Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Look out for those fake x-mas trees!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Look out for those fake x-mas trees!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Look out for those fake x-mas trees!

If you like having a little green in your battle field,fake x-mas trees are the cheepest ticket if people are throwing them out....found 2 of these today. When you cut off the branches, you can get as many as 40 "trees" out of one tree........here is what I gout out of one...

Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Look out for those fake x-mas trees!

They work very nicely.

We use a lot of them at the Can Am field, here's just a small grouping;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46755.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	1837598  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
TheBennyB

Yup, Tony grabbed a NIB whole fake tree from a house he was working at. The people changed their minds and wanted a real tree so Tony hopped on it. Probably get something
like 40 trees out of it.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
thecommander

I got two types of trees from Michaels Craft store for about a buck each. I haven't gone there yet this week, but I belive they clearance them after every Christmas.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
streetsquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We too here at DAK hit the Michaels and Hobby Lobby after every X-Mas, make the manager an offer on the bulk of trees, they usually look at you a lil funny, but are happy to get rid of them.

I bought over 50 trees for $0.50 each a couple of years ago. And that same year DAK co-founder and CO Ethan (Edoubleaz) bought an entire sidewalk clearance bin full of trees for like $45 bucks. Bottom line was we ended up with nealry a hundered trees for out battlefield for well under $100 bucks!

happy hopping!

Streetsquid
Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: streetsquid

We too here at DAK hit the Michaels and Hobby Lobby after every X-Mas, make the manager an offer on the bulk of trees, they usually look at you a lil funny, but are happy to get rid of them.

I bought over 50 trees for $0.50 each a couple of years ago. And that same year DAK co-founder and CO Ethan (Edoubleaz) bought an entire sidewalk clearance bin full of trees for like $45 bucks. Bottom line was we ended up with nealry a hundered trees for out battlefield for well under $100 bucks!

happy hopping!

Streetsquid
OMG.....why did you tell me this? Are you trying to get me into divorce court. Hmmmmm??? Where can I hide a palet of trees?

My store only had a few dozen last year.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Too bad there isn't a clearance on buildings too.

But trees... never enough trees in a battlefield.

~ Jeff
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
streetsquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panther F,
If you play your cards right, it is on buildings too.

Each week Hobby Lobby has a printable 40% off coupon on their website, Michael's also does this but just periodically, not every week. Both places have simple beginner doll house kits starting around the $50 range. Using one of those coupons you can score a lasercut doll house kit for your battlefield for $25-$35 bucks. The kits arent huge or flashy but serve well as a battfield element to hide behind.

Even if you just used the components out of the kit and scratchbuilt your own building design, the kits include doors, windows, printed mylar window glazing, shutters, pre-cut wooden shingles, window flower boxes, decorative trim and scalloping. If you build the outside walls of you buildings from sheetrock, it mimmics concrete and stucco quite well and is easy to work with and cuts with a utility knife

To buy those architectual trim items separately at the Doll house supply store would cost you 3 times what you'll pay as a kit when you use the coupon.

Just my 2 cents!
Squid
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I've seen those "prices" but never thought to look where you suggested. Good for others to know and maybe later on I might get one or two if I ever get to battle again.

I did build (never finished) a bunker out of blue constructors Styrofoam, but never got to use it as I had to stop battling right after.

~ Jeff
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I had several of the small tabletop trees outside all year and they hold up pretty well. Although the last few they have been indoors Iguess after several years of wear & tear they will deteriorate. Ifound mixing different sizes looks great, for example 12", 16" & 18" heights. If the stores still have them out now is the time to buy, two years ago a store had some 16" for $1.50 each after season & they were "thick" not the flimsy type.