Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/16 R/C Russian Heavy Tank JS-2 Model 1944 ChKZ Full-Option Kit

i'm actually thinking of selling my 2 Henglongs and get this one...that will be a hell of a tank!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It will be an allied favorite to battle the K.T and Tigers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes indeed a tiger killing machine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Regarding sounds both the kv-1 and is-2 had v-2 diesel engines so that element should be similar. I think the gun sound will be different but I can live if the sounds are from the kv-1

ORIGINAL: wsn123

ORIGINAL: karel47

yes with plastic - metalbar tracks, they are quite good of quality the panther, pershing, sherman and kv tracks ... no need for direct exchange to metal ones ...

a lot of better then the chinese craptracks they sell with their chinese tanks

i think the JS 2 will also have descent quality plastic tracks

Thanks for reply - You are right, Im also using plastic tracks in my Tamiya KT
    So now Im waiting for official demo of IS-2 engine sound.....
    Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

Regarding sounds both the kv-1 and is-2 had v-2 diesel engines so that element should be similar. I think the gun sound will be different but I can live if the sounds are from the kv-1

ORIGINAL: karel47

yes with plastic - metalbar tracks, they are quite good of quality the panther, pershing, sherman and kv tracks ... no need for direct exchange to metal ones ...

a lot of better then the chinese craptracks they sell with their chinese tanks

i think the JS 2 will also have descent quality plastic tracks

Thanks for reply - You are right, Im also using plastic tracks in my Tamiya KT
    So now Im waiting for official demo of IS-2 engine sound.....
    I agree with you tomhugill the KV's sound great so if it sounds like them thats fine by me .......

Ken
    http://northbrisbanerctankclub.weebly.com/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzhRWOPCWiTfjNJ6hRIAyiA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

anyone knows how much ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, maybe a little similair. Im not a tank expert but IS-2 had probably V-2 "IS" version , KV-1, "K" version (some KV-1 tanks had also M17T, M17F engines) T34 also had another V-2 version but sounding different. In addition not only engine type decide about sound generated by real tank, but many other factors like exhaust type or tank body accoustics... I dont know for example what type of real engine is recorded in Tamiya KV-1 RC tank (V2 or M17 ?) ....

Of course I can live too with it , but for me its not sense to release 4-5 years old electronics and engine sound in new pack only (and describe it as MF-07). I dont knowwhat is Tamiya attitude? . For example I have already one KV-1 Tamiya sound unit in my KV-85, the second another type tank with the same engine sound will be undesirable for me.

some videos with IS-2 engine (poor sound quality) - Polish Tank Museum in Poznan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtJDcVMbfow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7mmQZ6hx4

IS-2 tank repairing - Polish Tank Museum in Poznan
    http://muzeumbronipancernej.pl/pl/re...au-silnikowego

virtually visiting Tank Museum in Poznan
    http://wirtualne.muzeumbronipancernej.pl/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could say the same about the tiger, king tiger and panther........ I think we need to reserve critisim (for iinternal stuff like this at least) till we get our hands on one.
    Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could say the same about the tiger, king tiger and panther........ I think we need to reserve critisim (for iinternal stuff like this at least) till we get our hands on one.
    Of course You are right, As I mentioned previously , we should wait for official Tamiya presentation. This criticism its only my personal opinion. However now we have 2012, and some progress in electronics during that period was done - FO Tiger was probably released in 2000 ? Personally I would buy IS-2 with any sound unit inside - in the end we have also Benedini or other good sound units on the market ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could say the same about the tiger, king tiger and panther........ I think we need to reserve critisim (for iinternal stuff like this at least) till we get our hands on one.Β*
    Of course You are right, As I mentioned previously , we should wait for official Tamiya presentation. This criticism Β*its only my personal opinion. However Β*now we have 2012, and some progress in electronics during that period was doneΒ* -Β* FO Tiger was probably released in 2000 ? Β*Personally I would buy IS-2 with any sound unit inside - in the end we have also Β*Benedini or other good sound units on the market ...

Personally, I am not on board with the total Benedini sound system.

I like what Tamiya offers without all the extra sounds and gadgets that make it sound 'toyish'. The reloading sounds (with shells dropping) and voiced commands are needless.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A also like Tamiya sounds - especially Leopard 2A6 and KV-1 sounds . For me Leopard 2A6 has the best engine sound in all Tamiya tanks - especially ad higher tank speeds . Tamiya have very good quality and very clear sound samples (digitally recorded?) but in earlier tanks, engine running samples for subsequent speed steps are very often too short - and sounds not quite natural (a little "toyish") - and engine sound is not properly fited to tank speed with original Tamiya gearbox - for example in Tamiya KT or Pershing. In KT I use Schumo ZUH19 gear downgrade kit . Impact gearboxes are another possible option to reduce tank speed.

