Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Adjustable IR range.

We use the mid 950s, which according to the chart is mostly above 80% transmittance (Unless I'm reading it wrong).

It looks like .944 " (nearly an inch thick) only briefly dips below 80% in the 900-1000 nm range.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TheBennyB

After all is said and done I think all you'd have is a battlefield ofΒ* Tigers or 'heavys''.Β* Awesome idea's though and it's always good to hear
    people pushing the envelope on the technology side.
    The only way around that would be to assign a value to the different classes. If you had 6 tankers at a meet, say one gets a set a heavy and the other 5 medium (or lights or a mix) on a separate team. The Tiger needs to survive, the lights need to work together and close ranks. Or maybe two mediums against three lights.

Of course that wouldn't fly, it would be too complicated to set up in any reasonable amount of time and too many personalities to take into account.

It would probably only work in a type of venue where the battlefield and tanks are provided, you just show up a drive. Kind of like a slot car type of thing, but the audience for that sort of thing would be limited.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys Had a Thought ,mini Maglight torches,they have a focus beam ,i wonder if its possible to make use of this may increase the range (should narrow the beam)so you would have to be more accurate at aiming.

regards pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ausf

ORIGINAL: YHR

THe challenge becomes Five shermans against one Tiger, and see who wins.
    Using two stock Tammys with TBUs, there is no way a Tiger will beat my 10 year old son equipped with one M4. At least in the open, which is the opposite of reality. He drives in circles until he catches you with your slow arse turret out of position at scores a hit or two. After two, when the less than nimble Tiger gets slower with damage he chews you up. He has to make a mistake for you to even have a chance.

It's only fair in tight confined areas which is exactly the opposite of real Tigers. They sucked in cities and were best in small groups in open areas.

The thought of facing two Tammy M4s with a Tiger gives me the chills. Five? Yikes. Multiply that by ten if you are talking Jagd Panther or Tiger where there's even less chance without the turret.
    THis where the range comes in . The Shermans from 9 meteres out couldn't score a hit on the Tiger. Where as the Tiger could score hits on your Sherman from 28 meters away.

IT just changes up the game to make it something different then it is. We have to get our minds around not having equal teams of 4 on 4.

Include the emitter range, and put 6 shermans up against a Tiger and a Panther and see who wins. We have way more Shermans now then there ever was before in this crowd. So getting some Allied to axis ratio in line with reality is getting doable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wright 971

Hi Guys Had a Thought ,mini Maglight torches,they have a focus beam ,i wonder if its possible to make use of this may increase the range (should narrow the beam)so you would have to be more accurate at aiming.

Β*regards peteΒ*
    I harvested a bunch of focused lenses out of some Lazer tag guns. They diffirently narrow the beam and increase the range.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ausf

ORIGINAL: heavyaslead

As for limiting IR range, has anyone ideas on a simple material insert in the IR tube that would simulate range?

By that I mean, a heavy for instance could have no insert, a medium have some translucent insert in the IR tube and a light have another type of translucent insert.

The insert could be labeled 'light' or 'medium' and be in the toolbox easily installed or extracted without any electronic modification.

IR is better as it gets filtered. The more you cut out visible light, the more effective the IR is. Tamiyas filter is completely opaque. I've tested different scrim sheets, eliminating visible light in the spectrum and it only increases the range.

The wildest thing I came across is it works through PVC pipe. I mean eighth of an inch thick solid white plumbing PVC. I thought I was shielding the sensors with it when testing but I kept getting hits. Finally, I sealed one completely in a one inch pipe and it took hits from 15 feet away.
    I think you misunderstand my suggestion.

It's not the detector that would have the material but the IR emitter tube that would have the material insert.

IR is a lower wavelength than visible light and so will penetrate opaque objects better. The Tamiya IR LED is centered around 940nm wavelength.
    Cheers
    Eric Scott
    www.SEAD.us

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'd need to take the Shermans' 45-degree defense out of the way for that lone Tiger to begin to have a chance! Even so he would need to knock out 2-3 of the Shermans (in medium 5 hits/tank) before the Shermans close down the 19 meter gap between the Tiger's effective gun range and the Shermans'. After that it becomes a hit point slugfest which the Tiger would lose because of its slow rate of fire. Those odds and scenario are based on well-documented history, and you'd need to do likewise for every type of tank. For example, how many StuGs are equivalent to one King Tiger? Or, how does a Sherman 76mm compare to a Firefly to a 105mm to a M51?

The game would be more realistic, for sure, but exceedingly complex. And if we were getting into realism, who would want to be in a Ronson to be one-shot killed by a Tiger 30 seconds into the game?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan, speak to me about this pot. We have to go to City Monday and we'll stop in Radio Market and see what's there.
    Robert Herne
    Owner - ETO Armor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It s just an adjustable trim pot. 0-500 ohms is the one I used, but the last half of the pot is dead, meaning that you probably only need a 200 ohm one. They have thee pins. You connect pin 1 & 2 and then this goes inline to one of the pins on the IR LED. It acts like a variable resistor that you dail in the resistance you need for a given IR intensity

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, thanks Dan! I'll see if we can pick a few up and I'll experiment with them. Quite an interesting concept and between this and the turnigy chip it could well make the combat more interesting to say the least.
    Robert Herne
    Owner - ETO Armor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have we solved anything here? What I really believe is needed is accurate IR beam and adjustable range. Everything else would just over complicate things. tactics will always play the biggest part in the out come of an IR battle but with these 2 areas addressed I think it would be much more fun. 
     We i believe will only be able to add so much realism to the game no matter what we do, and if it is too real you would not ever be able to supply the appropriate numbers of opposing tanks to make up the numerical superiority of the Allied armies. We are getting more allied vehicles all the time but there is a huge amount of ground to make up and most first time RC Tankers will go with German armor as it is the most prevalent.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THis IR adjustment, and emitter tube length can help fine tune the IR beam. It is up to tankers if they want to try it or not. We are starting to see more new blood in the game, so maybe there will be some moving away from the tradional norm. It can be done, but do people want to do it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I personally like the idea. I hate it when you take a shot at a tank that you know is in range and on target but nothing. I think if the beam was less diffused it would be slightly more accurate. i may be wrong on this because i just don't know all the in's and out's but it sounds like it makes sense.
     This is a simple way to make the game better and I think individual clubs would be open to try it and then maybe it can be integrated into the gameplay at major events.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12