Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

WWII Jeep RC Conversion? - of interest to tankers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

WWII Jeep RC Conversion? - of interest to tankers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM
flamme

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: WWII Jeep RC Conversion? - of interest to tankers

Thank you for your help
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 AM
AFV432

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/53570-Clam...item27c1cef109
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM
rampa203

Just about ready to do some real work on this project.

First of all, it turns out that I'm not getting the 1938 Mercedes after all. Six days after payment it hadn't shipped, so I emailed the guy and got a notice of a PayPal refund as a response stating that it was out of stock. I guess he wasn't planning to tell me unless I said something.

In the mean time, I didbuy a 1/16 Highway 61 1940 Ford stake truck just like AFV432's mate. Again from ebay and don't have it yet, but it is actually in the mail this time. The great thing about this truck is that the identical German Ford version was used by Germany in WWII, and was second only to the Opel Blitz in terms of numbers. So I think you could safely paint it as a German or American vehicle.

I also bought a very cheap toy rock crawler for $27 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Maisto-581162-...4935425&sr=1-8. Might be able to use some parts for something else. The radio is total crap, not proportional with only a 20 ft range, so you would need your own steering servo, speed controller and radio system. If you didn't have all this stuff already it probably wouldn't be worth it. The Losi cars have perfectly good equiptment already, but then they are $150 and not $27.

Since I've had the Losi's I've had a chance to get used to "ground-style" transmitters (wheel and trigger type.) At first I didn't think I'd like them, but now I prefer them for simple throttle and steering control. I think its more precise steering with a seperate hand rather than controlling everything with one finger. Unfortunately they don't have enough channels for tanks, but for cars/trucks they are fine.The Losi are just two channel TX/RX. I bought a three channel "car-style" 2.4 GHz RX/TX from Hobby King for about $30 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html. I think I will use the third channel for lights (its just a switch on the controller.) The most important thing is that it is highly programable, so you can adjust your servo endpoints and many other things, just like on an airplane-type transmitter.

Russ

ORIGINAL: AFV432

heres what one of our lads is doing to 1/16th highway 61 chevy truck http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctank...hp?f=94&t=3449
im looking at using his method of drive on a couple of indiana jones german style trucks
Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 PM
rampa203

Well the Maisto rock crawler was too cheap to be of any use, there really wasn't a viable suspension. The motor-gearbox-axle units were too bulky to use in any kind of realistic-looking RC conversion. Oh well, only $27 lost on that idea.

I got the Highway 61 1/16 scale 1940 Ford Truck. It is a really beauty inside and out - almost too nice to start cutting up for an RC conversion. But the thing is, I really don't care that much for static models. On the other hand I have plenty of RC models that have been static from disuse, but that is another story.

Russ
Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM
downwind leg

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys. Would anybody here be willing to sell me or build for me a 1/6 scale G.I.Joe Jeep converted to RC? I have two of the Jeep models to work from but no time to do it. Please let me know.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:15 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I think your problem is that most of the skilled Builders are going to be in the same situation as you are, they just don't have the time. What if you could find someone to RC it and get it running for you and leave all the paint and markings and detail to you? Would you be interested in something like that? As I said before, I'm not really enthusiastic about doing this but you seem like a nice guy and I'd really like to see you get your Jeep. If all else fails, and let me repeat that, if all else fails, I might be able to convert it to RC but you would have to finish the paint and detail work. Since meeting you here, I've been looking into this project and found the Crawler King donor truck for axles and running gear but it's kind of expensive. I'm not positive but I think it was about $350. If you haven't found anybody by this weekend I'll p.m. you my phone number and we can get together on the phone and figure some way to get you a Jeep.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:54 AM
downwind leg

O.K. Crius, thanks so much for getting back to me on this. So to be clear, are we talking about the original idea of converting the G.I. Joe Jeep using the king crawler rubicon model like what rzingsheim did ? That would be awesome if nothing else comes along. I've been putting out feelers as well but nothing yet. And yes, I could do whatever painting and finishing might be required. Thanks again, Brad
Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 AM
Crius

Yes, I'm talking about converting one of your GI Joe Jeeps instead of buying the Dragon kit. If things work well and you're willing I might buy your spare and do a Jeep for myself at the same time. But I'm still hoping that we'll find a talented Builder to take on this project so I can weasel out of it.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 AM
downwind leg

Thumbs up

O.K. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but this is sounding better all the time. If this turns out to be the case, the spare jeep would be yours.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I just did a project (3d printed CCKW trucks) with Gary (Crius), and it worked out well. I'm looking forward to working with him on future projects.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Crius

Paco, I really think you should take on this project for Brad. He has two GI Joe jeeps and I'm sure you guys can work things out as to who pays for what in who's Jeep but you did such a good job for me that I can highly recommend you to Brad.

Brad, I was hoping that Paco would check in on this thread and I really hope you two can get together and get this project done. You can see in the truck thread what a fantastic job Paco (Greg) did on the cckw and I'm sure he could put together a couple of Jeeps that would make you both very happy.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Pah co chu puk

I have a lot on my plate, so he has to be ok with me taking months to build it...
Old 07-13-2019, 08:52 PM
downwind leg

Hey Paco/Greg, I'm fine with you taking months to build you and I a Jeep. As Gary said, I have two of the G.I. Joe Willys Jeeps and if you agree to build one of them for me, I would gladly donate the second one for your trouble and what ever else we can agree to. I ,of coarse, would provide or pay for any parts like the King Crawler Rubicon as mentioned earlier for mine. I think the pictures provided by rzingsheim at the beginning of his thread are a good example of what could be done. Let me know what you think. Thanks,Brad
Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Clark was designing a 1/16 RC jeep.

If you show him more interest, he might rush it.

I want one for sure.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
Clark was designing a 1/16 RC jeep.

If you show him more interest, he might rush it.

I want one for sure.
He wants a 1/6 jeep, Rad, to tow a 1/6 scale RC aircraft, but I would be very interested if clark did one in 16th. I'm also still waiting to see if trumpeter (or was it torro?) comes out with the 1/16 RC schwimmwagen!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The Schwimmwagen is from Metal Origins, Torro is just reselling it - I suspect that it will be rather expensive and not very usable...
Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 AM
Pah co chu puk

Originally Posted by downwind leg
Hey Paco/Greg, I'm fine with you taking months to build you and I a Jeep. As Gary said, I have two of the G.I. Joe Willys Jeeps and if you agree to build one of them for me, I would gladly donate the second one for your trouble and what ever else we can agree to. I ,of coarse, would provide or pay for any parts like the King Crawler Rubicon as mentioned earlier for mine. I think the pictures provided by rzingsheim at the beginning of his thread are a good example of what could be done. Let me know what you think. Thanks,Brad
PM me and we can talk about it.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
He wants a 1/6 jeep, Rad, to tow a 1/6 scale RC aircraft, but I would be very interested if clark did one in 16th. I'm also still waiting to see if trumpeter (or was it torro?) comes out with the 1/16 RC schwimmwagen!

Uops 1/6, I thought it was 1/16.

Yep, I told Clark we need more soft skinned vehicles and we are well served with tanks, so after considering it a bit he added it to the things to do list. But I think he wants to release 3 or 4 tanks first.
Lets keep fingers crossed and hope we see it soon!

And regarding the schwimmwagen, Torro is the distributor, but it is not from metal origins, but another brand. If it was from metal origins, we would have seen it in their facebook page. Last time I talked with the torro guy, he said it was going to be ready in august... But we all know this things keep delaying and delaying.