of these tanks have a BEC (battery elimination circuit) that uses the main power supply to power the rx (versus a rx 4.8v power pack). So, if the rx loses power, so did the tank.

You might email HobbyKing to investigate the issue further, and share their answer with us. It is possible that they have upgraded or changed the rx in their 9x package since the review was done (reveiw date was 22 June, 2010), and the review was done a considerable time ago. You never know.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
rampa203

I might do that - email HobbyKing, and I could try it myself as well. I think that reference you gave me was for version 2, and that's what I have. But maybe it did change since the review.

Thanks again,

Russ

ORIGINAL: Jeff489

Russ,

You are correct on your understanding of "failsafe". It's what the rx does when the rx loses the signal (a.k.a. "emission beam") from the tx. Loss of rx power isn't an issue, as all of these tanks have a BEC (battery elimination circuit) that uses the main power supply to power the rx (versus a rx 4.8v power pack). So, if the rx loses power, so did the tank.

You might email HobbyKing to investigate the issue further, and share their answer with us. It is possible that they have upgraded or changed the rx in their 9x package since the review was done (reveiw date was 22 June, 2010), and the review was done a considerable time ago. You never know.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Jeff489

Sorry about the reference to HobbyKing's website.  I probably just cost you money...

Myself, I try to stay away, as it invariably costs me money each visit as well.   Still, they are hard to beat on some stuff.  I generally get all my batteries from them.