Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

FPV Fat Shark mounted in Sherman

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

FPV Fat Shark mounted in Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
tigrotto1a6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FPV Fat Shark mounted in Sherman

Assuming a setup of same power for 3 systems at 5,8, 2,4, 1,2ghz, 900Mhz, the 5,8ghz will have less range than the others, and, it will suffer for ground objects and walls. The main problem are the country laws, some countries do not allow 900 or 1,2GHz, so 2,4 and 5,8 are the only choice. 2,4 is better, but, then you have noise from the other radios. 5,8 is the only alternative legally speaking.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM
hiramekisama

Thanks for the info YHR.

ORIGINAL: tigrotto1a6

Assuming a setup of same power for 3 systems at 5,8, 2,4, 1,2ghz, 900Mhz, the 5,8ghz will have less range than the others, and, it will suffer for ground objects and walls. The main problem are the country laws, some countries do not allow 900 or 1,2GHz, so 2,4 and 5,8 are the only choice. 2,4 is better, but, then you have noise from the other radios. 5,8 is the only alternative legally speaking.
Generally, I hear people reported that 900mhz is better for obstacles. Although, I can't confirm this. And range is never going to be a problem on these tanks with any of the setup. I mean... who is going to run their tanks half a mile away or more? I couldn't run it pass a block without concerning some kid will take off with it.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL that is what I thought too. I had it out on my front drive way and heading down the sidewalk with me inside the house. I just pictured my view suddenly being lifted up and carried down the street!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:40 AM
thedonut

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hiramekisama

ORIGINAL: YHR

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Thanks Wade! You're on top of things!

Now, instead of attaching this thing to your head, will it work with a monitor too? Does it include the receiver electronics?

~ Jeff

The Glasses are them most expensive thing in this set up. If you just wanted to broadcast back to a monitor, you could have this set up for about $200. A host base station is less then $100, and this allows you to hook up a monitor or recording equipment . The Glasses though provide you with a light weight big screen monitor that you can take to the field very easily. Because the view is right up at your eye it really feels like you are on top of the tank.

You can get a good 900mhz 200W FPV system with everything included for $70 on Hobbyklng, not including shipping. The camera it comes with is ~3.5cm but you can get a 1.5cm micro camera on ebay for 25 bucks. Can also buy a portable 6-7'' LCD display for 30 bucks.

I don't see a good reason why it would be a good idea to use 2.4ghz FPV system when 900mhz and 5.8ghz are readily available for just as cheap.

Can anyone validate if the Glasses can cause eyes strain after 1hr use or longer?

Oh, this is my camera mount...[img][/img]

Here's a pan and tilt mechanism I made using the mount that came with the camera. This is mounted on my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9677432/anchors_9677432/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9677432]Sherman[/link].

Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM
tsull

(I hope I'm not hijacking Dan's thread*):

Well - HK just emailed me that my FPV setup is on it's way (which could mean up to another 40 days as I've discovered with my Turnigy TX order....).
**If you are in the U.S., you need to be very careful with the 900 mhz system. Most of those are not legal unless you have a HAM operator license. The 5.8mhz is probably the best way to go.

HMD's (Head Mounted Displays): I've tried the goggles and I get claustrophobic in them. I have a pair of the old EyeTops coming soon. They look like sunglasses and have a video viewer located in one lens. It will allow normal viewing while being able to view the FPV camera in one eye. It operates as a simple "HUD"

I've started on a DIY GunnerView OSD which inserts information into the video stream as it's being transmitted from the camera TX to your receiver. The GunnerView OSD will provide a complete data stream on your battery condition, temperature, location, etc. as well as a central Gun Reticle. The Gun Reticle view is tied to a micro camera on a stalk inserted into the mantlet. When the barrel is elevated or depressed, it will provide the elevation movement on the reticle. The programming is not easy.... I'm hoping I can do it without resorting to subbing it out to the other side of the world. It's definitely much harder then swapping code in JOOMLA.

The good thing with the coding, is you can't really blow out your electronics (like I'm prone to do....).

You will be able to view in "normal vision" the location of your tank as you maneuver against your enemy and once you are close, switch to the HMD GunnerView reticle to center your target, change your elevation by using the reticle information and fire!

After that, the next step is building a custom Apple that has the sensors toward the bottom and the camera mounted inside, but on top of the sensors. The LED is on top. By using a video switcher, you can view the Commander's view and the Gunner's view quickly and with the built in Pan on the Apple camera, switch views.

