Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
modelbob71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries

Could someone please explain the difference between a nicad battery and a nimhd battery, the pros and cons of each and if
you charge them the same etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Batteries

Google it. Saves time and you'll get a clearer answer.

~ Jeff
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM
rampa203

While you are Googling, check out Lipo as well. Mostpeople migrate to Lipo sooner or later, unless they drive a tank.

Russ
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I understand it, Nicads are old school, they're kind of limited in storage and are prone to 'memory' but last a long time and are safe. I have them from years ago and just bought some more for $12 each because my Hobbico charger is set up for them.

Nimhd don't have the memory issues and more storage than Nicads for the same size.

Lipos are amazing for their size, but can be dangerous. The require care in handling, charging and usage and tend to be pricey, so for tanks they trade offs may not be worth it.

Bottom line, If I was in the market for a new charger, I'd go Nimhd. I'm not, so I stick with the pile of 1500-1800 mAh Nicads I have and get 20-25 run times with my tanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
tachouman

Use Lipo, they are much better, they last longer, recharge better, and they are much smaller.

I get them from here:

http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerl...91whwopcb.aspx

Cheers.

T. Chouman

I have 26, 1/16th RC tanks and growing :
1x Tiger (Tamiya, FO), 2x King Tigers(Tamiya, FO), 3x Pershings(Tamiya, FO),1x gepard(Tamiya), 2x Leopard 1A4s (Tamiya), 4x Leopard 2A6s(Tamia FO), 2x Shermans 105 (Tamiya FO), 2x Panthers (Tamiya FO), 1x Panzer IV (Tamiya FO), 1x KV-1 (Tamiya FO), 1x Kubelwagen (Tamiya), 1x T-34/85 (Wasan), 2x Panzer III (HenLong FO), 1x Panzer IV (HenLong FO), 1x KV-1 (HenLong FO), 1x Walker Buldog (HenLong FO).
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 PM
hiramekisama

NiMh is better than NiCd (Cadnium is poisonous). You can easily get an 7V NiMh ~5300mAh on ebay for less than 20 bucks.

As for Lipo, the only reason why I use them is whenever I need a 12V source. They are brutally expensive. Not to mention you need to buy a specialized charger for Lipo as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:54 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

You can get an 8000mah 7.4v Lipo for @$31 at Hobbyking:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
DirtyBird69

I agree...while Lipos are nice, especially when space is a real issue,just go with NiMh..much cheaper and last a long time(no need to discharge) and you can use any standard RC charger to charge them(cheaper)...

ORIGINAL: hiramekisama

NiMh is better than NiCd (Cadnium is poisonous). You can easily get an 7V NiMh ~5300mAh on ebay for less than 20 bucks.

As for Lipo, the only reason why I use them is whenever I need a 12V source. They are brutally expensive. Not to mention you need to buy a specialized charger for Lipo as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

NiCd are generally cheaper and can take abuse like overcharging, short term shorting or undercharging without serious effect. Most can be 'rejuvenated' from a deep drain condition. Capable of parallel battery configurations.

The NiMh are in a better price range than they used to but do require more charging care (specific detection charger) and periodic recharging if left on the shelf a long time. They do have more capacity than NiCd. A matched set including Charging is required for parallel battery configurations.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM
ausf

I have a Hobbico charger/discharger from years ago that was Tower Hobbies' standard for use with Nicads. It has a timer with a simple analog meter showing charge rates, but nothing like today's sophisticated units.

Can I use it with NiMH batts?