Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya M26 tank tracks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya M26 tank tracks

Hello, I have a question about the tracks that come with the kit. Was this track style used in late WW II? I know that the early M26's had the T81 Tracks. Should the tracks that come with the kit be painted flat black on the inside to look like rubber? Or where these tracks all steel? The book I have shows the outside of the chevron style tracks steel with rust but book does not have a clear shot of the inside tracks. Also if I buy the T81 metal tracks made buy tamiya (84217) does this kit come with spare links for the side of the turrent?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya M26 tank tracks

Impact makes the t-81 tracks and also the T-84 tracks in metal with the rubber pads. Either one could be used for a WW2 M-26.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:25 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tracks supplied are late WW II 23 inch T-80E1. The Tamiya and HL Pershings are Korean War era tanks. The steel "combat" tracks had a coating of rubber inside on road wheel running surface but rest, plain steel....do NOT paint rust. Any rust that settles will be sanded off a mile down the road, to the point of being shiney. (see my avitar).

For WW II, you can also use the T-81 single pin tracks, as most came with these tracks.... and they just look cool.
The T-84 chevron rubber track is post WW II. Some M-26A1s in Korea had them and some avail for replacement tracks late in the war.

Track sets should come with a set of 4 for side turret mount...make sure they are mounted with the chevron toward the turret and center guide out. Proper mounting should be 2 sets of 2, so no center guide between the inner blocks. Some have the tracks with chevrons and center guide out, which is incorrect. It takes way too much time to use them if needed by having to reverse and re-mount everything.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

Thank You.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

So I should go over the pads on the inside of the tracks with a flat black just like the spare that goes on the turrent. Also would the spare on the turrent have some surface rust since it is not in use? Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 PM
pattoncommander

The blocks on the TURRET (not turrent) should be with rubber inside surface. You can paint the spare blocks metal or OD....we had ours painted OD to prevent rust....(and just too lazy to remove them for repainting the tank, so they got painted..)...and the inside flat black, as it's illegal to paint over rubber. . There were some variations/mods to the track and the T-80E4 had more rubber vulcanizing. Photo is my M-46, but turret was the same as Pershing. Tracks are early/mid 1950s T-80E4. If you are doing WW II, make sure you do not mount the external infantry phone on the back, and don't use the aux periscopes for the driver/BOG unless you are doing a very early issue (first 500). Only the two in the hatches.

For clarification, T-84 tracks were used with the Sherman HVSS in late WW II but were not used on M-26 until post war.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47721.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	1809067  
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

Thank you again. I did mount the phone on the back. I will have to remove it and putty up the holes. Was the phone used on post WWII M26 tanks?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 AM
pattoncommander

The rear infantry phone box was installed after WW II...a take-off from Shermans in infantry support roles. By Korea, all US tanks had
the phones. I believe Pershings in Germany had them in 1946-47.