Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tamiya servo elevation & SLU

I have a club mate who is working on a Leopard 2 with servo elevation, and he's working on the SLU installation for it (no flaming about that one plz :P)

Was wondering if it's ever been done, using the stock turret servo for elevation somehow. The best I could come up with at the time was using a computer radio to set up travel limits and mix it into another channel.

Will this work? Any other options? Your input is appreciated!
    CAN-AM Rc Tank Club - Tiger I * Panzer IV * Panzer III * Chi Nu Kai * Stug III-G **** KV-2 * Pershing * T-34/85 * M4A1 Sherman * SU-76i

Clark board wizard. I can fix it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tamiya servo elevation & SLU

Could always try hacking the servo? Alternatively, spend the extra $100 and get a proper Dmd t-07.
    Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also how is he using the slu with the leopard gearbox? As it is designed to work with the proper Dmd and is afaik not compatable with other electronics.
    Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not sure really, and I considered modding the servo but that wouldnt help with the travel limits we'd need for the barrel.
    CAN-AM Rc Tank Club - Tiger I * Panzer IV * Panzer III * Chi Nu Kai * Stug III-G **** KV-2 * Pershing * T-34/85 * M4A1 Sherman * SU-76i

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK presumming there is no DMD TO7 in the vehicle. The servo could be hacked and just ignore travel limits (let it spin up and down) or go with the traditional elevation with limit tabs. Being a servo it has no clutch gear so it would ruin itself with limit tabs unless you use lockout limit switches... but the elctronics gets more complicated.

About the drive and steering: As tom said above it can not be done easily with the SLU. So I'm supposing independent dual gearboxes are being used instead of the stock differntial transmission, which can be done.
    Cheers
    Eric Scott
    www.SEAD.us

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmm thats interesting I'll bring it up.

And yea I believe he's installing HL style transmissions but that wasn't really talked about at our last meet!