Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: HL's market.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HL's market.

Has anyone ever seen them in stores or know of someone who has them besides us? I mean like a neighborhood kid, etc.

I haven't been in a toy store in years and haven't seen them in hobby shops, but I don't think they have a large presence in the States. The only time I've come across one was at a RC plane show where a vendor had one on a shelf with subs.

They're all over the place online of course and I get emails from Shantou city every few days offering containers full of tanks.

I know this is a specific community. I've bought four, but they're all for conversion and from what I gather, it's the same for most of us.

Whose buying them?

What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HL's market.

I have seen them in my LHS, and quite expensive at that. And the next time I was in they were all gone. So I think it was an experiment on their side to see if they sold. But haven't seen them there since.

Cheers
    Wade
    N.E.A.D Member
    All my tanks are in the project stage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't know of any neighborhood hobby shops dealing with HL...or RC tanks either. Local shops here only want airplanes and those with armor only want 1;35 and no RC. . I get most my conversion materials off Ebay...care less about electronics, so some cheap non S&S stuff is good for rebuilds. Picked up a nice Pershing that wasn't running, but a flip of the switch on the bottom fixed it. Now I have a nice running T-23.
    HL M-26, M-46, M-41B, T-34/85, IDF M-51 (2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would think their market would be a Target or Toys R Us, but maybe the reliability is the issue.

I know I can get them in the neighborhood of 30-40 USD each, but shipping is a bear unless you use containers.

We can't be their target, we're Tamiya's target, so who's buying 'em?

Unless the 'once and done' like some RTF AC is their method. You know the buy it for the kid for his birthday and it's busted by lunchtime.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Hobby shops in my area only carry Trains,Planes.Helli, RC Cars - Trucks and Boats .
    In my city there are only a couple shops and they only have just so much on hand but will order anything you want you have to drive 1 to 2 hours to another city to get to a big Hobby shop and they still don't carry any Tanks in 1/16 .
    I think HL sale mostly in Asia and some other Country's .

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whenever I go to hobby shops if they have anything RC it is only the vs tanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HL's quality control is so bad no shop owner is going to stand for selling 5 tanks and getting 3 back for repair! I don't know how Amazon and others
    manage to keep selling them. What do they do with all the rejected returns. I'd love to get some of them!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have them in hobby shops In the UK like Model Zone and Antics, in Hong Kong hobby/toy shops are stacked full of them!

ORIGINAL: modelbob71
    What do they do with all the rejected returns. I'd love to get some of them!
    I have talked to a Model Zone manager about this, he said the returns get stocked in a warehouse and either sent back to supplier or sold to someone willing to have them for very cheap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also think the qualtiy has picked up, so less returns then in the past with the RX 13 and 14 boards.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Modelzone stock them in the uk, I need to get onto the Manchester branch to get some of the returns cheap!

Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My friend owns a model shop and sells them. There have not been many returns and he has sold quite a few of them over the last two or three years. He has detailed up and repainted quite a few as well for customers who are looking for something a bit different but cannot do it to the standard he does as he is an armour model builder himself.

Cheers
    Gorehound

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the Hobby Town shop in Nanuet ny has them( this is a chain store), The owner told me "that there were some return isses a couple years ago but they havegotten better"....they tend to sell the sound and smoke bb tanks for $160............
    That which does not destroy me just makes me more irritable

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've seen some in a couple rc hobby stores around L.A. There's usually a couple vendors selling them (at high prices) at ipms model events too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know that in the states of New York and New Jersey there has been a ban on stores like Walmart Toys R us just to name a few. It was something that women felt that there is no reason or a need that these stores should be selling item related to war and put some type of law forbidding these stores from selling war related items. and they wanted all and any of it off the shelvs. so this way if little bobby is having a birthday party mom knows that there is no way little bobby is going to get any thing to make he son have any bad ideas that come with what the toy represents , thus we have no option. to the best of my knowledge this has been going on for at least three years now. at one time toys r us and Walmart were great places to pick up military items but no more. THANKS MOM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HL has improved substantially over the past couple years and I have never had to return any. They are great for model and conversion work and when one considers the price difference on a tank which is going to be vasty reconfigured, HL is the ideal choice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys
    My 2 cents - I've got 6 & 1/2 M41's & a M26, all HL. All have worked on arrival, so they're reasonably reliable. Here in NZ few shops stock them, more interest in planes, Heli's & cars. The odd Tamiya tanks are seen, but think the cost is the major limiting factor - it was for me - and my local Model shop had a small selection of VS tanks, but haven't seen them for a year or more. Occasionally HL tanks are advertised on TradeMe - our equivalent of ebay- but generally they're unseen.

Mal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heard about that ban but never confirmed. Stupid move, as there a gazillion pistols, rifles plastic AK-47s and and many sci-fi guns in all the toy racks....plus, what is the only thing to see on TV today....shooting, blowing up, fighting..so what does litttle warrior want....a gun. An RC toy that promotes hand eye coordination has no place in Wally. [:'(]

Hobby Town here does not want to deal with RC tanks..they had a Tammy Leo for 2 yrs and couldn't sell it due to the price. They have seen my HLs running and some employees were in favor, but the boss and the higher echelons of "management" say no. They are all goo goo over crash n burn helis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Heard about that ban but never confirmed. Stupid move, as there a gazillion pistols, rifles plastic AK-47s and and many sci-fi guns in all the toy racks....plus, what is the only thing to see on TV today....shooting, blowing up, fighting..so what does litttle warrior want....a gun. An RC toy that promotes hand eye coordination has no place in Wally. [:'(]

Hobby Town here does not want to deal with RC tanks..they had a Tammy Leo for 2 yrs and couldn't sell it due to the price. They have seen my HLs running and some employees were in favor, but the boss and the higher echelons of ''management'' say no. They are all goo goo over crash n burn helis.
    And to add to that, most kids want something that goes fast also. My LHS has tons of cars, and trucks. And go into the plastic model section for supplies, that's a joke they are out of most of everything, and this is a chain store go figure. Most of the time I don't even go there anymore unless I am in the area, (18 miles away)

Cheers,
    Wade
    N.E.A.D Member
    All my tanks are in the project stage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In general the days of hobbyist who build things seems to be coming to an end. Mom and Dad are too busy to help the kids with a model, and prefer to buy RTR stuff that has the children playing with something 5 minute after the box is open. The little gaffers have no-one mentering them in building anything. So guess what. THey grow up with no modeling skills, and are uncomfortable with anything that you need to put together. Something is broke as soon as it quits working, and is a peice of garbage, so it better be cheap.

It is too bad, as I believe there is something that is fundamentally important in understanding how something works. My years as a kid, building models, and putting things together have served me well. There is nothing that comes through the door of my house that I am afraid to take apart and have a look at. It is amazing how many broken "Pieces of Junk" that have come across my workbench that were fixed as good as new in 15 minutes. A lot of people just throw stuff away the minute it quits working. I think this is because they just have not developed any kind of understanding about what goes on under the plastic, and are intimidated by having to put something back together.

That fact alone can set a Tamiya tank above the other RTR stuff. Yes they are expensive, but they come with good instruction to mentor a young mind into understanding some basic skills about mechanical movement. You guys know I have been a huge fan of Heng long, and I have spouted off about the expense of Tamiya stuff. However, if you were to ask me what is the best thing to buy a 10 year old boy/girl. I would tell you a Tamiya kit for the simple reason, it is not just about a model tank at that age, it is about learning and developing some fundemental skills about how things work. The kid that puts together a Tamiya kit, will not be afraid to take apart that electric can opener that just quit working, or having a look at why the ice cube dispensor isn't making ice any more. For me I have been through that, and ripping a cheap heng long apart to make it better is fun hence it has a lot of value to me, and the value the Tamiya has for me is not there. It is not going to teach me anything I don't already know. However for the novice( and that might mean anyone between the ages of 10-60) that expensive Tamiya tank can teach you a lot of things you will need to understand to make your Heng Long purchases that much more enjoyable

Kind of got sidetracked here, but the talk of what is being sold in hobbyshops now, got me thinking.

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: YHR

In general the days of hobbyist who build things seems to be coming to an end. Mom and Dad are too busy to help the kids with a model, and prefer to buy RTR stuff that has the children playing with something 5 minute after the box is open. The little gaffers have no-one mentering them in building anything. So guess what. THey grow up with no modeling skills, and are uncomfortable with anything that you need to put together. Something is broke as soon as it quits working, and is a peice of garbage, so it better be cheap.

