Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Acoustic smoker in H.L. Pershing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Acoustic smoker in H.L. Pershing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:32 PM
strmnd54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acoustic smoker in H.L. Pershing

This is in the wake of the idea I had last week, about using the backpressure of a speaker as a pumping system for a smoke unit...

<o></o>

It's one thing to test an idea on a bench; but making it work in a model is another ball game...

http://youtu.be/bQeaXl-PzUE

Nevertheless, I succeeded in mounting a small (but powerful) taigen speaker between the gearboxes of my H.L. Pershing; and couple it with the smoke chamber of a modified H.L. smoke unit.

<o></o>

Since the idea came to me while I was working on a modification to boost the audio output of my tank; I blended both smoke and sound together…

<o></o>

The audio modification is based on a 2 X 15 Watts Stereo Amplifier that I bought on E-Bay. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TDA7297F-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-15W-15W-Dual-Channel-Amplifier-DC-12V-Powered-/281005817053?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&h ash=item416d407cdd&autorefresh=true#ht_3567wt_954

<o></o>

<o></o>

My original plan was to use only one channel to drive a taigen speaker mounted in the front of my tank.

I also connected my two batteries ( 5000 Mah NiMH) in serial; to get around 15 Volts to the Amp.

<o></o>

For the new modification, I’m using the 2 channels to power 2 speakers…

Each channel has it’s own volume control; so I can set the volume of the rear speaker to get the level of smoke that I desire; and use the front speaker as a master for the overall sound level…

<o></o>

Here’s a static video of the system…

youtu.be/bQeaXl-PzUE
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM
FreakyDude

Default RE: Acoustic smoker in H.L. Pershing

strmnd
I am using your idea on my KT I am building. So far ai built a box for a visaton speaker, The box is not really a box though as I built the chamber inside to increase the back pressure and hopefully deflect it to the back of the box, then I am allowing it to go into a smaller chamber as I am hoping this will increase the pressure and allow me to get away with not using an amp. The smaller chamber then goes into the chamber holding the smoke oil. It works ok with a standard HL wick so if I change this and increase the smoke production I am thinking your idea is going to be bang on.
If nothing else it has added a viable way to dump that noisy little air pump. As I get closer to fixing my issues I'll send you some pics.
I'll control the on/off through programming the radio.
ORIGINAL: strmnd54

This is in the wake of the idea I had last week, about using the backpressure of a speaker as a pumping system for a smoke unit...

<o></o>

It's one thing to test an idea on a bench; but making it work in a model is another ball game...

http://youtu.be/bQeaXl-PzUE

Nevertheless, I succeeded in mounting a small (but powerful) taigen speaker between the gearboxes of my H.L. Pershing; and couple it with the smoke chamber of a modified H.L. smoke unit.

<o></o>

Since the idea came to me while I was working on a modification to boost the audio output of my tank; I blended both smoke and sound together…

<o></o>

The audio modification is based on a 2 X 15 Watts Stereo Amplifier that I bought on E-Bay. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TDA7297F-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-15W-15W-Dual-Channel-Amplifier-DC-12V-Powered-/281005817053?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&h ash=item416d407cdd&autorefresh=true#ht_3567wt_954

<o></o>

<o></o>

My original plan was to use only one channel to drive a taigen speaker mounted in the front of my tank.

I also connected my two batteries ( 5000 Mah NiMH) in serial; to get around 15 Volts to the Amp.

<o></o>

For the new modification, I’m using the 2 channels to power 2 speakers…

Each channel has it’s own volume control; so I can set the volume of the rear speaker to get the level of smoke that I desire; and use the front speaker as a master for the overall sound level…

<o></o>

Here’s a static video of the system…

youtu.be/bQeaXl-PzUE
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
strmnd54

Here's an update on the acoustic smoker in my Pershing...
As for now, I'm running an RX-18 with a home-made analog sound module; coupled to an audio amp. and 2 taigen speakers...

I'm in the process of upgrading to 2.4 Gz with a TK-22/Benedini combo with the same audio set-up....
Matching the sound of the Benedini with the smoke unit should be interesting....

youtu.be/PmrM2AvrTzo
Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are the undisputed King of Smoke in my eyes.

Always inventive, it's a great idea. The only concern I would have would be moisture build up on the speaker paper. In my limited experiences with the resistor/oil smoker, it produces a good amount of condensation.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM
strmnd54

I don't think this is gonna be a major problem, since I left an air gap between the pipes connecting the smoker and the speaker...
I never saw any smoke escaping throught that gap; which leds me to beleive that the speaker isn't sucking much smoke...
In any case, the speaker is mounted on its side , facing the rear; and it will be easy to make a drain in the bottom of the enclosure; using a small pipe and a wick...
Here's a few pics of the lay-out....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72934.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1875480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17887.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1875481