Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

AAF Tank Museum & Taigen Tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

AAF Tank Museum & Taigen Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AAF Tank Museum & Taigen Tanks

ORIGINAL: YHR

timed runs over 20 ft?

A quick answer;

11 seconds for 20 ft. w/the smallest drive gear.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok thanks, That basically nails down the slowest speed. Is that using the motors that come with the gear boxes?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I also would like to know how those perform, as I am planning a set for my Mato Sherman, they certainly look nice......not that, that matters. Almost need two sets, one for the tank and one to display on a shelf.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Glen B

A quick answer;

11 seconds for 20 ft. w/the smallest drive gear.
Using Jim's RCtank speed calculator webpage (here), your distance/timing places your Tiger I 1/16 scale speed around 20mph, or 32kph using the smallest pinion gear.

The speed Jim has listed on his page for a Tiger I on roads is 38kph, with about 10-20kph over cross-country terrain.

The 38kph top speed for the Tiger I that Jim's tank scale speed webpage lists seems to mirror what Wikipedia has listed for a Tiger I too, so I have to assume that it is an acceptable top speed. Though I think everyone agrees, that once these heavy beasts went off road in the typical terrain they were maneuvering around & fighting on, their speed was greatly reduced, so the 10-20kph over various cross-country terrain is probably also reasonable speed guides to try to achieve at scale too.

It would depend on how you went about testing the speed, whether you timed the tank on fairly flat & smooth ground, or on grass or some rougher terrain to get that particular timing, to judge the speed for scale accuracy.

If you did the testing on some good "road-like" terrain, then the speed is about 6kph slow for a Tiger I according to what's listed, so I'm just wondering if the included middle pinion gear would mimic actual Tiger I scale top speed more accurately if it sped you up closer to the 38kph scale speeds on a good surface. That would mean clipping off a whopping 2 seconds from your current time at the 20ft distance!

The only thing I'll wonder about if it does get your tank closer to the 38kph scale speed mark, is that even though your top speed on a good surface may become more accurate to scale, having less torque with the slightly larger pinion will also affect the the speed on rough terrain, & possibly enough so that it would be even slower than the expected 10-20kph scale speed it should get when traveling over cross-country terrain.

So Glen, have you tried the middle or largest pinion gears at all, & do any testing of the speed timing on different terrain too to see if any of the pinions have the ability to be even closer to both the road & cross-country expected speeds for a Tiger I that are listed on those sites?

I get it if you haven't done a lot more testing since the speed seems to be very close, because many people won't care too much if their tanks are spot on with their scale speeds, & anything within 5-10mph difference might be considered close enough, so they won't bother trying to dial them in closer even if it was possible. But in this never ending search for realism, the Waltersons kit with 3 pinions is a pretty cool marketing idea, because it could provide a good opportunity to see just how close we might be able to get our RC tanks to truer scale speeds through just pinion swaps & testing them against the actual tank's known speeds under the different driving situations.

I have the Waltersons in both my KV-1 & Panther G HL tanks, & I'll be doing this same kind of testing, both on good flat road-like surfaces, & again in rougher off-road terrain, & will try to dial in the scale speeds as close as I can to their know tank speeds. It may take a motor swap along with the correct pinion to achieve this, but I think I will be prepared since I also have Promax 400 & Promax 480 motors that I can also swap in & out for the testing! I just hope that one pinion, with which ever motor I eventually have installed in each tank, can be able to provide enough top speed to be spot on or close to spot on for each tank, as well as provide a close scale speed when running off-road too, all the while still maintaining enough torque off-road to maneuver well & not become a pillbox after taking a couple hits.

If it's not possible to have both scenarios spot on or close to spot on at the same time, then I think it's obviously more important that the tank run well off-road with enough torque for typical battle scenarios, then it having more accurate scale speeds while on good surfaces.

By the way, your tank looks excellent Glen!!! I hope you have good luck with it & many happy years of use!

~ Craig ~
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE on my Taigen Tiger I (Late) from the AAF purchase.

First picture is the "before".

The rest are the "after", it now has;

- SLU Conversion to IR
- Waltersons Gearboxes with Promax 400's
- Tactic Receiver for my Tactic TTX404 hobby radio (no external antenna)
- HL Upgrade Flash (this one is no longer airsoft)
- Metal Tetra Fire Extinguisher
- Taigen Brass Laser Cut Grills

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76454.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1852728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79189.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1852729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58611.jpg