Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Waltersons 105 Full Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Waltersons 105 Full Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 AM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waltersons 105 Full Review

First off I will mod this post, comments are encouraged but keep it on this particular tank subject. Although obviuosly this is made by HL it is a Waltersons branded product which means the HL may not have waht this tank has.
First off the tanks I have are plain basic Shermans, they drive nice and track well they move over things as expected and the suspension moves well enough to see tha action. Later today I will post some short videos.
Now for the cool stuff. I have only briefly had the tank open and running around but I see a ton of places where this tank was upgraded from the normal HL kind of production.
Changes are
1. Multiple channel selection on the tank and on the controller ( See controller pic )
2. much cleaner mold, way more defined detail on welds nuts and bolts etc
3. Electronics ( See Pic Is this HL's new RX22?? )
4. Literature this will blow you all away as their is a complete parts list in the manual yeah they really have stepped it up on this front
5.wheels and suspension could be upgraded to metal because they are screwed on. from bottom to top the suspension independantly moves 1/2". Nice squeak sound from the return rollers as well.

In general this is a vastly improved product over anything I have seen HL make. The Panther g being about as close as it gets to this.
ok so on to the pictures and review.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96382.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1832562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72278.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1832563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23772.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1832564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96757.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1832565  
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM
FreakyDude

Default RE: Waltersons 105 Full Review

more pics

Name:	Fd90576.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1832566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79421.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1832567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19697.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1832568  
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM
FreakyDude

more pics

Name:	Bz78614.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	1832569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65727.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1832570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73570.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1832571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84598.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1832572  
Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM
FreakyDude

I forgot to mention that when you go left or right or reverse the rear lights come on 
when you go forward the driving lights come on
The whine from the motors seems to be gone as well
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Warlord_Link

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

Is this a joke right?
That is TK-01 board the cheapest board from Heng long for non-smoke and sound version. This version I've never suggest to any customer because RX-18 is better.

Second, This version is Heng long version not walterson version. Walterson version is only Premium version.
The Heng long version that you get will sell by Heng long after new year and the price is much cheaper than from Waltersons.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 AM
tisaksen

Is that board the only one in the tank? No separate receiver board?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM
FreakyDude

it is, personally I have never seen this board in an HL before. Probably because I get S&S tanks only.

ORIGINAL: tisaksen

Is that board the only one in the tank? No separate receiver board?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what you got there Freaky, but the electronics look like the Old H L non smoke and sound. Does this have smoke and sound????
Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 PM
FreakyDude

Could be old boards, as I have stated I have not seen these boards before. The electronics are a moot point in this tank regardless, these tanks were bought for a purpose. The metal versions are on their way from a different order. I have a plan for these 4 tanks and possibly 4 more.
ORIGINAL: YHR

Not sure what you got there Freaky, but the electronics look like the Old H L non smoke and sound. Does this have smoke and sound????
Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM
YHR

So no smoke and sound then? I don't see a smoker anywhere so I guess I know the answer, but it is important to know that they are still making non smoke and sound tanks. I know what I would do if I had one of these, but I'll keep this to reviewing what you got there.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I'm not a HL expert but the tank overall looks good and I'll have one of these JUST as is. I LIKE the 105MM and now I'll have an M4 105 and a M4A3 105 as well. Plus, this tank will be the start of many more Shermans to be built/altered.

Thanks for taking the time to take all the pics for us, I appreciate it! I'm stoked!

~ Jeff
Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 PM
FreakyDude

Obviously someone needs to read my post. I said obviously these are made by Heng Long but I buy my Shermans from Waltersons so ergo they are Waltersons.
See the difference
Heng long on the left and Waltersons on the right ( See pics below ) I can clearly see a difference, can you?

Now for the board I have never seen this board before because as a rule I don't buy base version tanks of tanks, in addition the post regarding the board was a question??
As for the remark that the Heng Long version that I will get after the new year will be much cheaper is based on a hundred assumptions?? the first being how do you know what it is I will get? even if I get anything?
The HL version i would imagine would be cheaper than Waltersons but I do not do things on the cheap. I do things right.

ORIGINAL: Warlord_Link

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

Is this a joke right?
That is TK-01 board the cheapest board from Heng long for non-smoke and sound version. This version I've never suggest to any customer because RX-18 is better.

Second, This version is Heng long version not walterson version. Walterson version is only Premium version.
The Heng long version that you get will sell by Heng long after new year and the price is much cheaper than from Waltersons.

Name:	Cx74628.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1832606  
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Ronan87

Nice review, looks like a good solid base for a project

+1 on Curtis doing things right. Best customer service ever!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM
no12skyline

I prefer the vanilla versions for no reason other than the fact it hadn't be carelessly sprayed with a dark olive paint trail trying to pass of as weathering or camouflage.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Warlord_Link

There are many new people don't know about TK-01 but if I didn't post and they think is real new RX22? That would be misunderstand.

As seller you should know about Heng long more, when customers ask you will answer them only "We don't know we have never seen this board before" ,Like this?

Last thing, Are you sure that Henglong version will have difference as pictures you post? I won't say more than this but you should know Heng long more than this.

Regards,
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 PM
no12skyline

Cut the guy some slack, he's only just gotten these tanks unlike you in Asia and you're already ragging on him about inaccuracy? As far as I can see, there's several versions coming out from their factory and he only reviewed the version he had on hand. He did ask if that board was an RX22 because he couldn't recognise it.

The thing about hobbyist retailers is this. They may be wrong, their product may have faults, but they'll do their customers right. Just like Phil did.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

Thanks Freaky. Pictures look great. Can't wait to rip mine apart, Bring out the calipers, and get to work.

Bill
Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Warlord_Link

Well then, I'm so sorry for serious on you.

That's true about retailers. We always provide best service for tank lovers.

Regards,
Old 12-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: no12skyline

they'll do their customers right. Just like Phil did.
Yes, I can say from personal experience that this retailer goes out of his way to do this, and I will be purchasing more items from him.

He has recently set up this business and these the first of these particular tanks he has received, so at this point, I expect there will be a bit of a learning curve; IMHO (and experience) this is just a start up thing, in a short time, this will change and as I said, his integrity and willingness to please the customer are very high.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Panther F

Looking it over, this tank is perfect for "other" variants and it's basically 'perfect' just the way it is. For the novice... there's nothing wrong with it unlike the previous attempt at a Sherman A1 in the Mato brand. That tank was out of proportion, details were toy-like and other items were out of scale BUT... most people bought em' anyway because it was the best they could get. If one were to scale-down the Mato T23 turret (or use Nicks) it would be one variant to explore as on top of this new A3. Then, take the HL turret and place it on the Mato and with Nicks 75MM barrel and M34A1 mantlet you could have a big hatch 75MM A1.

I never look at a tanks electronics as unless it has Tamiya gear on board, most of it will be replaced as I have a Tamiya fleet I want to keep it all the same. There could be exceptions.

Bottom line, there's less to mess with on this new release but more possibilities too.

~ Jeff
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 AM
YHR

I would have prefered a small hatch to this. but this looks like a good base to work from. They did a good job on the front transmission cover and the sprockets extend past the housing, which was a major flaw on the Mato that needed to be reworked.

I really like the fact it is becoming more kit like. I hope the parts are available separately. Heng Long may discover they have as much demand for individual parts as they do the complete tank.

Those tracks gotta go though. I photoshopped what they are supposed to look like in red vs what the actual is in Yellow

I guess if you have to go with Tamiya, the Perhings electronics would be a good match for this tank

Name:	Qo40740.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1832732  
Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Panther F

I think for the novice, the tracks are okay as long as it runs okay over all surfaces. You know it will be taken outside and THAT'S the proving ground for it.

Once I get me hands on one that will be an issue I will undertake to see if it can be fixed by ME.

Or slap some Mato tracks on it.

~ Jeff
Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 AM
YHR

Agreed. As long as the thing runs true and the tracks stay on most people will be happy. It is probably only us Shermaholics who see things like the track details as large hard to live with inaccuracies.

I heard a rumor Heng long was fixing whatever issues they had with the tracks, so the nice thing is this could be easily swapped out later. After all the tracks do come off.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Panther F

YUP... other than that the tank is perfect.

~ Jeff
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks good and it will be a good base for a build and I like the fact you dont have to buy all the extra components just to rip them out and install a SLU.
I have a scrap bin full of smokers I dont need another.
I know what my next Tank buy will be. and upgrade to follow.
Thanks for the review.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.