Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

KV1 interesting facts

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM
modelbob71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KV1 interesting facts

I bought an HL KV1 a few weeks ago and did a little research to find out a little more about this tank. The KV1 (with aplique armor) is called
KV!E by the Russians and the KV1B by Tamiya. The KV1Es were made in early 1941 and I thought they were all wiped out by late 1942.
I tried to find out how many were made and the only reference I could find was "probably about 200". I was really surprised to find
a photo of a KV1E sitting next to a T34/85 as the two crews appeared to be enjoying lunch together. The photo was dated July 1944.
A little later I found out that the last Reserve HeavyTank Battalionturned their last KV1Esfor JS2s inDecember 1944! I suspect that
more than 200 weremade.
After carefully applying the propaganda slogan supplied with the tank (Crush the InvadingVipers) I discovered thatthe tanks with
propaganda slogans on them were really tanks used to train tank crews and for the occaisional parade. Combat KV1Es carried
little or no markings that I could find. I guess I'm going to have a ratty old training tank.So all of youHLKV1E owners out there
can nowauthenticaly battle Panthers andTigers (if you can get close enoigh) and Panzer IIIs and IVs. I'd stay away from the
Pershings though!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
dash69

Default RE: KV1 interesting facts

I have a KV-1 (metal hull) and it is one of my best tanks. Thanks for sharing info about this tank.

Be well,

David
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That's interesting. I always thought the slogans painted all over was a required thing on almost every tank because of a suggestion by Stalin to avoid becoming a volunteer for Siberian Service. But I think every army, Axis or Allied, did the same thing.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: modelbob71

I bought an HL KV1 a few weeks ago and did a little research to find out a little more about this tank. The KV1 (with aplique armor) is called
KV!E by the Russians and the KV1B by Tamiya. The KV1Es were made in early 1941 ...
Guys,
Chinese developers made one serious mistake that let all the world into not correct understanding of the abreviations...

Correct reading sgould beas KV-1E and not as written on the packing box KV1Es.

KV-1E means heavy tank KV-1 Ekranirovanny = "KV-1 with screens" ... BUTbe careful there was no such abreviation in 1941!
This abreviation came alive only at present times, developped by some authors of books. Actually this type of tank at war times was called "KV-1 with extra armour".
Source http://www.battlefield.ru/kv1.html
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM
fsciorelli

Good point Hal. Also,weren't most of the KV-1 Ekranirovanny produced at the Leningrad plant before the city was surrounded?

Best Regards
Frank
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM
HAL_HUSKER

ORIGINAL: fsciorelli

Good point Hal. Also,weren't most of the KV-1 Ekranirovanny produced at the Leningrad plant before the city was surrounded?

Best Regards
Frank
Mainly all Kv-1 and KV-2 (as well as all other experimental KV-es - KV-220 etc) were produced at Kirovsky Heavy Plant in Leningrad (St.Petersburg now)...
During the blocade Kirovsky Plant was engaged in repairing circle of KV-es, T-34 and other tanks... For Example some BT-7 were re-equipped with extra armour (front and sides).

Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM
modelbob71

Hi Hal,
Thanks for the additional information. Do you know, or can you find out approximatly how many KV-1E were built?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:13 AM
HAL_HUSKER

ORIGINAL: modelbob71

Hi Hal,
Thanks for the additional information. Do you know, or can you find out approximatly how many KV-1E were built?
How many - this question is still open.
These tanks were re-done because in June it was known that KV-1 armour can be hit by 88-th.
So from July 1941 it was given an order to addextra armour to the turret and sides of the tanks.

Where?
Again datadiffer.According to some records some tanks werere-made at Leningrad Kirovsky Heavy Plant and Plant â„– 371. According to other sources this work was fulfilled by Leningrad Metallic Plant.
But in the official records of Leningrad Kirovskyand Izhorsky Heavy Plantsthere are no notificationof such work done.

Butin August this program was closed alreadybecause the total weight of the tank itself increased up to almost 50 tonns. Thatwould lead to engine work overloading.

Also the extra armour wasmade onlyon KV-1 July 1941 production only.

Source http://pro-tank.ru/bronetehnika-sssr...nks-kv?start=2