Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

first rc

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 PM
gould965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first rc

I am new to the rc world, i have been a modeler for over 10 years now, stricly military . i finally can afford a tamiya 1/16 full rc tank. i am looking at the tiger or the king tiger. to start with, i would like some feed back on if they are good for beginners and if there are any problems with either 2.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
harleridr

Default RE: first rc

neither seem to have a lot of room in the hull. Talk to Phil at RC Tank Wars.
harlel
Old 08-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of the two, IMHO the Tiger is better. Less complex, and more reliable. The most room in the hull of any Tamiya...room enough for 2 batteries.

Try your local hobby shop for a Tamiya Tiger. Phil at RC Tank Wars doesn't deal in Tamiya.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:58 PM
CHIEFSONN

Both tanks are good but you will have more problems with the track on the tiger II jumping off.and if you are planing on adding metal tracks you will need to get the rear Idler adjuster to help keep the tracks on and be sure to buy the newer kits,the transmission units (TU'S) are better.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Tamiya Tiger I was my first Full option kit. It is an easy build and a good runner. I have the Tamiya Tiger II as well and it has been fun to build as well. Has the same electronics as the Tiger I. The only thing I will upgrade or replace on the Tiger II is the track tensioner. I wish Tamiya had used the same system for the Tiger II that they used on the Tiger I and the Panther. It works so much better. Other then that the Tiger II is a good runner as well. Both have enough room inside,but Tiger I has the most space.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tiger is a great first build. It should work fine out of the box, yet you can add mods/upgrades as you see fit.

If you cannot find a local hobby store that stocks the Tiger check out the American Armor Foundation (AAF). Not only do they sell Tamiya kits & parts at very reasonable prices, they host one of the nicest indoor battlefields you will every see.

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com

From the FAQ thread, a little dated but the info should help;

TAMIYA TANK OWNERS FEEDBACK ON TAMIYA TANKS:

NOTE: Updated to reflect reader comments (*)

The purpose of this thread is to give some factual advice to those considering purchasing Tamiya Tanks. I hope to dispel the myth that all Tamiya tanks require hundreds of dollars in upgraded parts just to work. The three tanks listed below that I built were built STOCK, and meant to battle, complete with IR battle systems.
* Except for Gear Reduction and Idler Adjuster in my Tiger I, all the tanks run stock.

We will be listing the following regarding STOCK Tamiya Tanks - no major drive train / track mods.

1) Know Issue(s) - 2) Their Severity - 3) Recommended Fix(es)

If you have built or operate a Tamiya tank, please feel free to add to the list.

ALL TANKS:
1) Turret Rotation Unit is weak - 2) The more you hand turn the turret the worse it gets - 3) Either super glue the clutch or replace with a solid gear (Tamiya Gearbox Kit #72005). Proper cable management can help
* Some like to upgrade from the stock Brass Bearings to Sealed Bearings. Grease MUST be plastic safe. (Jeff)

TIGER I: (built plus feedback)
No Major Issues -
1) The Track Tensioner could be better - 2) Keep an eye on you track through out the day. The tracks can jump on the idler wheel - 3) Fabricate your own Tension system, or purchase an aftermarket tensioner (Daryl Tuners upgrade).
1) Main Gun Barrel Seam - 2) May cause recoil issues - 3) Careful sanding, filling, and painting of the seam,or replace with metal barrel.
* 1) Gear Box Brace - 2) Helps reduce gearbox and chassis flex. Metal Tracks cause more stress - 3) Fabricate your own or purchase after market (pcomm1)

KING TIGER: (have not built, based upon club member feedback)
1) Track Tensioner - 2) This is a major issue. If not adjusted properly, it can lead to track link breakage. - 3) Very careful adjustment of the stock unit, fabricate your own or purchase an aftermarket tensioner (Daryl Tuners upgrade).
1) Track Links are weak - 2) & 3) See Above - Tamiya has sent some tankers replacement tracks.
* 1) Gear Box Brace - 2) Helps reduce gearbox and chassis flex. Metal Tracks cause more stress - 3) Fabricate your own or purchase after market (pcomm1)
Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ksoc

The Tiger is a great first build. It should work fine out of the box, yet you can add mods/upgrades as you see fit.

If you cannot find a local hobby store that stocks the Tiger check out the American Armor Foundation (AAF). Not only do they sell Tamiya kits & parts at very reasonable prices, they host one of the nicest indoor battlefields you will every see.

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com

From the FAQ thread, a little dated but the info should help;

TAMIYA TANK OWNERS FEEDBACK ON TAMIYA TANKS:

NOTE: Updated to reflect reader comments (*)

The purpose of this thread is to give some factual advice to those considering purchasing Tamiya Tanks. I hope to dispel the myth that all Tamiya tanks require hundreds of dollars in upgraded parts just to work. The three tanks listed below that I built were built STOCK, and meant to battle, complete with IR battle systems.
* Except for Gear Reduction and Idler Adjuster in my Tiger I, all the tanks run stock.

We will be listing the following regarding STOCK Tamiya Tanks - no major drive train / track mods.

1) Know Issue(s) - 2) Their Severity - 3) Recommended Fix(es)

If you have built or operate a Tamiya tank, please feel free to add to the list.

ALL TANKS:
1) Turret Rotation Unit is weak - 2) The more you hand turn the turret the worse it gets - 3) Either super glue the clutch or replace with a solid gear (Tamiya Gearbox Kit #72005). Proper cable management can help
* Some like to upgrade from the stock Brass Bearings to Sealed Bearings. Grease MUST be plastic safe. (Jeff)

TIGER I: (built plus feedback)
No Major Issues -
1) The Track Tensioner could be better - 2) Keep an eye on you track through out the day. The tracks can jump on the idler wheel - 3) Fabricate your own Tension system, or purchase an aftermarket tensioner (Daryl Tuners upgrade).
1) Main Gun Barrel Seam - 2) May cause recoil issues - 3) Careful sanding, filling, and painting of the seam,or replace with metal barrel.

KING TIGER: (have not built, based upon club member feedback)
1) Track Tensioner - 2) This is a major issue. If not adjusted properly, it can lead to track link breakage. - 3) Very careful adjustment of the stock unit, fabricate your own or purchase an aftermarket tensioner (Daryl Tuners upgrade).
1) Track Links are weak - 2) & 3) See Above - Tamiya has sent some tankers replacement tracks.

i think if i ever have the funds to buy a Tamiya i would go with the American Armor Foundation (AAF). they seem to go out of their way to make sure you are happy and that they would help you in anyway they can they would be my first choice
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Both tanks are strong performers and share common electronics. That being said, the Tiger 1 OTB is a better performer. The stock tracks are stronger and the track tension adjusting system is better in the Tiger 1. There is a wealth of detail parts and add ons for both tanks. Depends on what you plan to do with him, IOW Sunday driver, detail competitions, or knock down drag out Infrarot competitions like at AAF Museum.

There is a great deal of knowledge on this forum. Some of the lads have been doing tanks for many years, and just about all of them are willing to share their knowledge. If you have any questions, just ask. Someone will answer generally rather quickly.

Here's two links to my sight. These links give you an idea of some of the items available for either tank.

http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=10

http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=9

With either tank, as I said you can go as little or as far as you want. Here's a pic or two of the inside of a Jagdtiger, King Tiger being the same. This one is heavily modified with reinforcements, hand made track adjusters, aftermarket suspension system, transmission brace and special eto produced competition transmissions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90879.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1797158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79591.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1797159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87042.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1797160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62175.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1797161  
Old 09-01-2012, 05:31 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

Hello gould965, I would listen to these fellow tankers. I too have been a military model builder on and off for a good 38yrs. I asked these tankers which would be a better first Tamiya RC tank the King Tiger or the M26Pershing and they told me the M26. Well I purchased the M26 from a local hobby shop at a good price. The lower hull is all done and it moves! I started work on the upper hull just last night. This kit is going together like a hot knife thru butter. I did purchase to upgrade parts from ETO ARMOR. The track tensioner upgrade went on smooth no hassles. The other upgrade is for the gun. I havent got that far yet.
Quick wrap up these tankers know there stuff. They help me make the right choice for my first Tamiya RC kit.
Thank You Guys.
My next Tamiya RC tank wil be the Panzer IV.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:55 PM
gould965

Tank you everyone for the help and ideas. i am going to stick with getting the tamiya tiger 1, however i also like the m26 and the kv1, just wish that one was a little cheaper.