Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Sherman or Hooben Elefant?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Sherman or Hooben Elefant?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Sherman or Hooben Elefant?

I'm going for it. Im going iwo jima marine camo with the ducts and the battlefield additions that I can find documentation on. Bob, I'll try to call you again tomorrow about the kit. I can paypal you or bring cash when I pick it up. Checked out a lot of upgrades and have chosen a few to start. As I see the kit go together Ill figure out which other ones I'll get. I'll get the Elefant next month. Got to keep my bullpen stocked with a few builds. Just doing the Bulldog has lit a fire back under my but. I'm enjoying myself. I'm even on World of tanks and having a blast too.

Thank you all for you posts. Definately a wealh of information here.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 AM
CCC2012
Banned

TAMIYA SHERMAN....
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Ethan, Herman... did you guys use styrene or brass in the construction of your stacks?

~ Jeff

Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Green Amphibian

I used styrene on mine. I used brass to make all the light guards, handles, etc.

Herman
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

STYRENE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92781.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1842861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72176.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1842862  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
DirtyBird69

That is so COOL!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Rustytrax

"You can upgrade the Sherman tank to a heavy."

Please explain. I'm starting a e8 build and will do the ETO armor up as well. Does this now "qualify" as a heavy?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Rustytrax

''You can upgrade the Sherman tank to a heavy.''

Please explain. I'm starting a e8 build and will do the ETO armor up as well. Does this now ''qualify'' as a heavy?

Okay, I will explain anything you need, BUT... read these first as they might give you some idea of what is what:

http://www.bayareatankers.org/Intell...les_RCACN_.htm

And here is a chart of the classified vehicles:

http://www.bayareatankers.org/Intell...atified03_.htm

I picked these as they are very well spelled out but are not necessarily practiced everywhere.

The JUMBO is a given as it is definably up-armored, but the Thunderbolt is a field modification to the Easy 8 and may not apply to everyone's interpretation as a heavy.

Let me know if this helps!

~ Jeff
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

ORIGINAL: thecommander

The Sherman is a inexpensive and reliable Tamiya tank. If you want to learn IR battle a revolving turret is a MUST. The Hooben Elefant is not reliable. Just like the real thing. (italics mine) It is not a tank are going to want to battle with all day long like the Sherman could be.
Another reason why Feng (Hooben) should consider doing another tank & this time make it an early-mid WW2 British tank. He's already proven himself when it comes to reliable design.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Darryl Usher

Do another tank Hooben, none of the parts fit on the T55, why try I have 3 sets of plastic parts and there is so much flash many of the parts are unusable. The bearing do not fit hull and both motors need to be shimmed each with different amounts.
Darryl
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Darryl Usher

Do another tank Hooben, none of the parts fit on the T55, why try I have 3 sets of plastic parts and there is so much flash many of the parts are unusable. The bearing do not fit hull and both motors need to be shimmed each with different amounts.
Darryl

Wow, that's a first. A negative report on the HOOBEN T-55.

Why didn't you send it back or tell someone about it?

~ Jeff
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Darryl Usher

Well I normally do not due negative reports. It took better than a year to get all the parts.
Darryl
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

See, another satisfied Hooben customer & reason why they should roll the dice on one more tank kit before simply folding up the tent & focusing on new ships & submarines.

Here's a great reference site on British tanks that I'll send to their laoban to reconsider.

http://208.84.116.223/forums/index.php?showtopic=35082
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Darryl Usher

Well I normally do not due negative reports. It took better than a year to get all the parts.
Darryl

Oh no, I wasn't hanging it on you Darryl. It's just the first bad thing I have heard about that kit and already know what's in store for me on the Elefant (which I do have) just surprised about it, that's all.

Why did it take so long to get parts?

~ Jeff
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Darryl Usher

You are asking the wrong end.
Darryl
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

Well got my Sherman tonight. Thanks Bob. Going to put together an upgrade parts order. Bearings. metal elevation arm, Idler brackets, and some bling I guess. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Herman I'm going the USMC standard version(we can platoon). Have to research the paint FS numbers. The ways they mounted the wood. Can you suggest any reference books or material on that variant?

Bill
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Green Amphibian

There are a lot out there, but I relied on Zalonga's book on the Sherman and some specific to the USMC tanks in WWII. My build is on the H.E.A.T. website if you haven't seen it at H*E*A*T Armor - Home .

Herman

Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

There is a Squadron Signal book called "Tank arfare on Iwo Jima" that is a good reference on what you're looking for. Mostly black-and-white photos, but some are in color, and there are color drawings and markings descriptions as well. Amazon has it at: http://www.amazon.com/Tank-Warfare-I.../dp/0897475593
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Panther F

If it has stock idlers... get rid of them!

Get either the DT set, IMPACT or even Tamiya sells some metal idlers with bearings.

~ Jeff
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

On the early t-55 kits the quality control was a bit wonky and some ofthe mouldings not the best. I must have a later one because most parts where fine! The elefant is a far better moulded kit.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Panther F

Have you built one Tom? The Elefant that is? Love to see it!

I cannot wait to tear into mine as I have been squirreling away parts for it, have KK tracks all painted up, got the metal barrel now and had it drilled out by Daryl and the Tamiya electronics sitting there waiting.

I tried to get metal wheels for it from HOOBEN, but if it's not listed on their website... FORGET IT! I wish someone made some for the Elefant and I didn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

I'm even going with the zimm for the kit too!

~ Jeff

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
karel47

ORIGINAL: ausf

I'm a German armor guy, have been modeling it for years and amassed the equivalent of a small library of the subject. That said, I'd go Tamiya Sherman hands down.

After the Tiger I, it's a must have in the Tamiya chain, there are plenty of conversions to make it as heavy, including late war HVSS Fireflies.

For battling, that little M4 is a real runner, no issues at all. My son can drive circles around most tanks with it, certainly can chew up the Tiger in terms of manuevering and battling in small spaces. The short barrel 105 is a plus too, swings fast, I ended up throwing a Firefly barrel on it just to slow my son down.
He Ausf,

rc tanks de have the stumtiger upperhull to convert, its full metal one from asiatam, cost 250 euro here that's about 500 dollar at yours

it is intended for heng long tiger, but it fit the tamiya also ... the scale measurments are the same on 1/16, would be a strong oponent in battle

Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Panther F

I cannot wait to tear into mine as I have been squirreling away parts for it, have KK tracks all painted up, got the metal barrel now and had it drilled out by Daryl and the Tamiya electronics sitting there waiting.

I tried to get metal wheels for it from HOOBEN, but if it's not listed on their website... FORGET IT! I wish someone made some for the Elefant and I didn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

~ Jeff

Jeff, what about the asiatam metal wheels and suspension? That's what I have/plan to use whenever I get to building the VK4501.http://www.rctank.de/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1101
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Panther F

Well Jeff just so happens I have a build on rctr. My elefant is a bit of a mongrel. It's got the full metal asiatam running gear (tracks suspension and sprockets/idlers), Tamiya tus with 3:1s and an slu. The elefant mouldings are far better than the t-55 but there are less small parts so that could be why.

http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctank...p?f=120&t=1842
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37zbbXjIlHk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Abd a vid of her running

~ Jeff

Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Panther F

That looks and sounds very good (owed to those Tamiya TU's) and to that real nice camo job.

~ Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.