Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Choices (opinions)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Choices (opinions)

Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Tamiya Choices (opinions)

Alright here we go, I plan on purchasing a Tamiya in the future for all the obvious reasons. Now with that being said not sure which one. I am in the process of building a Mato Sherman so a Sherman is out of the question. I have thought of the Pershing, but with the Clark board now available, I can get a HL Pershing w/metal tracks for $140 add a clark T22 and voila a decent running battle tank under the $300 mark. I also have two HL Tigers and a Mato KT. The KT was slated for an elmod/ which I have (second gen version elmod) not the new eco/pro. The two HL Tigers, I could get an asiatam or taigen lower and it would be decent but I am not sure I want to even invest in those. I was really leaning towards the pershing but like I said the clark board kind of changed my mind. The same goes for the Panther G, it is pretty decent OOB add the clark or dbc3 and benedini and once again a decent runner.

As far as funding I can't justify what the Tamiya Panther,KV,Panzer are going for. I don't mind spending the money its just a bit too much in my opinion. So all input is welcome.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Choices (opinions)

IS2.....
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now If wade had made it to one of the NEAD battledays you could have driven all of them and made a very educated decision for himself. LOL...just poking at you Wade. I hope you canmake th winter battleday...IF we get some snow. The Tamiya Pershing is a very good first tank. It is a little picky about wiring placement and hygene. But over all is a very good tank for a experienced builder. The Tiger is the best overall first tank. It is very forgiving and roomy. Tamiya Tigers hold their value very well and there are always buyers for them as used tanks. In all my years I have only see one sell for less than $500 in good running order with radio in good and ususally a TBU.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Rebellion13

Lol. Bob your a funny funny man . The more I think about this, and mustclime's choice I may just hold off and get the JS-2. My reasoning is that I already have tiger's not tamiyas but, it would be a waste if I didn't do something with them. The asiatam/taigen hull I could get for under a $100 which would make it a decent runner. The Pershing, well the HL is probably one of the best runners they have. So I may just unload some of my RC trucks to help fund the cost of the JS-2. I really don't see this tank under $700 most likely it will be $720 like the KV but that is just a guess. I have to have at least one tamiya, the others that I already have can be made into some pretty good battle tanks for the backyard, and hopefully some NEAD events.

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 AM
CCC2012
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KV 2
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

Tamiya Panzer IV or the IS 2 would be my choice. The KT is cool but from what I read on this forum and researching at ETO Armour the KT needs some upgrades for the track system. My first Tamiya tank is the M26. It went together very smooth. I added to upgrades from ETO. Track adjusters and a metal gun elevation arm. It is cramped but if you are neat and take your time with the wires you can get them organized. The commander on here gave me some helpful info. This is a great running tank. I have yet to battle with it. Maybe someday soon I can make it to Danville Museum.
A Thank You to all the fellow tankers that have giving me helpful information over the last few years.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
mustclime

Paint sugestion......

Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Rustytrax

There is a video of a pink RC tank battling.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Rebellion13

I'll wait until Heng Long releases an IS-2 and paint it pink. Although it would be funny to spend $700+ and paint it like that.................not really. I bet that will be a beast of a tank on the RC battlefield.

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM
wsn123

My next Tamiya choice will be IS-2

however prices in some shops looking curious......

894 EUR !!! (nearly 1200 $)
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...1_344_671.html
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I must agree... that will be my next Tamiya tank I get. I don't know how but maybe a selling spree might get what I need to pull it off.

Maybe when I visit the museum next, that way I can save on the shipping

But the wife will be with me! [] RATTS!!

~ Jeff
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
CCC2012
Banned

wow...thats a lot,...
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Rebellion13

ORIGINAL: wsn123

My next Tamiya choice will be IS-2

however prices in some shops looking curious......

