Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Clark electronics TK20

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clark electronics TK20

ORIGINAL: mustclime

Thanks, I will look....In working with this board, has any one been able toseperate the sticks forhull and turret functions? In ir battleing not being able to turn the tank and turn the turret at the same time will be an issue, same with gun elevation and driving. With a tamiya tank able to do everything with the turret with one stick and everything with the hull with the other stick, guys with the clark board are just going to be easy kills up close.
Yes, as Tom pointed out, the controls can be set up separate, so the only real reason a Clark board user will be an easy kill should be determined by their RC skills, not by any limitations of the controls.

I have all movement & steering on my left stick, while all turret controls are on my right stick. It was very easy for me to set up on my FlySky CT6B controller using the DigitalRadio program as I outlined in my post here on the forum before => http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11331522

The only difference in control I have now, from what I had explained in that post, was I moved the gun elevation to channel 5 & now use a servo for it. So if Tamiya owners, or any other RC tank owners, can easily kill me in an RC battle, it's just that my battle skill experience is seriously lacking, & not because of the control setup I have on the tank.

~ Craig ~

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main problem I've come across with all these aftermarket battle systems (with exception of EL MOD or SLU, never tried'em) is they are set up for HL transmitters and controls.
The biggest hurdle is how to control elevation without the main gun or MG firing since like I said most of these are setup to work with the stick down revolving elevation unit
from HL. Has someone overcome this?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: TheBennyB

The main problem I've come across with all these aftermarket battle systems (with exception of EL MOD or SLU, never tried'em) is they are set up for HL transmitters and controls.
The biggest hurdle is how to control elevation without the main gun or MG firing since like I said most of these are setup to work with the stick down revolving elevation unit
Read the post just before yours , as I mentioned, you can add servo elevation if you want it.

Besides, even though the "stick down revolving elevation", or what I'll call cycling gun elevation, is a HL "feature", the Clark board gives you control of the stock HL elevation motor to move it either way you want, up or down, whenever you want. You don't have to wait for a full cycle for the barrel elevation to change directions.

~ Craig ~

Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
TheBennyB

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Read the post just before yours , as I mentioned, you can add servo elevation if you want it.

Besides, even though the "stick down revolving elevation", or what I'll call cycling gun elevation, is a HL "feature", the Clark board gives you control of the stock HL elevation motor to move it either way you want, up or down, whenever you want. You don't have to wait for a full cycle for the barrel elevation to change directions.

~ Craig ~

Oh yea, forgot the clark had the servo elevation plug in. Now if YHR can get the Benedini to work for turret sounds as well as engine sounds we'll be in business.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
tsull

If you pop out the electronics on a servo, it works great as an electric motor. Hook up the power and negative leads and plug into the Clarke board and you have an instant servo (motor) controlled elevation. Smaller application then the HL cycling mess and much faster response. I tied a 22 ohm resistor to slow down the servo response. I'm going to try a Gear Servo which should move slower and have more torque as I think I choked the power down too much on the servo with the resistor (it struggles somewhat in raising the cannon).
tjs
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read the post just before yours [img][/img] , as I mentioned, you can add servo elevation if you want it.

Besides, even though the ''stick down revolving elevation'', or what I'll call cycling gun elevation, is a HL ''feature'', the Clark board gives you control of the stock HL elevation motor to move it either way you want, up or down, whenever you want. You don't have to wait for a full cycle for the barrel elevation to change directions.

~ Craig ~

Oh yea, forgot the clark had the servo elevation plug in. Now if YHR can get the Benedini to work for turret sounds as well as engine sounds we'll be in business.

You can mate up a Benedini to a Clark board, and get the engines sounds, but you have to use all the other Clark sounds. Which are pretty good.

The DBC3/Benedini, with a HK T6A radio operates just like a Tamiya now. you just need to use channel five for Gun elevation, and Map the Benedini to play gun elevation sounds when you use that channel. Both of my latest rebuilds, the T-34 and the Sherman both have this function.

I also have my Clark board set up to operate like all my other tanks. You just need to play around with the servo assignment. The only caution is that there is no start sequence for this board. As soon as you turn it on it is ready for action. I damn near ran my KV1 right off the bench!!!.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Along with the rest of the sounds, I think the turret sounds are very good on the Clark boards, so I'm already in business with just an inexpensive Clark board.

Also, not entirely true regarding the elevation Benny, the Clark TK22 has servo elevation & servo recoil, while the TK20 boards only have servo recoil built into them.

To add servo elevation on a TK20 board you need to do what I did by hooking up a servo directly to the receiver itself, bypassing the board.

~ Craig ~

Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think benny just means hacking the servo so it acts as a motor.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

I think benny just means hacking the servo so it acts as a motor.
Well then I guess you read Benny better than I do Tom , because to me his post sounded like he thought you could just simply plug a servo straight into a TK20, & then get servo elevation.

~ Craig ~

Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: tsull

If you pop out the electronics on a servo, it works great as an electric motor. Hook up the power and negative leads and plug into the Clarke board and you have an instant servo (motor) controlled elevation. Smaller application then the HL cycling mess and much faster response. I tied a 22 ohm resistor to slow down the servo response. I'm going to try a Gear Servo which should move slower and have more torque as I think I choked the power down too much on the servo with the resistor (it struggles somewhat in raising the cannon).
tjs
I don't have much experience with servos at all, & never did a mod to any. The servos I installed in both my HL tanks to get recoil & elevation recently were the first I've ever held in my hands.

So if you take out the electronics from the servo, it just becomes a typical motor, meaning it just keeps turning in one direction according to polarity, without stopping at high & low peaks?

Then in essence, if I'm getting this right, it's just a better movement (by your experience as regards to response time) than the stock HL motor provides, & has a smaller footprint, but not really a servo like action anymore, so if you keep the stick in one direction it will also just cycle the barrel just as the HL stock system. Is this correct?

~ Craig ~
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
tomhugill

Sorry craig, meant Tsulls post about servo hacking
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tsull

tjs
I don't have much experience with servos at all, & never did a mod to any. The servos I installed in both my HL tanks to get recoil & elevation recently were the first I've ever held in my hands.

So if you take out the electronics from the servo, it just becomes a typical motor, meaning it just keeps turning in one direction according to polarity, without stopping at high & low peaks?

Then in essence, if I'm getting this right, it's just a better movement (by your experience as regards to response time) than the stock HL motor provides, & has a smaller footprint, but not really a servo like action anymore, so if you keep the stick in one direction it will also just cycle the barrel just as the HL stock system. Is this correct?

~ Craig ~
yup. The is physical cog that needs to be filed down as well
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
TheBennyB

Along with the rest of the sounds, I think the turret sounds are very good on the Clark boards, so I'm already in business with just an inexpensive Clark board.

Also, not entirely true regarding the elevation Benny, the Clark TK22 has servo elevation & servo recoil, while the TK20 boards only have servo recoil built into them.

To add servo elevation on a TK20 board you need to do what I did by hooking up a servo directly to the receiver itself, bypassing the board.

~ Craig ~

Right on. I'm working on a project that needs the smallest electronics package available and uses unique sound files, not that of a usual 75, 76, 88, etc. So in a perfect world I'd need a TK22 with
the ability to use a benedini for all sounds. For now I'll prob just go with the DBC3/benedini YHR set me up with and use servo's for recoil and elevation. Just gonna have to be careful on the amount of stick travel so the main gun and MG don't fire when I elevate/depress.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
tsull

I didn't remove the cog in the servo that I just hacked. I was using it to drive my elevation so I didn't want it to rotate fully like a motor. I don't know if it really makes a difference as the elevation has stops in it that restrict the movement of the servo motor. My first try was with a Tamiya gear set that I bought for $12. If you haven't played with one, they are fun to put together and work well. The problem was there was just enough slop in the gears and the torque was so strong that once it hit the elevation stops, it started tearing the gears apart.
tjs
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I am throwing in the towel with clarks site.....that pretty much meansI am giving up trying to get their dam boards running in the e100. From what I can gather, their site takes so long to open,my cable/internet provider drops the connection asnot being there.

thanks for all the help guys, good luck with these.......
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
mustclime

well I did not burn up the card or the speaker....the hl volume knob cooked. I got another one from another project and used larger wires to cut resistance.....now the sound isgreat with my 2.5mm thickstyreen speaker box and a sony speaker I got from phill.....I have all the turret action on the left stick and all thehull action on the right stick.....thing still turns like a pig, I still have some issues with the settings with the transmitter.....

since I can not get onto the clark site, I need any info you guys can get on how to hook up the "real recoil" with a hs 81 servo...that and any info on setting up the turret....
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Mustclime did you try using Firefox? I never have any problems using that browser.

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

well I did not burn up the card or the speaker....the hl volume knob cooked.
Well that's good news, & also one of my very first suggestions I mentioned for you to check, because the sound can't work without a properly working volume pot connected. Besides, if anyone goes through the trouble of adding a better speaker to the system it only makes sense to actually go ahead & replace the junk HL volume pots with a better pot anyway, it will sound even better!

~ Craig ~

Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
mustclime

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

Mustclime did you try using Firefox? I never have any problems using that browser.

Cheers
Wade
I updated to Internet explorer 8 and AOL10.1......seems that the problem is my Internetprovider.....Iuse optium cable for it...the problem is how slow the server that Clark uses. It takes so long for the site to respond, that they cut the connection post that the siteis not there..........
Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
FreakyDude

Mustclime it is your settings or your internet, My PC, Laptop, Phone and Playbook all load clarks site with a vareity of browsers.
Go into your security settings and lower them just to see if it actually loads the site

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

Cheers
Wade
I updated to Internet explorer 8 and AOL10.1......seems that the problem is my Internetprovider.....Iuse optium cable for it...the problem is how slow the server that Clark uses. It takes so long for the site to respond, that they cut the connection post that the siteis not there..........
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM
mustclime

lol...I need to lower the security settings to read Clark? yea, thats a good idea......not!.....aol replied to my questions about not getting through to Clark by telling me that 10% world wide web identity theft out there is coming out ofthe wed service these guys are using......If its a choice between throwing 2 Clark boards in the trash or dealing with someone taking 2 loans out on my house because I lowered my security settings for some web site out of china.......guess those boards are toast.....my brother-in-law just spent over 8 grand to clear some overseas identity theft issues...the laws in this country make you the fall guy for someone stealing your identity, not the bank...think about it.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

lol...I need to lower the security settings to read Clark? yea, thats a good idea......not!.....aol replied to my questions about not getting through to Clark by telling me that 10% world wide web identity theft out there is coming out ofthe wed service these guys are using......If its a choice between throwing 2 Clark boards in the trash or dealing with someone taking 2 loans out on my house because I lowered my security settings for some web site out of china.......guess those boards are toast.....my brother-in-law just spent over 8 grand to clear some overseas identity theft issues...the laws in this country make you the fall guy for someone stealing your identity, not the bank...think about it.
No one needs to lower security settings in their browser to visit Clark's site. Besides, the Clark website loads extremely fast, so there is also nothing wrong with their servers that would cause any lengthy time delay for an ISP to drop connections as you implied earlier, & it works just fine for everyone so far but you. The only reason you have a delay & error is because your ISP has apparently banned an entire block of servers provided by a web service which they told you was unsafe.

And I did think about it, so maybe you should too, because it sure doesn't seem like any other ISP services have been banning Clark Models website for any reason with all the other forum members from around the world that use different ISP services to access the site. So either everyone else on all the various tank forums who visited Clark's website over the last year all have very poor or lacking ISP security services, or your service is being overly restrictive without real reason to be that way. You do what you want concerning the boards, but I would get rid of AOL & find another ISP before I got rid of the Clark boards.

~ Craig ~
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 AM
tomhugill

Hey Scott, there's a screen cap off the clark site showing which plug the servo recoil goes into
http://rctankregiment.com/rctankforum/download/file.php?id=5209
There's a link giving you the setup information you will need. If you need more info let me know and I'll knock up a PDF or something for you

Ps if that pictures not 100% clear it's the three pin port closest to the white socket the servo connects to.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 AM
tomhugill

Btw do you have a cell phone capable of opening web pages? Might be another option.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

Well it's not the ISP. I use optimum cable and pinged the site and it's rate is.657 sec. It loads on my screen in less then 2 seconds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.