Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For those that may not know this debate is as old as this forum, and there will never be a definitive answer to any question placed on relevance or value. It all depends on who you are an what you want. When it comes to this, even rivetcounter's remark on Audi and Ford is debatable. If you are the kind of guy who likes a new car every year, then your priorities are different then the guy that replaces vehicles every 11.. We all have different priorities. As an example if you like big armor and painting, but have little use for the mechanical- electrical, I would question why on earth would you spend $700 to scratch your itch, when a $139 Heng Long will do. However you may have valued reasons that differ from mine, and the choice is yours to make

We are all individuals and each one of us will determine what we want out of this hobby. No one should be challenged on their personal choices in this regard. Just have fun, buy what you want, and let others enjoy their choices as well.

The endless debate always sprouts up when remarks are made that cause either side to defend their choice.
    Last edited by YHR; 08-16-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well I have 3 Tamiya's and 1 HL panther g, The Tamiya's have been used for about 6 years at about 8 shows
    a year and no parts have ever broke. We use plastic tracks because of weight and dependably.
    I have 1 HL that I have modified to higher standards. Brass gear box,metal wheels with ball bearing, movable
    machine gun, Clark controller with recoil, larger speaker, track tensioner and gun elevation on extra channel
    with servo. The tank is Tamiya IR equipped. This tank runs fine but has weak sound system so next will be
    a Tamiya sound system. This tank is over $700 now.
    Darryl
    Usher Tool

D G Usher

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ditto ausf, and Jerry!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Have fun, it's your tank not mine.
    Tamiya Tiger I, Tiger II, Panther G, 3 HL Stug III G, 1 HL Panzer III M, 1 HL Jagdpanzer IV L/70, 1 R/C Armory 1/8 Tiger II

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUS45 View Post
    Ditto ausf, and Jerry!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Have fun, it's your tank not mine.

I'm not sure which comment of mine you were referring to ( I've got a million of them... Bwahahahahah! :-) ) but thanks..... I think..

I'm really not pro anything. I have several Heng Long /Asiatam tanks and several stock HL tanks that I've never done anything with except throw away the transmitters. I have most of Tamiya's lineup - unbuilt. Not sure what I'm waiting for except my 1/10 models suck up most of my modeling time.. Some of you know
    I have other 1/16 scale guys as well, Bandai, Torro, Imai, Asiatam's all metal guys so I really have my fingers in many pies.

I guess the only thing I even come close to disagreeing with is that the models from China are a comparable bargain to Tamiya's. I make no comments regarding quality except for stock electronics, they simply aren't as flexible. Period. plastic for plastic they're all the same to me. Add an Asiatam lower hull and they're
    getting closer. Swap out the electronics with a more usable system and their nearly equal to anything else. I'll stack up my modified Heng Long/ Asiatams
    against one of my own Tamiya models.But are they bargains, hardly. Asiatam lowers, metal wheels, after market metal tracks, upgraded gearboxes with
    3:1 geardowns, Dave's battle system ( probably to be upgraded to Clark's soon ) 2.4 Ghz radio system. Bargain no way. Fun? yes

My problem is there's too many choices and I am running out of room. I have nearly 70 model tanks, the majority of which are 1/10 scale. I have a serious space problem, there's not a room ( save the bathrooms ) that doesn't have a tank. As I write this I'm flanked by a 1/10 Panther A and a BergePanther. If I back up too far one of two JagdPanthers will try to impale me with its maingun... And the ladies, they have a real hard time with this. It just doesn't fit their sense of decor..,.

I think we need a new thread to change the mood; "women and model tanks", choice? Anyonek nwo one that really accepts your hobby? Do you find yourself
    defending the time you spend? Do they accuse you of spending more time than you really do? I was seeing a gal ( at least I think it's over ) that poked the occasional " are you playing with your children again" a thinly veiled " I envy your models " ( truth is she was ALWAYS my priority! )

Anyway I digress. Are Tamiyas relevant? Not to a woman they ain't..................

Jerry
    Last edited by Tanque; 08-17-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    - http://tanks.linite.com/

~ Then give three cheers, and one cheer more,
    For the hardy Captain of the Pinafore! ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    "Women and Model Tanks"????

Boy, THAT Would be a QUICK "Thread-Killer". My Sister-In-Law Recently Referred to My Shelves of Model Kits in the Garage that I've Collected on the Past 40+ years as "Toys"! Talk about Teeth Gnashing Time....., ;]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Women.................................