This is really exciting stuff!

I'll start posting my progress as it develops.

tjs
Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 AM
tsull

Here's a picture of the Eyetops!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34193.gif
Views:	103
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1839492  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM
YHR

Very Cool. I am intersted in what you are doing.

No such thing as thread hijacking in my world. Free flow of one's ideas leads to others and the results are usually pretty productive.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM
tsull

I've been corresponding with a couple guys on FPVLabs and they have some really interesting stuff going on.
The video switching and custom OSD modules with the HMD's would really change this hobby. The challenge will be the cost when the HMD's are factored in along with the maximum user's on a 5.8 system is 8 (currently).

THere's some work being done on frequency hopping for video, but using an IP protocol for multiple tank battles might be more efficient. The interesting concept with the IP protocol concept is that each tank would emit it's own specific IP address to it's user (for video receipt to the HMD), but all channels could be aggregated into a computer server with a video overlay of the battlefiield.

Now, taking this to the extreme; by 3D scanning the battlefield (there's some DIY scan systems already avialable) and inserting preconfigured 3D objects (buildings, bridges, etc) and building a battlefield, you can "reinsert" the IP data which is the video back into the RX of the tank's controller and into the HMD.

This would produce a battlefield rich in color, texture and interaction as viewed by the tanker through their HMD.

These types of systems (costing $$$$$$) are already being used for certain 3D design studios and even combat training with the FBI (using FPV goggles, etc.).

Well - at least the GunnersView system is doable at this stage!

tjs
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: YHR

LOL that is what I thought too. I had it out on my front drive way and heading down the sidewalk with me inside the house. I just pictured my view suddenly being lifted up and carried down the street!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm a Tazer Tank....LMAO
Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 AM
reyemmanuel

Hi Dan,

Just about to grab a FatShark and wanted you get any updates (hint hint, vid clips of your Sherman FPV). I'm leaning towards getting the Teleporter V3 as it is only 200 bucks and can accomodate a micro SD card should one need to record whilst FPVing and battling. I reckoned this entry level FPV immersion package is enough for a ground vehicle than spending heaps more on the Dominator series. Head tracking isn't that necessary for me this time, unless i take it to the sky n fly.

If I should grab this, it'll fit a single servo for panning (as tilt is less likely needed in tanks)-or I am mistaken and looking down the sides is kinda necessary during navigation?

Would be glad to get any updates from anyone with FPV, especially the immersive type of systems.
cheers,
Rey
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 AM
YHR

I haven't used it much. I got busy with other builds and just never took the time to run the FPV Sherman. There is a video out on the Fat shark I found out, so you can hook it up and record what you are viewing. I will try and get some video

Cheers
Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
reyemmanuel

Looking forward to it Dan, thanks in advance =).

So far, browsing the web, only quite a few besides the Panzerwarriors over at Japan did FPV'd their RC tanks- such as tsull, tigretto, sean(oz), bob and yourself plus probably a couple more... but what strikes me the most is the guy from Indonesia (me thinks) named Benny.

He has made an HL tiger a fully FPV'd rc tank with triple, switchable views (cmdr, gunner and driver). It seems 6 months ago he has this set up already (and even the driver's vision port opens and closes). He has made use of Fatshark Dominator (googles), RC immersion 5.8 Ghz, 600 watts rx, interfaced with Eagle Tree OSD such that the direction, gps coordinates, gun reticle, speed, model and other stuff is displayed, and I guess a switching circuit to alternate views.

The videos are attached below and I would just imagine if the sounds were better in the 1st video...it'll be a blast. (I've asked him to put together a video showing the FPV coupled to better sounds). The 1st video below, I may say, tone down the volume as only HL is sounding. The 2nd video has the DBC3-Benedini and Benedini smoker, but had not shown the FPV. Hope he makes a third video showing all these together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itW7jmQGW6s Now I think of late, he has upgraded the sounds to Benedini and your DBC3 in tandem and then dropped in Benedini smoker. Quite interesting really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHgdg0_Z40g I would imagine if I were to do this, I'll use Tamiya chassis (due to better mechanical reliability) and the FPV gear + Eagle Tree OSD + DC3/Clark Benedini TBS mini and Benedini smoker.
Looking forward to progressing the hobby towards something like this...

Last edited by reyemmanuel; 11-02-2013 at 04:42 PM.