Mentioned above „additional sounds” like „commander voice” in Benedini sound unit are not obligatory - if they are not desired , could be very simply remove from sound project by user or may not be activated at all. I have some experience with Benedini TBS Mini only - I dont know how it is in standard Bedenini sound unit . Of course Benedini is not ideal too - have only one modulated running tank (M4) sound sample but it is easy to modify existing or create new own tank sound with very good qulity – because not meany engine samples are needed – for full engine sound only six : „M1... M6” .Samples „Sound 1... Sound 16” are used for special sounds like MG or gun fire, shells dropping etc – but they are optional – can be activated or deactivated according to user preferences - see attachment.
    Sound quality strongly depends on quality of external amplifier and size and type of speaker – visaton 8 Ohm (obligatory in box! - like XXL size) are good for 1/16 tanks.

Other possible option is more sophisticated sound unit from Model Solutions. But in this unit more engine sound samples are recomended. Maybe somebody have experience with it and can tell more ? ... or maybe other good sound units are on the market and could be also recomended?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu62316.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	1824924  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was reading about the JS-2 on the internet.  The article stated that the 122 mm gun used two piece amunition and had a firing rate of two rounds per minute.  This may not be the Tiger killer that some people expect if Tamiya uses the historical data to set up the tank for battle.  jot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also read that it was the most powerful gun in WWII.

That's all I need to know.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah...reload time was terrible with that gun...but if he hits you...you're gone...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sure during a battle, one was in the breech and two were off to the side.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Panther F

You could say the same about the tiger, king tiger and panther........ I think we need to reserve critisim (for iinternal stuff like this at least) till we get our hands on one.Β*
    Of course You are right, As I mentioned previously , we should wait for official Tamiya presentation. This criticism Β*its only my personal opinion. However Β*now we have 2012, and some progress in electronics during that period was doneΒ* -Β* FO Tiger was probably released in 2000 ? Β*Personally I would buy IS-2 with any sound unit inside - in the end we have also Β*Benedini or other good sound units on the market ...

Personally, I am not on board with the total Benedini sound system.

I like what Tamiya offers without all the extra sounds and gadgets that make it sound 'toyish'. The reloading sounds (with shells dropping) and voiced commands are needless.

~ Jeff

??? Then don't have them in there. I agree with you completely. For my own use I edit the sound file to eliminate all the reloading and breech sounds. As WSN has stated, the Benedini is programmable, and as the end user you can put in any sounds you want. It has been my experience that the Benedini sound architecture is well thought out and more importanty easy to make sound good by the end user. If you wanted to you could have a Benedini produce sound identical to Tamiya. In most case though you have the ability to make it sound better, so most people choose that avenue.

In additon you can use the same Benedini card in any RC vehicle from and F1 Ferrari to a Sopwith Camel. The TBS mini was designed to be used in electric flight aircraft. Just more of the versitility available to RC hobbyists.

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also read that it was the most powerful gun in WWII.

That's all I need to know.

~ Jeff
    Jeff, the german 128mm in the jadgtiger was the best tank killinggunof ww2 imo...the 122mm was more of a bunker buster, I have always thought of the IS2 as a kinda strumtiger.
    That which does not destroy me just makes me more irritable

Why not just skip the 128 and go straight up to 152?

To use the famous ETOBob's line "METHINKS" you all might want to read or re-read the excellent book "Tigers in the Mud", Otto Carius on the Eastern Front, 1942-1944 by Mike Haught.

You will gain a better handle on Mr Carius' experienced opinions learned from commanding Jagdtigers in battle.

FYI: "[/i]In August 1944, Carius was transferred to the newly created 512thHeavy Tank-hunter Battalion where he received the command of the 2nd company newly equipped with the powerful new Jagdtigers. This 72-ton tank hunter was armed with a 128mm Pak44 L/55 gun. Despite its size and powerful gun, Carius hated it. He didn’t like that it was exteremely slow, had poor manoeuvrability, and used a weak transmission. Since it was an assault gun, Carius also lamented the loss of a turret. Overall, Carius was not impressed."

Yes, the JS-2 was mostly used as a spearhead tank working with attacking Soviet infantry (after all the Soviets were on the offensive (LOL), but the JS-2 was still capable of destroying any WWII German AFV it confronted right up to the end of the war.

And the German Jagdtiger was built in response to the JS-2 at Kursk and or in anticipation of newer, improved and more powerful Soviet armored foes, so the two tanks are a generation apart.

The best news is that the new Tamiya JS-2 kit with a TBU and play fighting in the backyard or at tank club fight is a geat "heavy foe" when pitted against my Tiger II plus all the other Tiger variants out there.

The Panthers and Pz's already in play will run scared in slug feast!

And the JS-2 will run rings around the painfully scale slow Jagdtigers and [/i]Elfants[/i].

Enjoy![/i]

[/i]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Me thinks you need to read what the man actually put. No reference to the combat effectiveness of the jagdtiger, just it's gun...which I think was used as an atg (correct me if I'm wrong).

ill have to agree with you on elefants in ir battles, I don't run mine IFA and its always out manoeuvred and because of the slu takes hits painfully easily....
    ORIGINAL: rcleo

To use the famous ETOBob's line "METHINKS" you all might want to read or re-read the excellent book "Tigers in the Mud", Otto Carius on the Eastern Front, 1942-1944 by Mike Haught.

You will gain a better handle on Mr Carius' experienced opinions learned from commanding Jagdtigers in battle.

FYI: "[/i]In August 1944, Carius was transferred to the newly created 512thHeavy Tank-hunter Battalion where he received the command of the 2nd company newly equipped with the powerful new Jagdtigers. This 72-ton tank hunter was armed with a 128mm Pak44 L/55 gun. Despite its size and powerful gun, Carius hated it. He didn’t like that it was exteremely slow, had poor manoeuvrability, and used a weak transmission. Since it was an assault gun, Carius also lamented the loss of a turret. Overall, Carius was not impressed."

Yes, the JS-2 was mostly used as a spearhead tank working with attacking Soviet infantry (after all the Soviets were on the offensive (LOL), but the JS-2 was still capable of destroying any WWII German AFV it confronted right up to the end of the war.

And the German Jagdtiger was built in response to the JS-2 at Kursk and or in anticipation of newer, improved and more powerful Soviet armored foes, so the two tanks are a generation apart.

The best news is that the new Tamiya JS-2 kit with a TBU and play fighting in the backyard or at tank club fight is a geat "heavy foe" when pitted against my Tiger II plus all the other Tiger variants out there.

The Panthers and Pz's already in play will run scared in slug feast!

And the JS-2 will run rings around the painfully scale slow Jagdtigers and [/i]Elfants[/i].

Enjoy![/i]

[/i]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh well, I'm still going to try to squeeze this one into the Mission Room without my better half finding out. I have so many boxes and unbuilt kits she'll never know... unless the UPS truck gives me away.

Maybe, yeah... maybe I'll have it sent to my buddy's repair garage and then get it from him! [X(] With this and the Shermans it will be finally, a great Christmas for me.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Darn it why didn't I think of that! Would have made getting the new panther f/ panther 2 in more easy!

Oh well, I'm still going to try to squeeze this one into the Mission Room without my better half finding out. I have so many boxes and unbuilt kits she'll never know... unless the UPS truck gives me away.

Maybe, yeah... maybe I'll have it sent to my buddy's repair garage and then get it from him! [X(] With this and the Shermans it will be finally, a great Christmas for me.

~ Jeff

Me thinks you need to read what the man actually put. No reference to the combat effectiveness of the jagdtiger, just it's gun...which I think was used as an atg

(correct me if I'm wrong).

OK tomhugill, easily done: "the german 128mm in the jadgtiger was the best tank killinggunof ww2", not according to Otto Carius.

Can't really separate the chassis from the gun, into a "best category", they both work together as a system.

A powerful gun is useless if it can not get to and or stay in the fight.

And the post also addresses this statement, which appears to be designed to short change the effectiveness of the WWII JS-2, which played a bigger role than kinda a strumtiger:

"the 122mm was more of a bunker buster, I have always thought of the IS2 as a kinda strumtiger"

Past the historical WWII stuff, my interest is TBUplay and the JS-2 works for me, it looks good in ways the KV-1 doesn't, so I will save for the kit.

Enjoy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Under TBU play the tank that the battle system rides in hardly matters at all - I could set my Sherman 105mm to Heavy and go toe to toe with a King Tiger or JS-2. All that matters is that it has a TBU with an IR emitter, hence registering and giving IR hits. All that stuff about two-part ammunition is going toward an onerous realism that takes fun away, rather than add fun to IR combat.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: no12skyline

Under TBU play the tank that the battle system rides in hardly matters at all - I could set my Sherman 105mm to Heavy and go toe to toe with a King Tiger or JS-2. All that matters is that it has a TBU with an IR emitter, hence registering and giving IR hits. All that stuff about two-part ammunition is going toward an onerous realism that takes fun away, rather than add fun to IR combat.

Yeah, the patton commander disease IS contagious for sure.

In the beginning, no one really thought about realism when a 105 Sherman would stand toe-to-toe with a Tiger... of any version.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast