Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM
streetsquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61

Hi all,
It's been quite a while since I last posted here, but then agian it been quite a while since I built any 1/16th scale armor. Some of you may remember me, and some of you may have chosen to forget me, but either way it's time for a new build and I thought I would see if anyone was remotely interested in what I have going on the bench.

For those of you who don't know me, I generally try to do comprehensive build threads that include lots and lots of in-progress pictures and are hopefully written in a logical and informative manner. My goal is not only to tell you what I did, but how I did it. To me the only value in sharing comes if someone else learns something new or can build on my initial ideas and techniques. My painting and weathering methods are almost all unopoligetically stolen from other modeler's who's knowledge and skillset far surpass mine.

I've had, oh I don't know 1 or 2 build threads here over the last few years, and I always try to learn or tackle something new with each projest I understake. A few of my threads ended up being a lil long in the tooth, but I'll try not to bore you with this one. My Tamiya Panzer was all about "redoing" an already built kit, the Sherman a few years back was all about superdetailing and scratchbuilding, My KT was an excercise in creating textures and realistic looking metal effects, the Hooben Elefant I did was straight outta the box and served as a platform to share a few painting and weathering techniques, and now to push myself a lil further in this hobby, I'm gonna do my first resin conversion.

Can't promise you'll like it, but if you're willing to stick with me to the end hopefully we can learn something together!

Thanks for tuning in!
Streetsquid (Craig)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 PM
streetsquid

Default RE: Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61

So let's start with the tank in question.

I have always been a BIG fan of German Armor and especially the heavies (I guess that's why I get to play the role of the head bad guy in DAK). But of all the German armor, the Sturm has always been one of, if not my favorite. IMHO That thing is so huge and menacing, it just looks bad _ss sitting still!

Well a few years ago Wecohe came out with their metal conversion set, I just couldn't bring myself to swing $2,000+ (USD) on an RC tank. Then I got real excited when Matorro first released their Sturmtiger. But alas I was very dissapointed in the plastic suspension as the DAK field wreaks havoc even on the toughest built, and i was no more impressed with the optional metal upgrades availabe. Plus they have become increasingly more difficult to find as of late, and the price was pretty high for something I was only going to use 20% of. So I decided the best approach was to use a Tamiya Tiger I as the base (torsion bar suspension) and Panzerrctank.de's resin conversion kit just arrived. Plus, a little while back a clubmate sold me the most amazing "steel wheel" upgrade I have seen, but more on that later.

So what we have here is a pretty simple and straight forward resin conversion. I'll use the stock Tamiya aluminum pan, lower hull, and tracks, aftermarket late style steel wheels with bearings, Tamiya T1 electronics with custom built traverse and elevation, and the panzerrctank.de resin casemate (fighting compartment), plus maybe a few scratchbuilt details just for fun.

Squid
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM
streetsquid

And just in case anyone wants to know a lil more about this beast................

During World War II, Germany produced a variety of specialized armored fighting vehicles, including Sturmpanzers-assault tanks. They were to be used as heavy infantry support vehicles in urban street warfare against buildings and in operations against heavily fortified defenses. The first was the Sturminfanteriegeschütz 33 based on the Panzerkampfwagen III medium tank and armed with the 150mm sIG heavy infantry gun. All 24 built were produced in 1942 and saw service on the Eastern Front, including Stalingrad. The Sturminfanteriegeschütz 33 was followed by the Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär, which was based on the Panzerkampfwagen IV medium tank and armed with a 150mm StuH (Sturmhaubitze) assault/atttack howitzer. The 306 units produced from 1943 to 1945 saw service on all fronts. The heaviest and the most powerful of all Sturmpanzers was the Sturmtiger, which entered service in late 1944. This was the result of work done on a similar project - Sturmpanzer Bär.

In the autumn of 1942, under the influence of heavy fighting in Stalingrad, the concept of a heavy infantry support vehicle designed for street fighting was revived. At the time, the only vehicle that fulfilled the role was the Sturminfanteriegeschütz 33, while Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär was still under development. The Sturmtiger was originally to be armed with a 210mm howitzer, but it was not available at the time. On August 5th, 1943, it was decided to mount a modified Tiger I heavy tank with a 380mm rocket launcher/mortar installed in a new superstructure. The new vehicle received the designation of 38cm RW61 auf Sturm(panzer)morser Tiger, but it was also known as Sturmtiger, Sturmpanzer VI and Tiger-Morser. The most common designation used was Sturmtiger-Assault Tiger. The new vehicle was similar in layout and role to the Brummbär, but it used a heavier chassis and mounted heavier armament. Alkett was ordered to produce the first prototype by early October 1943. On October 20th, 1943, the first prototype Sturmtiger was presented to Adolf Hitler at the training facilities at Arys (Orzysz) in East Prussia. This prototype was based on a mid-production Tiger I (rubber road wheels) and had the superstructure made of iron armor plates (soft steel). It was extensively tested and, in April 1944, production was approved. Retired or battle-damaged late-model Tiger Is (with steel-rimmed road wheels) were to be used instead of newly-built Tigers. From August to December 1944, Alkett completed only 18 Sturmtigers (chassis numbers 250043 to 251174). Ten were completed in September and eight in December of 1944. Original production plans from 1943 called for 10 vehicles per month, but this requirement was never met.

The new vehicle was based on the late model Tiger I. The hull and suspension were not altered, but the superstructure front was cut to accommodate the new boxy superstructure. Sturmtiger used the same engine as the Tiger-a 700hp 12-cylinder Maybach HL 230 P 45-with a Maybach OLVAR OG 401216A gearbox (8 forward and 4 reverse). The vehicle had a maximum range of 120km (74 miles) and could travel at a maximum speed of 37.5km/h (23 mph). Fuel consumption was 450 liters per 100km [1.8 US gallons per mile], while the fuel tank held 540 liters (140 US gal-lons). Compared to the regular Tiger tank, Sturmtiger was 6.28 meters long (Tiger 8.45 meters), 3.70 meters wide (Tiger 3.70 meters) and 2.85 meters high without crane and 3.46 meters with crane (Tiger 2.93 meters). At 65 tons, it was also eight tons heavier than the 57-ton Tiger. A heavily-armored superstructure, with 150mm frontal plate and 80mm side plates, was mounted in the front of the hull. Branden-burger Eisenwerke manufactured the new superstructure, which housed the armament and fighting compartment. Alkett converted the Tigers and completed assembly at its Berlin-Spandau plant.

The Sturmtiger was armed with a short-barreled 38cm Raketenwerfer 61 L/5.4, breech-loading rocket launcher/mortar. The RW 61 launcher fired short-range (4,600 to 6,000 meters, or 2,850 to 3,720 yards) high-explosive rocket-propelled projectiles. The launcher was fitted with a PaK Zielfernrohr 3 x 8 telescopic sight. Each projec-tile was almost 1.5m (five feet) long and weighed 345 to 351kg (759 to 772 pounds). Two types of ammunition were available-high-explosive Raketen Sprenggranate 4581 (with a 125kg, or 275 pound, explosive charge) and shaped-charge Raketen Hohladungsgranate 4582 for use against fortifications. The shaped-charge round could penetrate up 2.5m (8 feet) of reinforced concrete. The Sturmtiger main arma-ment was originally developed by Rheinmetall-Borsig in Dusseldorf from an anti-submarine depth charge launcher developed for the Kriegsmarine.

The main armament could be traversed by hand 10 degrees to the left and right and elevated from 0 to a maximum of 85 degrees. The launcher produced a recoil force of 30 to 40 tons. Perhaps the most unique feature of the launcher was the way rocket exhaust gasses were vented. These gasses could not be allowed to enter the fighting compartment, and the breech was not strong enough to resist them until the rocket left the barrel, so they were channeled through ventilation shafts around the barrel with numerous exit holes surrounding the muzzle. The result was a spectacular flash when the weapon was fired. Because of this, the Sturmtiger had to move after each shot because its position was revealed to the enemy. The launcher barrel was later fitted with a steel ring as a counterweight to improve elevation and aiming.

Sturmtiger could demolish any building or other target with a single shot, but it could carry only 14 rocket projectiles inside the superstructure. Twelve projectiles were stored in two stowage racks, one more in the launcher and another on the load-ing tray. Most vehicles carried only 13 rounds, without the one on the loading tray. The vehicle was equipped with a hand-operated lifting crane mounted on the right rear of the superstructure. This was used to load projectiles into the vehicle and needed the entire crew of five to operate. The crane could be dismantled and stored when not in use. A two-piece rectangular loading hatch was located in the superstruc-ture roof with guide rails below it and a winch to assist in moving rounds into and out of the storage racks and onto the loading tray. The rear section of the loading hatch was hinged at the rear and incorporated a 90mm NbK 39 Nahverteidigungswaffe, which was a breech-loading grenade launcher for close-in defense. This weapon had a 360-degree traverse and was intended for use in all late-war tanks, replacing exter-nally-mounted smoke dischargers and grenade launchers. The round hatch in the rear wall of the superstructure provided crew entry and exit.

The crew was composed of the commander, gunner, loader, driver and radio-operator. For local defense, a 7.92mm MG34 machine gun was mounted in a ball mount (Kugelblende) in the thick front superstructure plate. Six hundred rounds of 7.92mm ammunition were stored. Also, the side superstructure plates had pistol ports for local defense using a 9mm MP submachine gun carried inside (with 384 rounds of ammunition). Sturmtiger was equipped with a FuG5 10 watt transmitter/receiver and intercom for crew communication.

After tests, the prototype Sturmtiger was transported on August 12th, 1944, to Pruszkow, and the next day was moved to Warsaw to take part in the German attempt to contain the Polish Home Army’s Warsaw Uprising. This Sturmtiger saw action in the Starowka and Mokotow districts of Warsaw. One of the projectiles, which failed to explode, is still on display in Muzeum Wojska Polskiego (Museum of the Polish Armed Forces) in Warsaw. On August 28th, after a successful debut, it was brought back to the Alkett plant in Berlin-Spandau.
Sturmtigers equipped three Panzer Sturmmorser Kompanien (PzStuMrKp)-1000, 1001 and 1002-that served mainly on the Western Front. Each company was to be equipped with 14 Sturmtigers, but soon the number was reduced to four per company (two per platoon). On August 13th, 1944, PzStuMrKp 1000 was formed, followed PzStuMrKp 1001 in September and PzStuMrKp 1002 in October/November. The first action involving Sturmtigers was at Warsaw, when, starting on August 19th, 1944, two vehicles were used during the Warsaw Uprising. It was also probably the only action when Sturmtigers were used in their originally-intended role. PzStuMrKp 1000 and PzStuMrKp 1001, with a total of seven Sturmtigers, were sent to the West-ern Front to take part in the German offensive in the Ardennes. Following that, Sturmtigers saw combat mainly on the Western Front in the final defense of the Fatherland in 1945.

Only 18 Sturmtigers were produced, and they did not have any effect on the out-come of the war. In their limited use, Sturmtigers proved to be excellent defensive weapons but were slow and mechanically unreliable, and most were abandoned or destroyed by their crews after mechanical breakdown or because of fuel shortage. Their heavy armor protection forced the enemy to destroy them with heavy artillery bombardment or air attack. In January 1945, a single round from a PzStuMrKp 1001 Sturmtiger reportedly destroyed three American M-4 Sherman tanks located in a targeted village.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM
streetsquid

And finally, for those of you who don't know what this beast looks like just by name alone, or if you would like a little visual reference

Squid
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12212.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1836072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65837.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1836073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49664.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1836074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81768.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1836075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62217.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1836076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10511.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1836077  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be fun to watch!

This is a project tank that BEGS for real smoke and flash
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Good to see you back, Squid! Go for it, should be an interesting build.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

You have my full attention on this one.

(I bought my self a x-mas gift this year, a 1/35 tamiya sturm kit :-) )
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

You will love the Sturmtiger build as I did back in 2005/06. I used a Tamiya Tiger I and the Imperial conversion resin kit from Andy and WECOHE metal wheels and also some metal tracks. Mine has the Tamiya Battle System installed along with those detail items from SCHUMO that make it an authentic Sturmtiger.

It is truly a very heavy vehicle! Can't wait to see your build.

~ Jeff
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 AM
tsull

Ah, the Master is back!
I really look forward to your build - especially the painting and weathering as that's my next step on my KT.
tjs
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM
CCC2012
Banned

cant wait!!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
streetsquid

KSOC, (Kevin)
I really want to put like 6 emitters in the barrel and make it the BFG (Big effen Gun) on the field, but I have this distinctive feeling the Allies would cry foul! (LOL) Smoke would be cool, but none of the smokers i've seen preduce enough "heavy" smoke to look realistic. IMHO everything I've seen loks whispy and unrealistic in scale, plus it's pure white.

Besides, the electronics part of this hobby is not my strong suit, so making a smoker actually work with Tamiya electronics may be a bit above me at this stage of the game.

I hope it's as much fun to build as you think it will be to watch (LOL).........more to follow!

Craig
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
streetsquid

Sevo/Sollie,
Thanks gents I appreciate the support. I know I don't troll this forum as regularly as I used too, but I don't recall ever seeing a Sturm build. Obviously seen pics of some at battle days occasionally but not a dedicated build thread, so I hope this will generate some interest.

Squid
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
streetsquid

Panther F,
Thanks Jeff, I didnt join this forum until late 2006, so I guess I must have missed your Sturm build, if you still have a link or even some pics you could post I would be greatly appreciative. You mentioned some of the Schumo parts that make it more authentic, care to share your thoughts on those. I'm always looking for input and ideas from others, especially any pitfalls or specific challenges you may have run accross during your build.

Thanks a million!

Streetsquid
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
streetsquid

tsull (Todd)
I think Master is a bit of a strong adjective to describe anything that I do. I like to adhere to an old saying of my dad's before he passed away. Jack of all trades - master of none!

I'm hoping this conversion/build goes relatively quickly so that can get into the paint and weathering. I have some surpises planned for that as well. I want this thing to look menacing and evoke a lil fear in the faint of heart on the DAK field, but I'm also gonna try a new method of weathering - uses no washes, and no pastels.

I don't know we'll see if I can pull it off!

Squid
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
streetsquid

CCC2012,
Thanks for tuning in, hopefully I won't dissapoint you! And by all means please post often I love the feedback and interaction, as I believe that's what makes a build thread good - getting lots of input, sharing of ideas, questions, and banter.

Streetsquid
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
streetsquid

Alright gents,
So far there's been a lots of talk, just a few pictures, and no building so lets get down to some meat and potatoes.

The Donor
For this build the donor Tiger 1 is the first RC tank I ever built, back in 2006. It is the "original DAK Tiger" It was the first Tiger in our club and the first tank to wear our club logo. It's a solid battler, with over 45 battles on 5 different fields under her belt. The only issues I have ever had with her, was to do with recoil and traverse. So at 6 years old she is the perfect tank to send back to the shop for a retro-fit and new lease on life!

Squid

Name:	Yw68696.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1836281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78771.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1836282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24392.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1836283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16748.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1836284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11953.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1836285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26581.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1836286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88664.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1836287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60695.jpg
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1836288  

Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Can't wait to take more pictures of you fixing Tiger Tracks during battle days........

Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM
streetsquid

E Double,
You can only hope that I suffer from mechanical failures as you know that is the only fighting chance you and you lil pack of pea shooter Sherman's have at winning a battle. That plus your public outcry for more club members to build Allied Heavies to help your cause.

Only one problem, I ain't building another KT, and the T1 doesn't throw tracks like the KT does. No this will be another IFA Axis heavy that you'll have to content with, sorry I guess you'll have to once again reconfigure the field to better suit your smaller tanks! (LOL)

Squid
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
streetsquid

Round 2,

The Resin

The Resin conversion kit seems to be relatively accurate in shape and size and only has some slight warping. Make no mistake this is a HUGE slag of resin! When I first ordered this kit the owner of RCtanks.de (Dominique) tried to disuade me a bit. You see they offer this resin set and a metal conversion set, and the price difference is significant. The resin kit runs about $65 USD, and the metal set is $345 USD (with 2 tanks going simeltaneously I went with the cheaper of the two, plus I'm not a fan of adding that much weight, as it causes more issues and requires more upgrades). To his credit Dominque openly told me that this kit had some issues and would require a lot of work, but as a modeler the prospect of working resin didnt' scare me in the least and I almost relish the challenge. Dominique went so far as to tell me that once the stock of resin kits they currently have are gone, they will not be producing any more.

And now I can see why. My resin part all show signs of serious mold deterioration. You can see where the resin parts have leached the moisture from the molds and in deep details and areas with minimal draft, the cured parts have stuck and torn the silicone molds. Subsequesnt parts show that as obscene looking growths and rough pitting. Don't take this the wrong way, this kit is still a nice kit and worth every penny I paid, but it will take quite a bit of rework, and adding and defining details, crisping things up a bit, adding some texture and making it all work with Tamiya's hull but it's all there and the fit seems to be pretty good.

There was also one small bag of white metal detail parts included but I'll have to wait and see if I use them or if I scratchbuild some of those details, like the armament loading crane

Streetsquid

Name:	Gd93858.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1836356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76717.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1836357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78424.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1836358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25451.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1836359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64659.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1836360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63430.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1836361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85107.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1836362  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
streetsquid

Round 3

The Wheels
The late style steel wheels I got from a clubmate, and were a big part of making this build a reality for me. I can't remember exactly who he said made them, but I know they are now out of production (I'm think they were an item from Backyard Armor, or possibly something Bob at ETO used to carry).

Either way, I couldn't have asked for a better deal. For whatever reason the original wheels came with only face detail (the back of the wheel was just left as a flat slab. So the gentleman that I bought them from took the front face, made a mold and cast 16 new resin faces for the back of the wheels. Then he took them and had them sand blasted to clean them up and add texture, added bearings and set them on Tamiya steel axle shafts. So all I have to do is primer them and bolt them onto my stock suspension arms.

Squid

Name:	Hf99225.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1836363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37215.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1836364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89663.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1836365  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM
DeadTom

Sweet build so far, that is one helluva monster you have going.
I have my bag of popcorn ready for this one, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
streetsquid

DeadTom,
Thanks I appreciate the input and participation on the thread, hopefully it will be worth following when all is said and done!

Tonight was spent deconstructing the Tiger 1. Rather then just rip and cut it apart I did my best to remove things as they went on and salvaged as many locating pins and details as I could. Always good to increase your spares box. Didn't have time to snap any photos tonight but I will post pics of tonight's progress tomorrow.

Streesquid (Craig)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Squid, it was great catching up with you. I have been waiting anxiously for you to start this build. I can use the distraction from all the BS lately. I may not be on here posing very often, but I do peek in from time to time. I subscribed to this thread and plan to watch every move you make here and learn all that you offer up for us. This is going to be another one to watch. The guys who know you are well aware of what kind of build thread to expect...for any new guys, watch this one and learn. Squid is the master, and his builds have a quality that is unlike any I have seen. He is one of the rare guys who will share knowledge and teach how he makes the magic happen. I have always come away from these threads a better painter and builder. Thanks for sharing, Squid.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 AM
1sgt

Squid,
Whuile I know this will be a great thread and I'll probably learn some new things. It seems a shame do use such a great looking Tiger as the donor. You couldn't find anothet broke Tiger to use? I'll be watching this very carefully. thanks for sharing

Jim
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM
streetsquid

Yellow,
It was indeed nice to reconnect and catch up after the holidays. Sorry to keep you waiting on this build, it took me a little while to accumulate everything that I needed, and it all finally got here right before the holidays, plus as I've mentioned before this is but just one of several hobbies I try to devote and share my time with. I've been gearing up for 2013 which promises to be a busy year as I'm competing at the IPMS Nationals in my small scale models.

So like you I have not been on this forum as frequently as I used to be. But hopefully this thread will give you a reason to log on at least every couple of days.

As for the rest of the praise you heaped upon me, I am undeserved of for sure. I'm just a humble guy who likes to build models, and likes sharing about how I do them even more. This forum is a goldmine of info and a plethra of knowledge from a bunch of very talented people who share a common interest and hobby, I just like to think I can occasionally add a lil somehting to that. You want to talk about "Master Builder" and painter, time to look at lil closer to home, but we've talked about that umpteen times now

Anyhoo, I appreciate the kind words and support on this thread, but now I gotta go get to building this thing!

Streetsquid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.