Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Trouble with muzzle flash…

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Trouble with muzzle flash…

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Trouble with muzzle flash…

My Tamiya Leopard 2A6 seems to have a problem with the muzzle flash. It only works sometimes. I have opened up the turret and checked the wires and connections and everything seems fine. The flash works just fine when it does work. Recoil and sound are also just fine and always work.
Any ideas?
Could it be the high voltage unit?
The DMD?
I’m at a loss to find the problem and I would like to avoid purchasing a new part till I’m sure it is the broken one.
Thanks for any help you may offer.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Trouble with muzzle flash…

Sounds normal to me... if it stops working altogether then something is busted - otherwise cycle the power on the radio and the tank and you should be good

Hope this helps,
Mart
Old 06-15-2012, 01:14 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to my Tiger I. I swapped the flash unit out and it's the same result (both flashes work in other tanks). I tried everything I could think of, but apparently it's a common issue with the MFU after a while. I've read somewhere that you can send it back to Tamiya for repair, but I've never taken that step since everything else functions fine.

Honestly, I usually unhook it tanks with recoil anyway since it's a big draw on power and the recoil gives you visual representation of firing. It's more important on kits like the M4.

Good luck though.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Pah co chu puk

OK   Sounds like I should not worry about it.

I will try the power off/on idea next time it does that.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Panther G

I don't know if it is the MFU. The flash unit is more likely to fail than the MFU. I have replaced 2 so far. Flash units that is.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 PM
ausf

ORIGINAL: Panther G

I don't know if it is the MFU. The flash unit is more likely to fail than the MFU. I have replaced 2 so far. Flash units that is.

I thought the same, but when searching for info I came across it being a common issue due to the nature of the higher draw and stress on the unit. I know I have two tanks about 10 years old and 50% of them don't flash (but I now have spare flash units). I was hoping it would have been a easily replaceable part or even a DIY fix, but since Tamiya will repair it free I guess it's an accepted issue with them and not a simple switch-out deal.

If I had a spare, I'd probably send it in, but I don't and would rather not to be down for 6 weeks.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Pah co chu puk

Well I looked it up and the HV unit is only about $20 and easy to switch out so I may just get a spare and see if it's any better.