Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Replacing Tamiya Type Power Connectors

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Replacing Tamiya Type Power Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Tamiya Type Power Connectors

I'm going to replace all the Tamiya type power connectors in my HL tanks. I'm doing this because I've noticed the connections with the plugs I have are very touchy, where movement of the plug or wire have caused brown outs or complete cutoff of the battery power.

I know many people like the Deans type plugs, but I've read a lot of suggestions on various RC forums to skip the Deans & go with a better style bullet plug instead.

I was thinking of something like these plugs below, any thoughts?
I can get 5mm size as well, but thought the 4mm would be sufficient, & definitely better & more reliable than the power plugs I'm using now.

HXT 4mm Gold Connectors with Protectors

~ Craig ~
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Replacing Tamiya Type Power Connectors

Good plugs, but awful big. Maybe take a look at the EC3 versions. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?strSearch=ec3

Love them, easy to solder, no worries of deforming the housings like you can on a Deans if you are a little slow on the soldering.
Also like that unlike the Deans and it's copies, no worries of the tab on the terminals bending and causing a short.

Over on the electric airplane side those Tamiya plugs were the first thing to get tossed. As you found, use em a couple of times and you get a sloppy fit, poor connections, and such.
At least for the tankers, if your plug fails, your tank stops. On a plane, there's a long long fall before they stop. [X(]
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Ronan87

Deans and micro deans are my choices. Best plugs out there. Good quality one's do not melt and have a certain amount of flexibility so they never crak (the cheap one's melt and are brittle). About $10 on ebay for 10-20 of them shipped.
I was never a fan of the tamiya plugs, very finicky.

Edit: Those EC3 look good but id be worried about parts getting loose/etc, something that doesn't happen with deans.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have an experience with the XT60 plugs. I have one on a charger,and It seems really good. I was thinking of using these to replace all my Tamiya ones.

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9572__Nylon_XT60_Connectors_Male_Female_5_pairs_ GENUINE.html]XT60[/link]

I have some deans, and they suppy a tight connection, but I like these XT60 ones better. Seems like Hobby king has opened them up to the industry and is not applying for a patent. Any one can use the design with no worries about royalites.

They are very new to me so I have no idea how they hold up, but they seem like they would be good.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Thanks for the comments.

I did start looking into some of the other connectors like the EC3 & XT60 after posting earlier, & they both look good.

The HXT plug covers are probably a bit longer than the EC3, but they didn't look any longer than what those huge Tamiya style plugs look in comparison. I don't believe the length of the plug will matter too much to me since there is plenty of room inside all my tanks for even the longer plugs like the Tamiya, but you have a good point Glacier Girl, that using the smaller plug is probably a better way to go anyway, & because they have a lot of support where people say they work really well too.

Dan, on HK there are quite a lot of opinions concerning the XT60 plugs, & I believe all are just about good, so I doubt getting them would be a mistake. They look like really nice "beefy" connectors too.

However, I think I might be leaning towards going with the EC3 connectors right now, as they get really great reviews themselves, & are slightly smaller & less expensive than the XT60 connectors.

~ Craig ~

Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Darryl Usher

I have not had a connector problem with battery but have wondered about the 3 amp connector on the board.
Darryl
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, to each his own and we learn from what we are exposed to BUT,

Deans Type connectors are idiot proof, compact and do not come loose.

Try what you may but they really do work the best... I think.

~ Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Panther F

~ Jeff

Like everything else I think these new ones are better and even more idiot proof. Deans has the exposed ends, these new ones have everything enclosed in a housing. The XT 60 I do have seems damn good.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: YHR

Deans has the exposed ends, these new ones have everything enclosed in a housing.

What exposed ends? HUH? Please explain and remember... thousands of people read this.

~ Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Ronan87

What!? Your battery should have the female unexposed plug.

ORIGINAL: Panther F

~ Jeff

Like everything else I think these new ones are better and even more idiot proof. Deans has the exposed ends, these new ones have everything enclosed in a housing. The XT 60 I do have seems damn good.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Panther F

I heat/shrink-wrap everything and then I use as little solder as possible.

~ Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM
YHR

Any bare metal around electronics is a potential problem. I fully realize the battery has the female end but you have exposed ends on your charger, and any other male connection with the Deans plug. The XT 60 has everything shrouded and the concept is just..............................better.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

So Dan you do in fact have the XT60's? I have checked them out on HK's site in the past but never took the plunge and tried them.

Cheers,
Wade

Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM
YHR

I only have one pair, but I am thinking of making the plunge and change every thing over. That is the reason I am asking if anyone else has been running them. I really like them but I haven't run them for any length of time.

It is a big task changing everything over only to find out there is a serious issue with them. They fit tight and solid, but are easier to separate then Deans. I have also heard of the Deans tabs breaking over time. These XT60s are more of a bullet connector, and my first impression of them is quite good.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Panther F

Any bare metal around electronics is a potential problem. I fully realize the battery has the female end but you have exposed ends on your charger, and any other male connection with the Deans plug. The XT 60 has everything shrouded and the concept is just..............................better.

To avoid an argument, I do see your point. But Deans connectors have a great reputation and I DO see the merit in your connectors but I come from the automotive field and those types of situations you work around... and avoid.

Like there is a procedure in jumping a car battery with those exposed ends.

~ Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Panther F

Also, after thinking more on this. The battery charger posses no threat as long as it is shut off before the battery is disconnected. And other male connectors have no charge to them as they pose no threat either.

THAT is a weak selling point but a good looking connector if you're just starting out.

~ Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Ronan87

Your charger should be off unless something is plugged in.

I never had any issues using deans for years and years and years.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Just doing a Google search for the XT60 & it's easy to read through a LOT of various forum threads/posts/reviews about those connectors since they've been out for at least 4-5 years now. There are a lot more positive things said about them, than there are negatives, & there sure seems to also be a lot more Deans converts moving to them & liking them, then it seems there are Deans converts that were unhappy for making the switch to using them.

Of course, just like the Tamiya vs HL debates/opinions, if someone is happy with a product, & it works fine for what they want, then they have every right to support it & stick with it. Deans have been very popular, reliable, & a highly recommended & accepted connector for a long time. The one sure benefit of the Deans over the XT60 would be it's slightly smaller size if you want a reliable, but smaller plug. Still, the XT60 has grown in popularity & a strong following over the last few years, & by what a vast majority of those converts point out, it does seem to have some benefits over using the Deans.

So besides all the front side connection points being fully enclosed, the selling points that a lot of people also mentioned about the XT60 compared to the Deans connectors they used, were that they are easier to solder, easier to connect together, easier to grip to disconnect (though a few had said the opposite here), & had less sparking during connection than Deans plugs.

So if you have a ton of Deans plugs on everything & have been happy with them, it wouldn't make sense to change, but for those of us who are just starting out, & do not have a lot of plugs that would need changing, I doubt you can really go completely wrong getting any of these 3 connectors.
I already ordered the EC3 connectors for myself because I like the fact I can solder the wires to the pins with the protective case removed, & everything can be done in a way where there are no exposed ends & no need for any heat shrink wrap, so no XT60's or Deans for me .... at least not for a while!
I say go ahead & get those XT60 connectors Dan, then let us know how well or poor they end up working for you!

~ Craig ~
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM
YHR

You guys are focusing in too much on the fact I made a statement about bare conductors being around circuit boards. If you feel the hazard is low and want to discount the fact then that is fine. That still doesn't take away the fact that this is a new design that provides a nice tight connection clearly identifying positive from negative, shields the conductors completely and separates easier then a Deans connector. I have Deans connectors, I use them, I know what they are all about. I am just bringing up the fact that these new(to me) connectors look very interesting and may be intersted in buying a bunch of these. I just threw it out there to see if anyone has any personal experience with these that they want to share.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Dan the XT60 is a great plug, speaking from experience. I've used them a lot.
Honestly don't know what kinds of amps you folks run in your tanks, but that's always something to consider.
I seriously doubt you run anywhere near the amps we pound connectors with in planes.

Here's a little shot of ratings for some of the various plugs on the market if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14047.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1849179  
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 AM
YHR

Thanks

I spent some time browsing the internet last night, and I guess these plugs have been around for about 4 years. I found some forums where the same question was asked. Generally these plugs are getting a thumbs up from everybody except the brand loyal few, whose comments are basically they are very happy with their current brand.

I ordered a bag full of them and am going to change over. You reassurance is welcome. I have mostly Tamiya plugs, and was starting to go over to Deans, but after having a taste of these XT 60's have decided to go that way instead.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Panther F

I just ordered some to check 'em out and see what all the fuss is all about.

I just think they are glorified Tamiya connectors but we shall see. If they just snap into the plastic (or whatever the material is) they are NO better than Deans, which are molded into the material. The bad thing about Tamiya connectors is that they move around and have poor continuity with the cheap metal they use.

Anywho... they ship fairly fast so we shall check 'em out!

~ Jeff
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
YHR

Good, Let me know what you think. I ordered mine last night, with a bunch of other stuff, so I am thinking the transit time is going to be longer because of the size of the box I ended up with.

Seems like we(I) am behind on what connectors are out there now. I have never been happy with Tamiya, but the Deans didn't lend themselves well to being mounted in a tank

like this

These XT60s will work good
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM
FreakyDude

well I can say that if you are going to use XT60 connectors make sure you don't buy copies of an XT60.
I bought copies once and they were garbage, hated them they were so junkie
I bought some real XT60 connectors last night and they are pretty nice. 
Can you believe that even small electrical connectors are copied with sub standard material? If not I have some proof they are.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Ronan87

Trying to ease your mind on a non-existant problem (well as much as how your car engine could explode... yes it could happen... but what are the chances?).

Those new plugs look nice, but i am not a fan of looking for solutions to non-existant problems. Deans have been working great for everyone i know for years.

I think the saying goes "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Now if you are going to try out new stuff, please do write a review, it's always good to hear from fellow tankers and new options.

You guys are focusing in too much on the fact I made a statement about bare conductors being around circuit boards. If you feel the hazard is low and want to discount the fact then that is fine. That still doesn't take away the fact that this is a new design that provides a nice tight connection clearly identifying positive from negative, shields the conductors completely and separates easier then a Deans connector. I have Deans connectors, I use them, I know what they are all about. I am just bringing up the fact that these new(to me) connectors look very interesting and may be intersted in buying a bunch of these. I just threw it out there to see if anyone has any personal experience with these that they want to share.

A lot of people were calling out on deans being crappy. A quick research found that all of them were using cheap copies (wrong shade of red/plated material, loose connections, sensitive to hear, easy to chip/break, etc).

ALWAYS buy from a reputable dealer for parts like that or else you don't know what you are getting.

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

well I can say that if you are going to use XT60 connectors make sure you don't buy copies of an XT60.
I bought copies once and they were garbage, hated them they were so junkie
I bought some real XT60 connectors last night and they are pretty nice.
Can you believe that even small electrical connectors are copied with sub standard material? If not I have some proof they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.