Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/16 R/C Russian Heavy Tank JS-2 Model 1944 ChKZ Full-Option Kit

ORIGINAL: sollie

Those molds must be expensive....
    +1.
    ...recently, a day ago, I was invited by the owner and visited famous "Zvezda" modelling plant...

Well after I have seem the whole process of constuction, development and production processes - when the form is going out from the mold - I can say that probably Tamiya guys could ask such a price for their product in 1:16th... (especially for FOK)...

I cannot afford it either at the moment but still I understand them... + the sound is left from KV kits... this was the answer from Tamiya on my request.

Somebody could say (I was also thinking about a different option for JS-2) that the sound should be different,but - not really... T-34, KV-family, IS-family used the engine of the same engine-tribe (as our investigation discovers) - V-2.From our perspective (ioho), Tamiya is correct having left the sound of KV.

www.ircto.org

International Remote Control Tanks Organization

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You almost have three Tamiya Sherman's at that price. I am a little shocked but at the same time it is great that Tamiya is bring out another 1/16 R/C tank.
    Tamiya Tiger I, Tiger II, Panther G, 3 HL Stug III G, 1 HL Panzer III M, 1 HL Jagdpanzer IV L/70, 1 R/C Armory 1/8 Tiger II

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HAL_HUSKER

Somebody could say (I was also thinking about a different option for JS-2) that the sound should be different,but - not really... T-34, KV-family, IS-family used the engine of the same engine-tribe (as our investigation discovers) - V-2.From our perspective (ioho), Tamiya is correct having left the sound of KV.
    Yes they were from similair engine -tribe. But not only engine type decide about sound generated by real tank, but many other factors like exhaust type or tank body accoustics...

some videos with IS-2 engine (sorry but poor sound quality) - Polish Tank Museum in Poznan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtJDcVMbfow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7mmQZ6hx4

The Tamiya KV-1 sounding quite different

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As much as I wanted to buy this tank, the fact that I could buy a 1/6 scale Vanntex Sherman for the same price has me really stuggling to justify the expense.

Mato is coming out with some nice metal tanks that are lower cost then this. The PZIII is a great tank, and the stug(which I am waiting on) will be equally good.

The fact that retailers will not be stocking scores of these will probably keep the unit sought after at this price, but it won't be me looking for it[].

That is too bad. I was hopeful it would be more in range with their current tanks. I guess we will have to wait on some reviews. If it is rock solid and needs no upgrades, then maybe, but if I guy has to start adding Darryl Turner this and Darryl Turner that to it, the price will get even higher. Throw in some upgraded TUs and motors and ouch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here here. It is a shame, I contemplated getting this, figuring like you said Dan if it was around the same as say their KV. But yeah my wife would throw a hissy fit and I don't want that...... It's not pretty.

Cheers
    Wade
    N.E.A.D Member
    All my tanks are in the project stage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lets not mince words here guys...bottom line that price is absolutely rediculous! For gods sake I could have3 or4 HL's/Taigens fully modded and decked out,as well as beingbattle ready for that price. Rathersurprising, especially when its a tank nobody really gives a s#$t about(or shall I say that it's just very low on the priority list...its a neat tank no doubt)....I got an idea Tamiya...how about a T-34(76) or maybe something British(like a Comet), maybe then we'd all be crazy enough to pay that kind of money...Typical Tamiya...great engineeringbutterrible market research..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AAf museum is taking pre-orders for $1,010.00. Doesn't include shipping. Yup, a little pricey even for tamiya, and like YHR said, that's not the end of it. Haven't met a tank yet that doesn't
    need at the least bearings, gearbox brace, metal elevation arm, motors, and gear reduction.
    AAF # 111284-25
    A.C.E. member

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TheBennyB

AAf museum is taking pre-orders for $1,010.00. Doesn't include shipping. Yup, a little pricey even for tamiya, and like YHR said, that's not the end of it. Haven't met a tank yet that doesn't
    need at the least bearings, gearbox brace, metal elevation arm, motors, and gear reduction.
    Funny my tam panther has run stock for years without issue...........

Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Everyone stop your crying about the price. You were informed not too long ago that there would be a price increase, and with this being a NEW release it's not that much more.

Some need to quit asking for things because when they appear, there's all this sorrow.

So becareful what you ask for. You might just get it. [X(]

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

Not saying it run out of the box great, but it needs those mods if your doing some serious operating, like 3 day long battle weekends in Danville, and yup just my opinion.

AAF # 111284-25
    A.C.E. member

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe in the expression, "you get what you pay for", so I am faithfully ordering one of these new Tamiya kits.  I knew it was going to be expensive, so at the last event I sold my Asiatam Japanese light tank to Richard. 

I plan to run the JS-2 completely stock at the March Danville event, so I will post an after-action report on how it runs for you all here.  Frankly, my only concern is that I'll knock down trees with that long-ass gun barrel!