894 EUR !!! (nearly 1200 $)
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...1_344_671.html
Well if that is the price I doubt it will sell all that well, if it is kept at around the 720ish price I will have no problem getting one, but if it is what that price is forget it. I mean what could possibly justify that price? The leo at least has the barrel stabilization, this is basically a KV with a different top hull, not to mention it will be using the same DMD as the KV and the MF07 from the super sherman. Hopefully that is just the "list" price and not the actual. If that would be the case, I would get the KV and scrounge the top hull, and save $500. lol Maybe Karen can enlighten us on the cost if she knows.

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM
girltankette

Unfortunately I am still waiting on a price from Tamiya - once I have it, it will be posted on our website and pre-orders
will be available. At this point I do not know what is going on with Tamiya! Heck of a way to do business - how do you sell
something when they will not give you a price, but they will take pre-orders from me LOL!

Karen
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Panther F

Wade, you know better and this is how the Tamiya high price rumor starts. It's always listed as a higher price on their website, most foreign countries have it bad as it is much higher for them.

Relax because unless the thing has something so new that it pushes the envelope, I expect our price will be around 7 to 8 hundred for it. Besides... only us RICH FOLKS can afford Tamiyas! [X(]

~ Jeff
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM
mustclime

well here is the tank on the tamiya site....

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=56035

just noticed they list what dmd and mfu they use on the tank....

Kit includes DMD Control Unit (T-08) and DMD Multi-Function Unit (MF-07)
its different than the kv1

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=56028

Includes DMD Control Unit (T-08) and DMD Multi-Function Unit (MF-06)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
wsn123

Thanks for info ...

MF-07 but what engine sound is recorded inside ? There is still no official demo or informations from Tamiya ...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Panther F

I'm sure both tanks have the same engine (12-cyl. diesel model V-2) so maybe the first one getting it will let us know!

Probably just a separate sound track to "sound" different than the KV MF.

~ Jeff
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Rebellion13

ORIGINAL: mustclime

well here is the tank on the tamiya site....

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=56035

just noticed they list what dmd and mfu they use on the tank....

Kit includes DMD Control Unit (T-08) and DMD Multi-Function Unit (MF-07)
its different than the kv1

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=56028

Includes DMD Control Unit (T-08) and DMD Multi-Function Unit (MF-06)
The DMD-08 is from the KV/Super Sherman
The MF-07 is from the Super Sherman

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Rustytrax

Now we can make ISU 122 and 152s. Though I would prefer the turret.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Rebellion13

Well after seeing the recent price for the JS-2 and having sticker shock, I will be passing on this tank. Guesstimating around $1,000 is unacceptable, I know I know well it will have different sounds most likely and have this and that, but this is a toy/hobby. My 2 yr old needs diapers lol. The retail is higher then the Leo so in turn the true price will be higher also, and I can't justify that. Now this is just my opinion. I will probably lean towards the tiger, and this is because I have set myself a budget, no real reason just that I gave myself a limit. I will have my Sherman built and I have thought of the Pershing but I need an axis tank. I have been crunching numbers for my HL tigers.......asiatam lower hull, metal barrel, various metal parts, clark tk22, and 3:1 gears. Looks to be around $470. Add 200 and I have a Tammy.

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Rebellion13

Sorry I didn't mean to go on a rant there.......well kinda. I want to have atleast one tamiya. I don't have the need to be the new kid on the block with the shiniest new toy, hence that is why I'll pass on the JS. I will look into the newer tiger offering. If anyone cares to give input......let'er rip. and that gets me thinking about a asiatam KV lower hull with the Tamiya JS upper and a clark board hmmmm lol.

Cheers
Wade

Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wade you will like the Tiger 1. It's a good tank right out of the box. I am surprised at the JS 2 price. At least the Leopard has main gun stabilization where as the JS 2 does not and wouldn't have it on the real thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Rebellion13

And I don't mean to come off sounding harsh towards tamiya or the diehards. It's just in my situation that would be a lot to spend on a rc of any kind. I love my toys but I made it a point to myself to draw the line somewhere. Heck I still have it in my pea brain to buy a freisian horse, so I have something to put in our stables lol.

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully the price will go down over time..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.