Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long: Panther G or M26?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long: Panther G or M26?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 AM
jlee104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long: Panther G or M26?

Is there any difference between performance and/or looks?
Which would you personally select?

Note:
Whichever I'm getting, it will be the matomart version (super IR version with metal upgrades), so there may also be a difference there.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Heng Long: Panther G or M26?

Both of them I have heard are the best runners Heng long offers. The panther g is the newer of the two, in order to get it to be more of a scale speed it would need 3:1 gear set, where as the Pershing M26 does not need these gears because of the sprocket design. So it all comes down to preference and or your budget. Can't go wrong with either one.

Cheers
Wade
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If having atank that is "right" is important, the G is a better choice IMO. The m26 has to many shocks but the panther's wheels are not quite right...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 AM
mfpage

The decision may have been made for you. To the best of my knowledge the HL M-26 is not available in the IRversion.

Mfpage

[quote]ORIGINAL: jlee104

Note:
Whichever I'm getting, it will be the matomart version (super IR version with metal upgrades), so there may also be a difference there.

[/quotee
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 AM
DirtyBird69

To be honestI would stay away from Matomart...I've ordered 3 tanks from them and they all had major problems an had to be returned(and if you have to return anything the shipping will kill you on cost). Better off to buy from a dealer who will actualy pull the tank out of the box(Like are good friend Phil use to do) and test it to make sure everything is ok...here's a good supplier: http://yourrcstore.com/store/tanks.html, ask for Tom he's a fellow tanker and a really good guy..
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM
FreakyDude

Straight up Panther G is better. only thing the G needs really is metal suspension arms and stronger springs.
3 to 1 gear box to make it a real climber.
Other than that in my opinion everything else is pretty dang good.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
jlee104

ORIGINAL: DirtyBird69

To be honestI would stay away from Matomart...I've ordered 3 tanks from them and they all had major problems an had to be returned(and if you have to return anything the shipping will kill you on cost). Better off to buy from a dealer who will actualy pull the tank out of the box(Like are good friend Phil use to do) and test it to make sure everything is ok...here's a good supplier: http://yourrcstore.com/store/tanks.html, ask for Tom he's a fellow tanker and a really good guy..
It seems like a good source, but I can't find the IR Panther G with upgrades that I was looking for...

Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Not to start anything but if you plan on dumping a bunch of money on it to upgrade... DON'T.

Save your coins towards getting a Tamiya kit or even a second hand Tamiya and you will enjoy it as is. Nothing wrong with HL tanks (as I do own a few), it's just my experienced opinion.

~ Jeff
Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jlee104

Note:

Both are good runners for Heng Long. I presume Tamiya is out of your budget at this time. As mentioned for H L IR battle the Panther G is the only choice. The M26 can be IR'ed is you are so inclined. But is is custom work. The Panther G (not the Pantiger) would be my choice since it can be painted in and endless variety of camo patterns. The M26 is rarely done in anyting but olive drab. The OD just gets boring. It is all up to you. As for who to buy from, the choice was always simple here on RCU...Phil at RC tankwars. Unfortunaley he recently passed away and we all miss him. He could work miracles with tanks and was very concerned with customer satisfaction. He tested each HL tank which NO OTHER retailer ever did. He also did custom modifications, paintwork and upgrades. Joe (Yellowshaker) and Mike (ETO) are stepping up filing the void for the quality custom work at J & M Armor Creations.

Their site is here: http://armorcreations.weebly.com/ Joe and Mike are vastly experienced and can work wonders on RC tanks.

The best route for the stock Heng Long tanks is Tom in Lancaster, PA as Dirty mentioned. He and I have been in communication and I know he tests each tank before it leaves his shop to make sure you will not be disapointed. That is very rare in the entry level tank vendor group. That is what will propel him to the top for HL tanks. You never want to ship a tank back to Mato or whomever (BTW- you pay for the costs). Most just send you the parts and tell you go fix it yourself. Of the 60 or so I have bought it has happened about 6 times. The RC tank sellers reputation is more important than the purchase price. This is true whether you are buying a HL, or a new built or used Tamiya. Spend the extra few dollars and get the full metal upgrade he offers. He may prove to be the best distrbutor since he is also very concerned with customer satisfaction like our dear buddy Phil was. I doubt we will ever meet anyone of Phil's caliber.... but at least we have some viable alternatives in Joe and Mike. And now Tom for the HL segment.

BTW... Tom acutally has a working phone number and speaks English. He will answer any questions and provide tech help over the phone to his H L tank customers.

Here is his link: http://www.yourrcstore.com/

We just want to make sure you get what you want and receive what you are paying for from the best vendors. Good luck, Bob
Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM
jlee104

Does Tom do custom paint jobs/upgrades?Also, is there an IR variant of the Panther G? Third and final question, on Tom's site, some are labeled as AirSoft RC or AirSoft RC battle tank. Is there a difference between the two?

ORIGINAL: thecommander

Note:

Both are good runners for Heng Long. I presume Tamiya is out of your budget at this time. As mentioned for H L IR battle the Panther G is the only choice. The M26 can be IR'ed is you are so inclined. But is is custom work. The Panther G (not the Pantiger) would be my choice since it can be painted in and endless variety of camo patterns. The M26 is rarely done in anyting but olive drab. The OD just gets boring. It is all up to you. As for who to buy from, the choice was always simple here on RCU...Phil at RC tankwars. Unfortunaley he recently passed away and we all miss him. He could work miracles with tanks and was very concerned with customer satisfaction. He tested each HL tank which NO OTHER retailer ever did. He also did custom modifications, paintwork and upgrades. Joe (Yellowshaker) and Mike (ETO) are stepping up filing the void for the quality custom work at J & M Armor Creations.

Their site is here: http://armorcreations.weebly.com/ Joe and Mike are vastly experienced and can work wonders on RC tanks.

The best route for the stock Heng Long tanks is Tom in Lancaster, PA as Dirty mentioned. He and I have been in communication and I know he tests each tank before it leaves his shop to make sure you will not be disapointed. That is very rare in the entry level tank vendor group. That is what will propel him to the top for HL tanks. You never want to ship a tank back to Mato or whomever (BTW- you pay for the costs). Most just send you the parts and tell you go fix it yourself. Of the 60 or so I have bought it has happened about 6 times. The RC tank sellers reputation is more important than the purchase price. This is true whether you are buying a HL, or a new built or used Tamiya. Spend the extra few dollars and get the full metal upgrade he offers. He may prove to be the best distrbutor since he is also very concerned with customer satisfaction like our dear buddy Phil was. I doubt we will ever meet anyone of Phil's caliber.... but at least we have some viable alternatives in Joe and Mike. And now Tom for the HL segment.

BTW... Tom acutally has a working phone number and speaks English. He will answer any questions and provide tech help over the phone to his H L tank customers.

Here is his link: http://www.yourrcstore.com/

We just want to make sure you get what you want and receive what you are paying for from the best vendors. Good luck, Bob
Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need custom paint, I can do this for you. Shoot me a PM
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Green Amphibian

There really is not any difference in AirSoft RC and AirSoft RC battle tank.

Herman
Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM
EOT

jlee,

Yes there is a difference between Airsoft and Airsoft RC battle tank. You want to get the latter it has smoke and sound and has 10 step speed control, the Airsoft has no sound and a 2 step speed and is harder to adapt to IR battling. While on that IR battling subject, the Hen Long IR
system is not compatible with the Tamiya system or any of the aftermarket systems out now. Just thought you should know.

If you would like go to our website: http://armorcreations.weebly.com/index.html and give me a call and we can talk about what you want option wise and custom paint too. We can do anything from the simple 1, 2, or 3 tone camouflage to heavily weathered what ever is you fancy we also go through the tanks and make sure they operate properly so that your first experience is a pleasant one. Nothing worse than a new person getting something there not happy with that is one thing Joe and I strive for. Look forward to hearing from you if you decide to choose us

Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
thecommander

Tom doesn't offer custom work. He is more interested in building his tank sales and reputation in the hobby. Joe and Mike at J & M Armor Creations are both well established in the hobby and can give you whatever your are looking for in camo. The airsoft battle tanks shoot only plastic BBs. It has very poor range and reliability is low, as is accuracy and ammo storage. They score and receive NO hits and never accumulate damage leading to being knocked out. The HL IR Battle tanks use a infrared beam only and have no airsoft ability. The stock HL IR tanks can ony battle another HL IR tank. The do register hits and die in battle. The Tamyia IR is not compatable with the HL IR. They speak a different language (HL= Chinese and Tamiya =Japanese). Several tank battle systems are available from the inespensive Davids Battle Unit to the state of the art ElMod. I use 90% Tamiya and 10% DBU. I am planing getting a Elmod for my Sturmtiger build from Mike and Joe since I want some trick sounds and features that Tamiya will not support.

This hobby is expanding fast. It's gonna be hell of a ride.....[:-]
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Green Amphibian

I stand corrected. I apologize for my woefully incorrect answer to your question. Learned something new today!

Herman
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Green Amphibian

I stand corrected. I apologize for my woefully incorrect answer to your question. Learned something new today!

Herman
Aw come'on Herman.... it wasn't THAT bad. [&o]
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Green Amphibian

You have to remember that the only HL that I have are gutted parts from other sources that I configure into something that I want to have. Parts is Parts, don't ya know!

Herman
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 AM
siam

Note:

Hello jlee104,
Heng Long M26 suspension is not correct....while Heng Long Panther G is comparatively correct.
Please take a close look at photos below.
From the photos you'll see that the real M26 has no struts at the 3rd and 4th road wheel but HL M26 has...and the other wheel struts are not quite correct.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92136.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1815537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72849.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1815538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96463.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.4 KB