Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First Tank Heng Long KV-1 IR metal!

Hello there! I've always wanted a rc tank ( I'm into scale trucks right now) but I look around and there is sooo much choices! I dont really know what to get, I might be looking for a KV-1 and I would love a T-34 but those seems hard to find, I really prefer world war 2 to modern tanks. I looked at tamiya, they are really nice but quite expensive! I would go with 1/16, I looked at 1/24 and i'm not too sure about which ones are good...VStanks or FOV, and they dont seems really upgradable. I also looked at upgraded kits (metal parts, IR, smoke, ETC) and I dont really know what is worth it, should I get it track upgraded but no IR or IR or plastic tracks...seems like a new world is opening to me! and should I wait for other new models coming out soon?

thanks for your advices!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: First Tank Heng Long KV-1 IR metal!

1/16 is batter than 1/24. you can find you want  in Matomart
    http://matomart.com/homepage.php

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome aboard there Patski!

BTW, you do know that Tamiya tanks are kits? That's why the expense, plus the value as well. Most new tankers getting into the hobby don't know that. The HL and FOV are RTR's and deny you the privilege of building it how YOU want it to turn out and that Tamiya tanks offer better quality and don't rely on upgrades to make them perform better. But, there are a few kits that need a little help but generally they need no upgrades to make them worth it.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

KV-1s are readily available from Heng Long. Being in Ontario, go with Matomart. In the States (if anyone else reads this) I found a place in CA selling them for around a $100 shipped. It's called Radio Controlled Toys Online.

Heng Long will get your feet wet and give you an idea of what you want to do. Many upgrades, etc, you'll just need some skill with modeling and a soldering gun and a sense of humor. IR if you want to battle with a club, but you'll need to drop between $30 and $100 on top of the price to upgrade it to fire and receive from a Tamiya system.

Tamiya is a long term investment. I have two that must be 10 years old and still are going strong. Quality far outweighs HL, but you pay for it. I bought them and really didn't use them much until I recently picked up the battle systems for them after getting tired of waiting for the winds to subside (we just picked up flying RC this past summer). Now it's my main hobby focus, my sons and I have a battle a few times a week and it doesn't get tired.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for all the fast answers! I know that Tamiya are usually kits spent a part of the winter building my Super Clodbuster. I dont wanna sound negative yet but I wanna buy something upgradable and not too much expensive, so if I dont like it (you never know until you try it) I didnt spent too much on it, so, for now, i'm kinda alone that want a tank, so, if I guess right, the IR system that you get with theRTR version is probably crap, and I would have to upgrade to tamiya, or other battle system brand that are reliable, so getting the one with no IRwould be a good choice because cheaper. metal upgrades? I dont know...I know that mato usually ship with the metal engines, as they call it, and you can get the tracks and the gears metal too..( I cant really imagine metal tracks without metal gears, that would be the death of it) and Heng Long are "reliable"? I was thinking about the Sherman too, metal tracks are available but they dont ship them with the tank as a kit yet....and for the T-34, Trumpeteer are still making them? and they got alot of mods to do to get at least enjoyable?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to realy get a good gear box in an h/l you need to get  the up grade brass or steel ones allso if you going to just battle with you buds in the yard h/l i/r system work fine and far less exp. ask phil r/c tank wars he can hookyou up beware of elcheepo onliners you get crappie left over tank that dont work. and they dont stand behind them  i learnd the hard way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Welcome aboard there Patski!