Mr Dana Lowell
    CO: H*E*A*T
    Scale armor: 1969-
    Member #1814 in MVPA: 1977-
    Volunteer at AAF Tank Museum: 2003-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At-ta boy!

You certainly get what you pay for, and considering the alternative.

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

... and people thought the Leo 2A6 was expensive,

At that price point, it may be justifiable to finally move into 8th scale for just a couple coppers more
    Cheers
    Eric Scott
    www.SEAD.us

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mr. Lowell, I am afraid we have already seen your handy work with a gun barrel, not sure if it is "long-ass", but it was hitting trees on the Danville Battlefield!!! Scary thing to behold??? No pun intended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec87887.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1843643  
    Tamiya Tiger I, Tiger II, Panther G, 3 HL Stug III G, 1 HL Panzer III M, 1 HL Jagdpanzer IV L/70, 1 R/C Armory 1/8 Tiger II

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would probably say that's more due to the rather unrealistic way tanks are driven at such events, the terrain it's self doesnt look too challenging.

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

Not saying it run out of the box great, but it needs those mods if your doing some serious operating, like 3 day long battle weekends in Danville, and yup just my opinion.

Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll still be getting the JS-2, but I'll wait a couple months after it's release to see if the price comes down to the KV-1/2 range.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I added this on another post of mine......I agree you get what you pay for, "BUT" and we won't know until its released but will the JS be twice as good as the tiger? And something I have been thinking, does the JS use the same chassis as the KV? If it does wouldn't it be possible to buy a KV and buy the JS upper hull and turret sort of like using the panther and using the Jagd upper hull.

Cheers,
    Wade
    N.E.A.D Member

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, is all I can say...
    I'm sticking with my HL Modded tanks. That's so much of the fun (for me) is trying to design and build better than what you can buy. It started, cause I couldn't buy what I wanted and still keep my wife. With my boy, we are thinking about our next build being a T30. I've got most of it figured out except for the track extensions that it would have to have to look right.
    Still thinking about the 3D printer for tracks...
    tjs
    King Tiger, KV-1, Tiger 1, Pershing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's not for everyone I mean, you DO need to put food on the table, clothes on the kids and there's the mortgage payment.

Hobbies are liquid money and with what I have so far, this will compliment them quite nicely.

It may be a few months but I'll get it soon. It's only 225 more than the next "newest" WW II tank kit. I don't believe when you're spending that kind of money that it's a deal breaker... especially since we were forewarned.

~ Jeff

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just checked, the 1/16 JS-2 1944 ChKZ Full Operation RC Set byTamiya at Hobby Link Japan is listed at USD $1,050.40 plus shipping and includes a radio system:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM56034

It figures the kit price will be a little less and closer to the norm if delivered to the USA without the radio system included, which has been the norm. Tamiya USA shows no price as of today, remember the web site MSRP has never meant anything over the last 8 or so years:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=56035

Have to wait and see anyway, still have months of work left on a Leo 2 and my Gepard.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will wait to hear the review, before I commit. The list price is ludicrous, but the AAF price is only a couple hundred more then what we are used to paying for a Tamiya, so I am not ruling out getting one

I am now thinking a KV1 with the KV85 turret to get something that looks close at 1/2 the price.

I kind of am with Todd on this. I enjoy the heck out of modding the cheaper Tanks that present an engineering challenge.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Who said this forum is dead (and BIGMIG doesn't count) with over 12 thousand views and 220 replies, this is just what the hobby needed!

~ Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

good point
    N.E.A.D Member

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wsn123

ORIGINAL: HAL_HUSKER

Yes they were from similair engine -tribe. But not only engine type decide about sound generated by real tank, but many other factors like exhaust type or tank body accoustics...

some videos with IS-2 engine (sorry but poor sound quality) - Polish Tank Museum in Poznan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtJDcVMbfow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7mmQZ6hx4

The Tamiya KV-1 sounding quite different

Nice video!

TK20 web page: http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx20/index.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They should offer static models for all their models! Why only for certain tanks!! Half ***** and greedy! For $1010 I would rather buy a LEO for that price...but even then I don't have a Leo. I'm glad the modern tanks are starting to roll out. I just want to give my regards to everyone that's heart broken. I'm sure for people that have the cash to burn will get them anyway. And more power to you! If I had the cash to burn I would even go to a bigger scale. But with that said I thank the companies that are making the hobby more accessible for all their customer. They also raised the bar in term of quality. Still room for improved but things seem to be moving in the right directions. Tanks are like tattoos...once you get one, sooner or later you get another.
    Chun-wai M1A2, Tamiya Tiger 1, HL Pz3, HL Pershing, Hooben T-55, Tam Leo 1. Vs T-72, Vs M1A2.

The Real Heavy Metal.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast