Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Super Smoker II ~ where to buy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Super Smoker II ~ where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 AM
bullyhys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Smoker II ~ where to buy?

Tsull,

Did you ever get back from your trip?

Or does anyone have a connection diagram for the super smoker?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kind Regards,

bullyhys
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
tsull

Sorry, I missed the request (plus battling the cold from the kids...).
Here's the wiring diagram that Phil sent over. I sure love the Smoker. I wish I was smart enough to figure out how to wiring in a capacitor(?) where once the initial start up sequence would trigger a larger electrical charge to speed up the fans. This would replicate the start up of an engine then settle down to idle.
Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79467.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1818831  
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM
bullyhys

tsull,

Thanks for the post, my super-smokerII install is a complete success! My Jagdpanther looks awesome.

Now if I can just locate another unit or 2.

Kind Regards

bullyhys
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
tsull

Post a video! I love the Super Smoker. It makes my KT very realistic.
take care,
tjs
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have the in stock soon.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
DirtyBird69

hJoe installed one in my Elefant and the thing ROCKS!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Joe, When will you have them and what will the cost be? I want one for my StuG III G!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 AM
tisaksen

Cool, I will buy at least 3
Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

I will have the in stock soon.

I'm still on the fence and was thinking of installing on the HL KV.

Plenty of room in that beast.

~ Jeff
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll add them to the site as soon as they arrive.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM
nyleatherneck

It seems that there seems to be a misunderstanding that the Super Smoker II that were in the past being sold by the late Phil Pfluger, RC Tank Wars, are no longer available. This is not the case. The person who was building them and selling them through RC Tank Wars has turned the manufacturing and sale of Super Smoker II units over to Radio Control Custom tanks (radiocontrolcustomtanks.com).
These are exactly the same smokers as before with one slight improvement in that the electronics are now preassembled on a PBC board for convenience. These are the units that use a water based fluid so you don’t get an oily film all over your tank or boat.
They are the same and the price is still the same $55.00. Plus shipping, flat rate in the US $6.00 USPS Priority Mail.

Thanks
NYLeatherneck
Old 12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
nyleatherneck

Default Super Smoker II Where to buy

Originally Posted by strmnd54
The" super smoker II " is still the best option for a bigger volume of smoke ; but if you have an old H.L. unit , the modification should cost you around an extra $20.00 ...
I posted this mod. on another forum last year ....www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php
The Super Smoker II is available at www.radiocontrolcustomtanks.com Still the best smoker around and still $55.00

nyleatherneck
Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 AM
nyleatherneck

The Super Smoker II is available at www.radiocontrolcustomtanks.com The same version that Phil sold, the same design, the same price. Still making smoke for RC tanks.
NYLeatherneck
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nyleatherneck
The Super Smoker II is available at www.radiocontrolcustomtanks.com The same version that Phil sold, the same design, the same price. Still making smoke for RC tanks.
NYLeatherneck
This is a great smoker and I highly recommend Carl. He is fantastic to deal with.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

If you get a super smoker make sure you're not using it with an Imex 2.4G transmitter/receiver. It just don't work. I bought one and after months of sending it back and forth I finally ended up with a $55 paperweight. It's sitting on the shelf right now doing nothing but laughing at me. If anyone out there knows how to make one of these work in an Imex system I'd love to hear about it. So far it's been nothing but frustration.

Joe, did you say you're making them as well? If so, I'd be willing to send you an Imex Tx/Rx system on loan so you can see if you can get it to work. I did that with the guy I got mine from but he couldn't make it work and, like I said, it was pretty frustrating so I finally just gave up, but if you can get one to work I'll spend some money. :-)
Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 AM
nyleatherneck

Originally Posted by maxu52
If you get a super smoker make sure you're not using it with an Imex 2.4G transmitter/receiver. It just don't work. I bought one and after months of sending it back and forth I finally ended up with a $55 paperweight. It's sitting on the shelf right now doing nothing but laughing at me. If anyone out there knows how to make one of these work in an Imex system I'd love to hear about it. So far it's been nothing but frustration.

Joe, did you say you're making them as well? If so, I'd be willing to send you an Imex Tx/Rx system on loan so you can see if you can get it to work. I did that with the guy I got mine from but he couldn't make it work and, like I said, it was pretty frustrating so I finally just gave up, but if you can get one to work I'll spend some money. :-)
What was not said is that when he sent me the Taigen/IMEX units and I measured the voltage at the smoker port it was below 5 volts. That is too low to run the smoker. I checked with Erick at IMEX and he measured the voltage at 7.2 volts. I have since looked at several Taigen/IMEX 2.4 Ghz systems and found the smokier output voltage all over the place.

The initial problem with these units is they burned out the heating element. I fixed that problem, but now the ball is in their court.

For any who don't want to mess around there is another fix so you don't have to put the smoker on a shelf. Connect the smoker directly to the battery through a switch. The motor hookup remains the same. This is what you would have to do with El-Mod and Tamiya so I know this works.

If anyone has a problem with the Super Smoker II please contact me, most problems can be worked out. If you indeed have a bad unit, send it back they are guaranteed, I'll fix it at no charge.
It is still the best smoker for the money.
Carl
Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM
strmnd54

The super smoker has been originally designed to operate with the RX-18, for witch the smoke unit terminal is switching "on" and "off" the POWER with a transistor...
If the taigen/IMEX is the same as the taigen 2.4Ghz, this board is switching "on" and "off" the GROUND with a transistor...
For the 5 Volts regulator to work properly, the ground pin has to be connected directly to the ground and not through a transistor...
Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
qcrf

Default Heng Long smoker convertion

Hi Could you give more info on the wire wound resistor for the Heng Long smoker please?
Diagram of the wound resistor to fit the HL smoker please. I like this idea, I'm purchasing
several HL smokers and I want more smoke out of them. Your Idea is a great modification.
Carl.
You may send me info and pics to my email [email protected].

Last edited by qcrf; 04-09-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=strmnd54;11276233]I have given some thoughts for a while ; but concluded that I wouldn't have the time to do that between my job and family ....
Furthermore; the recent passing of Phil is flashing like a red warning light in front of my eyes ; since we were both suffering from similar " engine" problems..
I don't think that stressing myself to meet a deadline for a customer would do me any good ...So I take my hobby slow and relax ...
The mod. itself is rather easy : It requires the addition of a 5 Volts mini fan ( I buy mine from this site :www.ebay.ca/sch/redflagpower/m.html
Then you need a wire wound resistor ( around 14 OHMS 1Watts) from this site :www.surplussales.com/Resistors/WireWound/WW10-169.html
(look for this value )RWF) W81S14.7 14.7 ohm 1% 1w W81S Wire Wound Resistor
And finally , a kevlar cord ( for wick) that you can get here :www.firemecca.com/p-695-kevlar-r-cord.aspx
[/QUOTE

I tried this site but couldn't find the resistor. My local electronics shop says their 14 ohm resistors start at 5 watts. Would that work? The RWF 81S doesn't show up in their search engine, so what am I doing wrong?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:08 AM
strmnd54

Surplussales seems to be out of 14 Ohms 1 Watt resistors...
The 14 Ohms 5 Watts would work if you can fit it in the smoker...If you are unable to find anything, P.M. me your mailing address and I'll send you a 14 Ohms 1 Watt with the wick...I still have some left....