BTW, you do know that Tamiya tanks are kits? That's why the expense, plus the value as well. Most new tankers getting into the hobby don't know that. The HL and FOV are RTR's and deny you the privilege of building it how YOU want it to turn out and that Tamiya tanks offer better quality and don't rely on upgrades to make them perform better. But, there are a few kits that need a little help but generally they need no upgrades to make them worth it.

am totaly agree with jeff, take into considering all the upgrades the others maybe needed as you know a tamiya tiger I is around 450 euro's it is not that expensive
    you could say the proportional transmitter costs , thats half treu you can, use it for all your models ... choose a 2,4 Ghz one it chooses its own channel everytime, no kristals needed anymore
    the benefit of proportional receivers and trasmitters you can ride a few hundred meters away with your tank ... with HL en Mato and etc it at the most 25m sometimes even less ...

wathever you choose think about it and compare it , with all its upgrades and make the choice you feel good about it

most tamiyas don't need upgrades, most of them even no tracks ... the metal plastic ones from the brand itself are up to their task ...

welcome to the pack i would say

~ Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've finally chose the HL KV-1, not ordered yet, i'm still wondering about the regular IR version or the Metal upgraded IR version....is it worth it to get the metal upgrades?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are ordering it from Matomart, by all means get the upgrade. I just got a PZ IV (with metal) from them for the same price I paid for my StuG without upgrades.

It's a completely different animal, doesn't feel cheap and I've already broke a plastic track link on the StuG. I'll need to drop another $110 just to get it where the PZ IV was out of the box.

From now on it's Matomart and metal for me, even with the high shipping costs to the States.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are involved with rc trucks then you know of Tamiya and the price is not high. Some of these truck kits are 2 and 3 times as much as a Tamiya rctank kit.
    So if you just want To get a tank then go for a less exspensive brand. But realize that the quality will not be that of a Tamiya.
    It kills me that the first word out of everyones mouth is Tamiya is so exspensive. Take a good look at the higher grade rc trucks then tell me what exspensive is. Half the truck kits are not even complete. You still need to buy this and that and then electronics,
    If you just want to try one out get an Heng Long Tiger I or King Tiger or Bull Dog or even Then the new Panther G. All are good tanks But need Upgrades to bring them up to Tamiya quality.
    I am not knocking any of them .It just comes down to what you want to do with it and how much money you plaN Too Spend. Welcome Aboard.
    This is a very exciting hobby.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know that tamiyas tanks are a good quality...but first, I wanna try to see if I like it.....so I dont wanna invest that much yet! If I really like it, I will surely get something of better quality!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is why an HL tank is always a good first choice. The issue arises when someone who is familiar wirh rc vehicles gets dissappointed with a tank that does not perform as well as they think it should. HL has come along way over the last few years and has some very good models to choose from. This wasn't so not too long ago.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another thing to think about is this. Imay take the opposite stance from many who post here on the boards; Idon't think you necessarily need to get the metal upgrades. The metal tracks make the tank heavier and put a great deal more stress on the running gear than the plastic ones do. The KV tracks are very wide and quite strong in plastic; you don't need metal ones to get good performancs. Iown both, and metal and plastic tracked KV, and Ilike them both. The metal tracks are cool, and Ihave to say the track motion is a bit more realistic...or at least, how ITHINK it should look . The plastic ones, however, are lighter and work just great. The KV has a weak spot in it's running gear (the front idler is not attacked especially well), and lighter tracks may be kinder to it. So either way, the HL KV is a good tank, but metal may nto be the way to go for a first-time casual tank. Just more grist of the mill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If your thinking of going down the rtr route, have you thought of getting a second hand Tamiya pre built? I got my first Tamiya off eBay for £300 and I've seen them go on eBay recently for under £200. If you keep an eye out you can get a bargain which if you decide you don't like the hObby you will lose very little, if any money on!
    Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If your looking for a tank with lots of upgrades available nothing comes close to a tiger 1. You should go to you tube and search on Rc tank battles and look for videos from Danville VA. Before you buy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: whiteknight1066