It is too bad, as I believe there is something that is fundamentally important in understanding how something works. My years as a kid, building models, and putting things together have served me well. There is nothing that comes through the door of my house that I am afraid to take apart and have a look at. It is amazing how many broken "Pieces of Junk" that have come across my workbench that were fixed as good as new in 15 minutes. A lot of people just throw stuff away the minute it quits working. I think this is because they just have not developed any kind of understanding about what goes on under the plastic, and are intimidated by having to put something back together.

That fact alone can set a Tamiya tank above the other RTR stuff. Yes they are expensive, but they come with good instruction to mentor a young mind into understanding some basic skills about mechanical movement. You guys know I have been a huge fan of Heng long, and I have spouted off about the expense of Tamiya stuff. However, if you were to ask me what is the best thing to buy a 10 year old boy/girl. I would tell you a Tamiya kit for the simple reason, it is not just about a model tank at that age, it is about learning and developing some fundemental skills about how things work. The kid that puts together a Tamiya kit, will not be afraid to take apart that electric can opener that just quit working, or having a look at why the ice cube dispensor isn't making ice any more. For me I have been through that, and ripping a cheap heng long apart to make it better is fun hence it has a lot of value to me, and the value the Tamiya has for me is not there. It is not going to teach me anything I don't already know. However for the novice( and that might mean anyone between the ages of 10-60) that expensive Tamiya tank can teach you a lot of things you will need to understand to make your Heng Long purchases that much more enjoyable

Kind of got sidetracked here, but the talk of what is being sold in hobbyshops now, got me thinking.

Cheers
    Your first paragraph alone is kinda scary to me because it is true for myself... What may seem normal to you guys is totally foreign to me and I may be totally uncomfortable with doing. I am getting better, but even amongst those I know I am more willing to modify or do anthing "put together". I am too used to having someone or something tell me every exact thing I should do, and how to do it, rather than taking a step on my own.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree fully with you Dan.

The world needs engineers, not blind consumers. I'm always amazed at how inept people have become, especially given the wealth of info at their fingertips. My oven went on the blink a short while back. 15 minutes online and I had the part number. 20 minute round trip to the parts store, $15 and 10 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver and it was fixed. My neighbor had the exact same part go the same week, waited 2 days and paid almost $200 to the repairman.

I've been pumping MIT into my kid's heads since they were 3. Of all the people I've met in my life, the happiest are engineers and firemen. I'd rather them build something. My oldest wants to be an aerospace engineer, so the second day of summer vacation we were in a friend of a friend's airplane hangar looking over his projects. Then they got to spend an hour or so with a man building a WWI plane from scratch based on original plans and his Grandfather's notes. That and they got to ride in a replica BMW R75 with sidecar.

They've both been using airbrushes and building static kits for years, but at the same token, you and I didn't have access like they do now. Their iPods put them in touch in a way that was science fiction when I was a kid. I played with dirt. They do time lapse photography, animation, etc.
    What, me worry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MarkofZollo

I have talked to a Model Zone manager about this, he said the returns get stocked in a warehouse and either sent back to supplier or sold to someone willing to have them for very cheap

I need to find out how to tap into this source of supply

This would be great for me since I install new motors/gearboxes and electronics and use an upgrade radio, anyway.
    Please come on out and join us;

http://www.can-amtankclub.com/

Every one is welcome at our events.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In the early Heng Long days you could fnd them at outdoor supply stores such as Gander Mountain, it's getting harder and harder to find
    anything tank related at you local hobby shop, seems like all they want to carry are RTR Traxxas kits for customers to break and return to
    be fixed at a heavy cost.
    AAF # 111284-25
    A.C.E. member

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Internet purchase seems to be the only option in this part of Canada for 1/16 scale tanks and related materials.

I buy my paint at a hobby shop in Niagara Falls NY and radios & receivers from a shop in Bramton Ontario, but everything else is over the net.

The local shops carry static planes, cars, RR, and stuff that flys but no 1/16 rc tanks.

I think it is a specialized hobby with a smaller clientel and it is hard for the local shps to compete with the internet sellers.
    Please come on out and join us;

http://www.can-amtankclub.com/

Every one is welcome at our events.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots of LHS are carrying the Heng Long, I have even seen them at the local flea market. just look in the mom and pop shops, I doubt HL will take the price cuts to sell in the chains.
    www.shop.immortalhobbies.com

North American Distributor Of The Clark TK20 and TK22 Boards