Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tiger pulls to the right

Hi All, What would cause my Tiger to suddenly start pulling to the right? I just finished painting (my first attempt at painting and decals) Got it all back together and it pulls to the right while moving. I have it trimmed properly as far as I can tell, I counted the treads and both sides has the same amount. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tiger pulls to the right

If this is a Tamiya Tiger put it on a block of wood that will raise the tracks off the ground then start it and see if one track moves faster then the other if so you will need to adjust the rud screw on DMD .

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I should clarify, this is a Heng Long Tiger

I put it up on a block and ran it. It looks like if I try to run the motor slow the left tread runs faster. At mid speed they both seem to be running together. I played with the trim on the transmitter, I have that set where I think it's optimum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try the trim tabs next to the toggles on your hand set....move the oneunder the drive toggle tothe left, see how that works.
    That which does not destroy me just makes me more irritable

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Btw, NEAD is having a battle this weekend in northern NJ a little more than a hour from you, you should show up.

scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, I fully intend to be there Sunday. Can't wait. I set the trim under the toggle, it still seems to pull to the right, I'm constantly correctly to the left.
    Looking forward to meeting you all Sunday, has the location been determined yet?

This is my first attempt at painting and all, I haven't touched a model in over 40 years.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pm34831.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	1799914  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great...another option is you have more links in the tracks on one side than the other...I would pull the tracks and count them, then roll all the wheels and see if any are binding....

I think we are doing it at the crusing rc location, I am waiting for thecommander to finalize the location....if it cruzing, iwill be out there with the mower to close cut the grass....

I might bring the E100 that I started this weekend just for laughs....the thing is huge...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the same issue on my jagdpanther, one motor seems to be moving a lot faster than the other

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mustclime, he did mention that he counted the links already & they were even on both sides, though checking for any binding wheels should still be done.

ORIGINAL: tisaksen

I have the same issue on my jagdpanther, one motor seems to be moving a lot faster than the other
    I can see that happening, & if it's too severe a difference which the trim can't compensate for the drifting, then what did you do, get new motors?

kev308, does it drift at all speeds, or only when full speed? Just grasping here, but could it also be that the controller is allowing less voltage out on just one side?

Also, one other thing maybe worth a mention, that I believe could cause this effect, is if there are any worn gears on a gearbox that don't catch fully at all times. If that is the case, it would be getting pushed in that direction by the gearbox with all good gears. So check all the gears on the side the tank is drifting towards, for any worn gear teeth too.

~ Craig ~
    B.A.D.A.S.S. Force Club Founder
    Bucks Armored Division and Strategic Simulations
    www.badassforce.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I counted the links, but will do so again, to make sure they are correct. I will also give it a longer run thru when I get the chance, hopefully tomorrow after work. I noticed that while painting I rotated the drive wheels and it felt like the right wheel would stick every now and then it was more difficult to turn than the other side.
    Thanks, Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

Sounds like paint has gotton into places where it does not belong. Might have to check and clean the wheel shafts of paint and relub.

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you tried "stretching" the tracks a bit?.....You could have some links binding(I always seem to find some)...While your at it also check all the links to see if all the sprocket holes are clear of any excess casting.... 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First I changes the gears because the plastic ones were broken. I have 3:1 brass gears which I hate because they are too soft. I'm thinking maybe this is the issue that one or more of the gears are bent but I haven't been able to figure out which one(s), if any, yet.
    I also have new motors so I guess that might have something to do with it too. .I'll have to meassure the voltage to make sure the soldering doesn't suck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok so I counted the treads (3x just to be sure ) And I don't see any binding. However when I put the tank on a block, it looks like the right track hangs lower than the left. As far as I know there's no way to adjust that on an HL tank?
    Thanks, Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is a stock hl tiger with new gear boxes and no tensioners? If that is correct , check the gear box alinment, if on track is hanging lower than another and the links are the same on both sides, you might have a gear box angled forward or back and this could be causing the bunding or ristance. you should be able to lay a strait edge across the gear boxes and have both axils line up.......just a guess without seeing the tank...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok so last nite, I put her up on a block and ran the motor and fiddled with both trim toggles. Very interesting! But after a few minutes of this and that I think I got it squared away. A quick road test today after work and she seems to be running true.
    Looking at it on the block, and the right track hangs lower than the left one. I guess the motors musr be out of alignment? After Sunday I'm going to pull it apart again (that in itself is a pain)
    and I'll see what's what.
    Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should really invest the $50 in a tensioner...they're worth every cent!

http://rctankwars.com/products.asp