Another thing to think about is this.Ā* IĀ*may take the opposite stance from many who post here on the boards; IĀ*don't think you necessarily need to get the metal upgrades.Ā* The metal tracks make the tank heavier and put a great deal more stress on the running gear than the plastic ones do.Ā* The KV tracks are very wide and quite strong in plastic; you don't need metal ones to get good performancs.Ā* IĀ*own both, and metal and plastic tracked KV, and IĀ*like them both.Ā* The metal tracks are cool, and IĀ*have to say the track motion is a bit more realistic...or at least, how IĀ*THINK it should look .Ā* The plastic ones, however, are lighter and work just great.Ā* The KV has a weak spot in it's running gear (the front idler is not attacked especially well), and lighter tracks may be kinder to it.Ā* So either way, the HL KV is a good tank, but metal may nto be the way to go for a first-time casual tank.Ā* Just more grist of the mill
    That's a good point, KV tracks are pretty heavy-duty. My only experience is with Tamiya (Tiger I and M4) where the plastic tracks perform beautifully and the HL Pz III-IV where the plastic links are inherently thinner and weaker. My StuG threw a track within a few minutes on grass and the metal just has a great sag. Since Matomart upgrades both the gears, idler and drive sprocket as well as the tracks, does that help, or does the idler still need some reinforcing?

What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

haha now I really dont know what to get! Phil from RC tank wars told me that the KV is still great without the metal tracks!1  Wish they made canadian tanks like the Ram II or the Valentine...there is always the grizzly that is basically the sherman...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Patski

haha now I really dont know what to get! Phil from RC tank wars told me that the KV is still great without the metal tracks!1Ā* Wish they made canadian tanks like the Ram II or the Valentine...there is always the grizzly that is basically the sherman...

Oh, just get 'em all! The HL KV-1 is good but it will need an idler upgrade as the design and material is soft. After doing that, then go metal.

I have the KV-1 and it will be converted into something else and the stock idler system is already showing some fatigue.

BUT ... a Tamiya Tiger I is all about upgrades and an easy build! I'd go with the later and have some fun building it and then the pay-off, the drive.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I finally bought a Heng Long KV-1 from RC Dynasty in Ontario, it's basically coming from mato with all the matal upgrades....that should be a good start I guess!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Patski

Well I finally bought a Heng Long KV-1 from RC Dynasty in Ontario, it's basically coming from mato with all the matal upgrades....that should be a good start I guess!

Congrats! Let us know how you like it.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the KV-1 i did have to clock the springs on mine when i got it i looked like a boat riding on water the springs were so loose but other than that it was a great runner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will actually have my KV tonight!!! saw with the tracking number that it has been delivered to my house...unfortunately, i'm at work, so if i'm lucky, I might be able to get it at the post office tonight...if not it will be tomorrow...i'm looking at the motors and they look a bit cheap...anyone tried Traxxas 380 motors in there? it's 18 turns motor and should be of better quality than the stock motor...as I have 2 of them that I dont really use, I could plug them in there and see what it looks like! specially when the metal tracks will be on...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

got my tank last night!!! I had some little problems with the remote antenna, there was a little plastic thing that was blocking me to screw it properly...so I opened the remote and fixed that, and at the same time I redid some solderings that were badly done!  now it works perfectly! i'm not thinking about painting it right away, I want to enjoy it until fall or something, but I was wondering...you guys use tamiya paint for that? and do you prime it as well?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would go with a Tamiya from the AAF Tank Museum in Danville. They have the best prices and Tamiya holds their value if you don't like the hobby and want to get out. Either way you are in a win-win situation.
    Tam Panther G, Tam KV-2, T-34/76 1943 Daryl Turner Edition (WSN/Tamiya), T-34/76 1942 Daryl Turner Edition (WSN/Tamiya)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used ordinary red oxide primer from Home Depot - make sure you get the plastic specific stuff (alternatively bumper primer from an auto store will work just as well) as it will stick better and flex with the plastic. After that you can use any 'normal' model paint, acrylic or enamel.

A few pointers based on my experience with the KV:
    Keep it stored with a block of wood under it to keep it off its wheels, the springs will collapse over time otherwise.
    I haven't had to replace the idler mounting assemblies on mine, yet... but I have replacement metal parts on standby just incase...
    Don't bother with the brass Mato gearboxes, they aren't strong enough - if you want a decent gearbox that will last get the all black black steel ones from Asiatam.

Good luck with it! [8D]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast