Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

KV-1 Paint color

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Devildog0341Va

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KV-1 Paint color

Guys,

I tried the search engine and didnt really get anything but was wondering what color rattle can would get me close what they were painted. This tank is not going to be perfect just trying to get a color close enough for Danville.

Thanks, Jim
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
FreakyDude

Default RE: KV-1 Paint color

well it is green, not an olive green but then not a light green. Any dark green that is within a few shades of Olive is ok.
As for camo kind of funny cuz I was talking to someone recently and low and behold the KV-1 could have had an earth brown and and earth yellow along with the green as camo colors.
Then you also have the winter look which was popular on our Russian freinds because of the snow.
I would think that the Russian soldiers would have done everything they could have to camo the tanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Funny you bring this up today, because I was also looking into this for my own KV-1 the last couple days.

Below snippet from this site here which has more info => Soviet Colors in the Great Patriotic War

The site goes into the winter & 3 color camo as well, but has this to say about the green:

Basic Color

Prior to 1938, all RKKA vehicles, both armored and soft-skin, were painted in a dark olive green color designated Green 3B. In 1938, this color was changed to a nearly identical green known as Protective Green 4BO, which persisted as the basic color until the end of the war.

There has been much debate about the exact nature of Protective Green 4BO, and the subject has inspired much heated argument. These arguments have been exacerbated by variations in the color due to inexact mixing at the various factories, and due to fading in the field under the effects of temperature and the elements. Color degradation in surviving color photographs has not helped the situation, nor has the fact that many of the vehicles photographed during Operation Barbarossa in 1941 were extremely dusty, which altered their apparent color.

RKKA paint mixing instructions from 1941 specify that Protective Green 4BO was a mixture of 40-60% yellow ochre, 15-20% zinc chromate, 10% ultramarine and 10-20% white. If these instructions are followed using modern equivalents, the result is a range of fairly light greens with a distinct yellow tint, close to FS34257 and quite similar to the color seen on the preserved vehicles at the CAF Museum in Moscow, even though those vehicles are painted using a post-war paint commonly known as 'Warsaw Pact Green'. The similarity to FS34257 is supported by a number of surviving color photographs, after accepted industry-standard color correction techniques are applied.

The chemical composition of the paint was not entirely stable however, and tended to darken over time when exposed to the elements. The color mixture given above, and its FS 595 equivalent, is therefore applicable only to newly painted vehicles and even then, only to those painted with 'fresh' paint stocks.

Kolomiyets and Moschanskiy (see below) cite official Soviet records, examined in the 1990s, as containing a somewhat darker and color with more blue, which approximates closely to FS34102. It must be remembered that the ‘official’ paint chips were no doubt stored in an office environment, in darkness under relatively constant conditions of temperature and humidity, which would likely have slowed though not completely halted any chemical action.

When the U.S. Army evaluated both a T-34 and a KV-1 at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in November 1942, the colors were noted as FS24052, which is darker still. The KV was manufactured at ChKZ in April 1942, and the paint was therefore approximately seven months old when it arrived at the Aberdeen Proving Ground. Chemical darkening due to the age of the paint and its likely exposure to the elements during its journey from Chelyabinsk to the U.S. would account for the darker color.

Given these facts, it is reasonable to assume that Soviet vehicles appeared in a variety of olive green shades. These ranged from FS34257 for newly manufactured vehicles through FS34096 and FS34095 to FS24052 for older vehicles. The shade depended not only on the age of the paint but also on the conditions of sunlight and temperature to which it had been subjected.

~ Craig ~

Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Jim, if you don't have an airbush, and/or prefer to use a spray can, Tamiya has a synthetic laquer paint that really sprays nicely. Their TS-2 Dark Green has been recommended by 1/35th modelers as a match to 4BO, and I have been very satisfied using it on a KV-2. Be advised though, that the cans are somewhat small, and it will probably take two of them to cover. A spray can won't give you subtle shades of green, but this color makes a good base color that you can weather the heck out of. -Mike
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Devildog0341Va

So I guess TS 2 is it. Although if i read correctly from that site Craigs did Russia send he us a KV 1 to evaluate.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Testors #2129 Soviet Green, aka Pelican Puke Green. I've been to Museum restoration shop down near Balaklava and spoke to the couple lads there. The color pretty much matches their paint swatches for '43 and later at least. The older one there said they didn't really change much in color from '41 on, regardless of what officialdom may say.

The color does vary, more in photos than anything else depending on the light and camera, but the 2129 is in actuality a pretty good match. Don't know if it's available in a rattle can, though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66893.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1851071