My wife had a meltdown yesterday. Family was over, all of them thrilled with the event I had planned, except my wife and her worries about insurance and liability. She didn't think watching me in my Fire retardant coveralls and safety glasses experimenting with my new estes rocket based smoke generator to be used as a pyrotechnic in tank was a good family after dinner activity. Along with my PPE( personal protective equipment) this activity was taking place in the fire pit in the back yard). Mumbles of when are you going to grow up, and then clearly defined threats of never being forgiven if something bad happens were directed my way.

Needless to say she was happy when I could not energize the igniter and the activity was dud, which my Adult daughters then commented that outcome was what they figured would happen. Encouraging words from these females!!!!!!!!.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My wife is my biggest supporter of my hobby.

Why she's even pushing me to create my own website and offer tank repairs and modifications too. She has seen me completely rebuilt a 750 BMW from an electrical fire and with that as a background, working on what I love is an easy affair.

Of course anything dealing with fire I believe any wife, woman or girlfriend would be terrified in the outcome. This is completly a normal reaction and concern for you safety.

Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What is up with Tamiya, No new 1/16th tank since the JS2. I guess to busy producing the Tamiya RC 1/14th Cascadia Freightliner Kit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
    My wife is my biggest supporter of my hobby.

Why she's even pushing me to create my own website and offer tank repairs and modifications too. She has seen me completely rebuilt a 750 BMW from an electrical fire and with that as a background, working on what I love is an easy affair.

Of course anything dealing with fire I believe any wife, woman or girlfriend would be terrified in the outcome. This is completly a normal reaction and concern for you safety.

Jeff
    Yes she was genuinely worried about my safety, and was not sure what was going to happen in this experiment. However I was more then confident that the event was being carried out in a safe manner. Other then that, lets just says she tolerates my hobby.

If Tamiya produces one tank a year I would be more then happy, as long as they stay in the game they will be relevant. I wish they would tackle some British armor. Just imagine a Tamiya Valentine. I would open my wallet for that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks guys - didn't mean to ignite a 'horror' debate - just pleased with my Tamiya Leo2 and it's price. I'm pretty neutral in terms of this debate - buy what you can afford and if you have the time,skills and inclination - develop them to whatever standard suits you and cost of course.

cheers

CaptB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by YHR View Post
    I would open my wallet for that.

Oh boy!

And I bet I'll hear that happening all the way down here in Indiana too! LOL

Jeff
    "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    yes that's also truth ... but i don't goes here is tamiya the best ... that's not the topic

no the question is is a tamiya kit worth his money ... i can only say yes

if you compare prices am sure you get it at a good price

here in belgium they sell them for 1000 euro , i buy him in germany for 550 euro half price and a sherman for 450 euro

what's wrong with that its simply treu , no hard feelings

one can buy what he want but if he ask a question he must see the through also

If you shop around you can pick up a Tiger or king tiger for 450 euros. My taigan tiger, upgraded to bring to Tamiya spec cost more than that. Are Tamiya still relevant? They still set the benchmark which everything else is compared too - the 10 year old Leo 2 is still the finest 1/16 available. I just wish they'd release more of them. I'd kill for a centurion or chieftain, but what I'd like most of all is the Matilda senior.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    If you shop around you can pick up a Tiger or king tiger for 450 euros. My taigan tiger, upgraded to bring to Tamiya spec cost more than that. Are Tamiya still relevant? They still set the benchmark which everything else is compared too - the 10 year old Leo 2 is still the finest 1/16 available. I just wish they'd release more of them. I'd kill for a centurion or chieftain, but what I'd like most of all is the Matilda senior.
    am agree

Quote Originally Posted by YHR View Post
    When it comes to this, even rivetcounter's remark on Audi and Ford is debatable.
    Finally, something interesting on this forum to write about ...

I would submit that while Audi has a few, fine, modern, VW based autos running around in North America, though, mostly driven by the wives and girlfriends, and of course even a few great Audi race cars under its history belt, perhaps the length and breath of the really fun and interesting Fords, which helped create the giant collector car hobby and international racing sports industry, means Ford is a standout amongst all manufacturers. FYI, I wouldn't own either, my 2 cents tip

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auot-Union.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	2025004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeMans-Audi.jpg 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	2025005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra.jpg 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	2025006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford-GT.jpg 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	2025007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-ford.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	2025008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37-Ford-Woodie.jpg 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	2025009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford-rallye.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	2025010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gt350.jpg 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	2025011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mustang-GT.jpg 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	2025012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford-Model-T.jpg 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	2025016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotus-Ford.jpg 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	2025022

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post

John, the Audi group includes VW, Skoda and also Porsche, quality is uppermost with the company hence why Audi owners own their cars for 10 years or more and Ford owners change them every year before they break down it’s also why every diplomat in the world drives an Audi and not a ford after all you don’t want to see your countries Primminister waiting on the AA to repair the car:O)
    I don’t drive a ford or Audi
    UKTC European Coordinator
    RAG Militδrmodellbau

Quote Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post

I would submit that while Audi has a few, fine, modern, VW based autos running around in North America, though, mostly driven by the wives and girlfriends, and of course even a few great Audi race cars under its history belt, perhaps the length and breath of the really fun and interesting Fords, which helped create the giant collector car hobby and international racing sports industry, means Ford is a standout amongst all manufacturers. FYI, I wouldn't own either, my 2 cents tip

John

Name:	Auot-Union.jpg 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	2025004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeMans-Audi.jpg 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	2025005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra.jpg 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	2025006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford-GT.jpg 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	2025007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-ford.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	2025008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37-Ford-Woodie.jpg 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	2025009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford-rallye.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	2025010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gt350.jpg 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	2025011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mustang-GT.jpg 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	2025012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford-Model-T.jpg 
ID:	2025016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lotus-Ford.jpg 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	2025022
    Where is the Mondeo? :P Audi would never make a Mundano or a Fiasco.

I just bought a new Audi. Sat in and drove dozens of cars but none had either the build quality or ride of the Audi. Even the A1 eclipsed top end cars by other manufacturers in features, comfort and quality. Performance is very good too. They might share the same basic platforms as VW but that is where the similarities end.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You know I own both. I have an Audi A6 which is absolutely wonderful. I also have a Ford Explorer. Having lived with both as well as a Porsche Boxster
    for quite some while I can say they all have their high points. I've owned my Explorer for 18 years ( very low mileage, Boxster extremely low mileage and
    Audi middlin' mileage.

My Boxster was assembled in Finland from German parts, My Explorer has a German engine, Japanese transmission and much of the electrical components were made in Canada. Don't know if the Audi was built in Germany or not. Don't know that I care really.

I like them all; I'd have no problem buying another Audi or Ford. Porsche not so much. Handled like nothing else I've had and faster than snot
    but maintenance is exorbitant and Porsche makes engineering 'booboos' that I don't want to pay for. Look up IMS bearing issue.

Jerry

OK. The Audi reliability score in North America is usually only slightly better than average for some models, which puts it on par with all the "fix or repair daily" Fords.

The Audi S8 D2 Quattro used in a lengthy car chase scene and gun battle at the Port of Nice for the movie "Ronin" is spectacular: http://www.quattroholic.com/2011/11/...ar-chases.html

Never saw the car in North America though. Any bullet proof government VIP luxury auto is some what like an airport fleet rental car, who cares, regardless of the brand.

Audi’s are best known for unintended acceleration in North America and forever will carry that cross. That is the Audi version and answer to the question: "Where is the Mondeo? Audi would never make a Mundano or a Fiasco."

While Ford's Edsel; the old Pinto and Maverick working class cars and a host of newer rental cars represent some sorry factory automotive design efforts, legends like the Daytona Coupe and GT40 Mk II balance things out for Ford.

Plus, very few freeway and or daily driving working folk keep their daily driver vehicles 10 or 20 years in North America, unless it is a second or a collector car, I do believe.

The car is usually the only form of practical, timely, transportation in my area, and going to work on a freeway and or daily driving is pretty tough on most vehicles here, for that type of longevity or survival to happen very often.

Anyway, I don't see to many, make that any, old Audi cars, nearing a decade old, out and about, on a work day commute in my location nor at a weekend car show for that matter.

Instead, I do see a high number of older and newer Asian sedans being used as daily drivers.

In conclusion, if you like Audi, test drive a BMW M3 or M4.

Name:	Daytona-Coupe.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	2025169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GT40MKII.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	2025170

I tried the m3 and m4, and a bunch of mercs too and still bought the 4 rings....You've obviously got some beef against Audi despite never owning one so I'll leave this now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Audis have picked up their game in the last recent while and are really pushing BMW. Audi, BMW, Porsche, not a bad selection of cars either way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I certainly don't want to get into a irrelevant discussion on the merits of cars. The worst reliability experience I've even had with a car was with a new BMW.
    I sold it after a year as just about everything broke, leaked or acted flaky in that first year. No other car I've owned was as worrisome and I've owned domestic,
    German and Japanese makes.

To get back to the point; Tamiya model tanks have been, remain and probably always will be relevant. They are a complete package for those who don't want to mod,
    hunt down specialty parts and just enjoy their toy. Their quality, fit and engineering is largely superior to others. The other maker's products are good, more diverse and
    attainable so they'll always be relevant also.

Model tanks are like many cars: if you can afford them and like them they are relevant, Just don't judge them by your own ability to buy them.

Jerry

My 2 cents on topic, all the rc tank brands are relevant, depends on how serious and clever a modeler you are and what you do with your tank project.

rivetcounter's and YHR's comment on Audi and Ford is an interesting and relevant compared to this "old hat" tank thread and it seemed a fun idea to expand on the statement. Maybe not. If you guys can't play and have fun with the side bar car talk first generated by rivetcounter's and YHR's comments, well, so what, seems there are some guys here with very delicate feelings who enjoy delicate autos . Well Mondo, I guess the Audi then would be a perfect vehicle for those guys, this is after all the land of diversity.

Any German luxury, performance or sports car will eat you out of house and home, so if your worried about that, well, get a practical Honda or Toyota or similar Asian brand. And by the way, I am a serious car hobby guy, and over the years have owned new Audi for the wife, , BMW, new 9 series Porsches and a show quality 356A Coupe and real Speedsters plus new American muscle cars and many other more practical autos and shop trucks. Lastly, as a hobby have helped restore 3 vintage racing McLaren Can Am cars, at my bros shop, including the 1000 HP big block, unfamous black McLaren from Hell vintage campaigned by retired race car driver George Follmer. And helped out on restoring to racing/concours condition Peter Revson's orange M20 car, the real car. Earned the Concours Gold Award from the Ferrari Club of America for a 13 year old 512 Testarossa in 2002 and participated in many other events from drag racing to the old CanAm Series. Like engines that rumble like a 9.0 earthquake.

Back to topic: Here are my tanks over the last 10 years, the Tiger IE being my first build and rebuilt a couple of times and below is the fine HL Pz3 and their Sherman as a 75mm, but all are built to f/o standards and all using Tamiya Electronics. The green Tamiya Leo 1A4 was thus reported by Daryl Turner while at Danville: "The Leo 1A4 had jaws dropping and people drooling." As they say, you got to see my tanks in person to understand how they raise the bar and how they present and perform, perform being the first goal.

Cool M8F video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNh8LMShyE

Name:	M20-Don.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	2025340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leo1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	2025337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gepard-lift.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	2025338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leo2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	2025339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KV_PZ.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	2025341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JS2.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	2025342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KV.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	2025344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M36B.jpg 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	2025345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sherman-75.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	2025346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sherman-76.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	2025347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sherman-105.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	2025348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pershing-Early-TBU.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	2025349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pershing-profile.jpg 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	2025350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yard-Fight.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	2025351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Size-Comp.jpg 
ID:	2025352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiger-IE.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	2025336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panther-G.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	2025353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pz4_Skirts.jpg 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	2025354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PZ3.jpg 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	2025355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jagdpanther.jpg 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	2025356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KT-Porsche-FO.jpg 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	2025357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jagd_PZ_Panther.jpg 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	2025358

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My hat is off to you Pcomm1.v2: If I wrote a post like your last one I'd get pummeled for being an elitist snob. But then I'm probably one of the
    guys with delicate feelings since I drive an Audi and not a earthquake on wheels.. Were you driving through Napa early this morning... stop that!

Whatever makes us happy right? They're all toys at the end of the day and like so many before us have proven we can't take them with us.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tanque View Post
    My hat is off to you Pcomm1.v2: If I wrote a post like your last one I'd get pummeled for being an elitist snob. But then I'm probably one of the
    guys with delicate feelings since I drive an Audi and not a earthquake on wheels.. Were you driving through Napa early this morning... stop that!

Whatever makes us happy right? They're all toys at the end of the day and like so many before us have proven we can't take them with us.

Jerry
    Anyway, did all your cookies crumble early this AM (Sic biscuitus disintegratum)?

And hope all will be soon well again at today's California State of Emergency Napa earthquake area and that you suffered no damage down in the some what distant East Bay.

Just stating my learned perceptions and how I came about that perspective and perhaps you deserve to be pummeled someday, the Tanque, who who writes out of both sides their elitist snob Audi, Boxster, Ford owning wit.

I do agree, happy fun participation is the reason for hobbies and sharing opinions about hobbies is part of that fun, whether you agree or not.

Do you have the band width to watch the video?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast