Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New Panther A video

I corrected the deteriorated steering I experienced while creating the last video. I found that the steering servo was failing
    as well as the mounting. Replaced it with a Savox 1256 TG servo in an aluminum mount I made. I began the video with the model
    at rest. After starting the engine I shifted through 1st and 2nd gear and reverse. I apologize for the snap turns as I was only using one
    hand on the transmitter.

Jerry

1/10 Panther video
    - http://tanks.linite.com/

~ Then give three cheers, and one cheer more,
    For the hardy Captain of the Pinafore! ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Panther A video

tanque I have a newbie question for you is that tank gas powered? Is there a build thread? tap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very cool! I'm also interested in a build thread if you have one. In particular, I'd like to know where you got the transmission.

Thanks,

Russ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since posting that video I've gotten hit with a nasty bug so I'm laying low. In the meantime visit please visit my
    website. The tank is gas ( glow) and I built it some 24 years ago.

jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tapkoote

tanque I have a newbie question for you is that tank gas powered? Is there a build thread? tap
    After getting past the worst of the illness I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Came to realize much of the information you seek could also be found in these previous threads:

thread 1

thread 2

Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Too bad you couldn't run that exhaust through some type of resonater to deepen the output. Love the exhaust output, and there is something very appealing about a gas powered tank.

Thanks for posting

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: YHR

Too bad you couldn't run that exhaust through some type of resonater to deepen the output. Love the exhaust output, and there is something very appealing about a gas powered tank.

Thanks for posting

...or use a 4-cycle glow engine. Anyway, it's still awesome. You got some serious skills there Jerry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a great tank but that Glo engine makes my skin crawl. Put a muffler on it. Oh my good! I'm turning into my Father. HELP.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you Jerry
    I'm going to study that material, may have a question later.
    The tank I'm looking to get is two stroke, water cooled, the electric start would be nice.
    Pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jerry that is a work of art and a wonder to look at!! Great job!!

Don
    D Clayton Meadows
    Author of OF ICE AND STEEL, EPITAPH, TIGER!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: torpedochief

Jerry that is a work of art and a wonder to look at!! Great job!!

Don

Thanks Don and good to see you out in the forum!

Not very much room for a large resonator although this model is running a form of tuned pipe just before the exhaust stacks. On my website
    you'll find a page where I did explore some exhaust designs because I do like to attenuate the sound, I can't abide the shrill high end
    of a lean 2 cycle myself these days. Believe me this engine is moderate by comparison. I don't know if I'll take the time on this one to take it apart and replace the first stage of the exhaust system but I have a modified form of it using bronze wool packing that is somewhat effective.
    That in tandem with the second stage of this one may attenuate the sound even better and still give decent performance.

...or use a 4-cycle glow engine.
    Love to, and I do actually on two of my other models. Problem is backfires if not set up just right. On just about any other type of model
    a backfire is just an inconvenience but when you've got drive line and starter components attached to it backfires are way more than just annoying. Look at my first thread I referenced above for the account of running an OS 48 using CD ignition and gasoline. Backfires where a real problem until
    I implemented TCSA. Then what killed it on gas is I could not keep it cool. Now water cooling would likely fix that but not many current production 4 cycle engines that will fit in a 1/10 scale model will lend themselves to a good
    water cooled configuration. The radiator, fan and water pump are not the issue it's the shape of the cylinder; water cooling just the head isn't
    nearly enough for safely. At one and the same time not wanting to either do major surgery to a $100 cylinder without a real plan or wanting to machine my own heads and cylinders I stick with the proven formula of what you see in the latest Panther video. I'll probably use 4 cycles in some models
    but if they have the transmission /starter/ engine configuration as this one it will likely be powered by a Webra.

You have to remember I don't just have one of these gas powered tanks, I have 'a number' and I wanted a reproducible and consistent
    engine package that I could rely on. The old Webra 6,5 ( 40 ) blackhead is it. Tough, powerful and durable. This engine is 31 years old.
    I originally sold this model new when I had my business and was able to buy it back little used 5 years later and completely took it to pieces before rebuilding and repainting it. This one IS due for some serious detail upgrades but I'll defer it to when all my other projects are further along. I still have my original I bought in 1976-77 and it also runs well but the engine could use a new ring; it saw a LOT of running over the first 6 years I had it.

If you look over my website you'll see the other tank of mine with a 4 cycle, an OS .20 4 cycle - my little Hetzer. It runs well but isn't so quiet either.

There are some other modelers out there in the gas tank arena and some are running 4 cycles. They do sound a little different but hey they are
    never going to sound like a Maybach. These are small engines producing their power at speeds many times that of a full size tank engine; it will
    never happen. I now warn visitors to my website's video page that my models aren't going to sound like full size. To most they're going to sound
    obnoxious but I don't pretend that they're anything but what they are. I don't want to offend people with the sound; I know there are those out there who
    revel in being obnoxious, I'm not one of them. I like to attenuate the sound as I say but there's just limits to what you can do
    and to a degree I've grown to appreciate the sound of one of my healthy engines running well. Rather like a proud dad watching junior ride
    his bicycle..with playing cards clipped to the forks.

These things aren't always easy to set up taking patience ( I've cursed plenty ) and maintenance.

When I run out of patience I turn to my Tamiyas and others...

Jerry