Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Can someone confirm this electronics setup?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Can someone confirm this electronics setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can someone confirm this electronics setup?

Right Dan, perhaps I worded things wrong. I mean to say that elmod is designed to use its own components for all effects. I am sure anything can be done, but why would you bother to do this when you have the complete package and it is all the same brand and definitely compatible. Plus you get all the extra sounds with it.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just always am floored by the awesome sound from the bendini boards. Other than that I am just curious as to the capabilities and what can work with what.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

I have no argument on the benedini sounds, but I think elmod sounds are very good too and have no complaints witht hem. Of course, to each their own.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you Joe. If you are going El mod you might as well get the full El Mod Deal. The Benedini will deliver engine sounds, cannon, and machine guns sounds on any tank or RC Vehicle that uses a standard RC receiver. With the programmable radios that are out you could also probably do some other sound mapping as well, but then we are talking a huge learning curve with a great deal of complexity. You would really have to like that kind of thing to get the most out of it.

KISS is a principle that we should try and uphold!!!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:40 AM
ausf

You're right on that Dan. My head hurt every time I looked at the mapping possibilities. I love what some guys do, like adding the wheel chirp on landing, etc, but it's far beyond me limited comprehension.

By the way, that 6W Benny amp is awesome! The Visation speaker booms now, the whole tank vibrates with sound. I had to close the windows yesterday when I was testing a battery so the neighbors didn't think I was invading Russia. And yes, the pot on the back is volume.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Martellus

Oh yeah, that was the thing I forgot to ask. What speakers/speaker related items do you guys use?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are going elmod, they recommend an 8ohm speaker. check out this site http://www.parts-express.com/
I know Phil sells a speaker made by tang band, and parts express sells it but it is a 4ohm, now I don't know if that will make a difference or not. go to speaker section, then to midrange (extended range drivers) they have a lot of different sizes.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-830

Cheers,
Wade
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
ausf

I tried a few different 8 ohm, but the best I found in terms of high and low response was the Visation. It's German and what Benedini himself uses/sells.

I bought the FR8 and it's a monster. Growling bass, crisp upper end all in a 3" square. It turns my StuG III into a folded horn cabinet. It's a bit hard to find Visation in the States, but E-speakers (CA) had it for $18. Newark14 has them, but ship from England so they'll charge you $20+ for it.

I had to rearrange everything to fit, the 2.5" Quam I had in it mounted under the engine deck, but there wasn't enough room for the Visation there. There is enough room for the speaker and battery in the Pz III hull width though. I have a DBC, Benedini TBs mini, Benedini 6W amp, OrangeRX and a RX-18 all mounted as a removable unit. With the battery, the traverse servo and elevation space needed in the StuG, it's tight squeeze, but it sounds meeeeeeeaaan.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Martellus

Why do they both require expensive cables or something for customization? Bendini needs a 38 euro cable for sound sets, elmod requires a $36 cable or a 99 euro configurator for changing settings, already on top of a 89 euro minimum board.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
ausf

The price is probably a reflection of it being the only game in town, in which I don't blame them. The PIC chips in any of these systems are relatively inexpensive, but it has to be programmed by someone who spent a lot of time figuring it out, so it's worth it in my mind.

I don't have the cable (Dan sells them too) yet, I only have Macs and the Benedini software doesn't work with them. I borrowed a PC, but after a few hours a trying to use one, I wanted to toss the whole thing out of the window like the old SCTV promo. Eventually I'll partition my Macbook and run Windows (can't even believe I'm typing that). While I love the sound system, most of the beauty of the design is the way it can be customized. As is, Dan set me up with a Maybach, MG34, etc, all fitting the StuG, but I want to expand it in the future.

I think the El Mod configurator replaces the need for a PC.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Martellus

I guess. I do like the level of customization elmod seems to have. I could probably just use the t-34/85 sound set.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

As ausf stated the $99 configurator is to use in the field w/o a pc present. The (cable version) you connect through a USB and then you can select what sounds you want pershing, sherman, tiger, panther etc. Also you can select top speed, inertia (how fast the tank starts out ) how fast the turret turns, etc. So an example is if you have the elmod in a sherman, and you are outside, and you want to switch into say a panther then you hook up the configurator and switch it to panther sounds. The cable would work fine if you have a pc handy. Joe (yellowshaker) is the elmod guru on here. I have an older style elmod and love it. But he has taught me a wealth of info on the new models. And they are plug and play which is a lot nicer then the older versions. Also I believe you can use an mini sd card reader to accomplish the same with a pc, and those you can get for under $10

Cheers,
Wade
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just sell the cable. I don't make them. Best 38 Euros I ever spent though. I find building sound files a real enjoyable part of this hobby. I will say whatever system you buy, the heart of awesome sound is the sound files themselves. There is a real art to it, and I like the Benedini medium.