Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/16 FIGURES US - Waltersons

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 FIGURES US - Waltersons

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
FreakyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/16 FIGURES US - Waltersons

Anybody use figures with their tanks? Waltersons is bringing out a line of US Figures with some dressings for the HL Sherman. I ordered samples to see the quality. These are supposed to be some pretty heavy solid cast guys, Handpainted as well.
Let me know if your interested. I personally have really not thought about this end of the barell so to speak.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85360.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1851787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61520.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1851788  
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
FreakyDude

Default RE: 1/16 FIGURES US - Waltersons

Here is a detail of the commander

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

Anybody use figures with their tanks? Waltersons is bringing out a line of US Figures with some dressings for the HL Sherman. I ordered samples to see the quality. These are supposed to be some pretty heavy solid cast guys, Handpainted as well.
Let me know if your interested. I personally have really not thought about this end of the barell so to speak.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73686.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1851789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65352.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1851790  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM
MrQweeksdraw

Definitely interested. (Now, if I can just get one of those Shermans to go with the troops...)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Ronan87

Off topic... but did those sandbags actually do anything?

I would imagine a 88 round would go through that like a hot knife through butter...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM
FreakyDude

A sandbag was meant too slow down the round to give the hull a chance to stop it. I would think a sandbag did take energy out of an 88 round, was it enough to save the guys inside?? I can not say.
ORIGINAL: Ronan87

I wouldimaginea 88 round would go through that like a hot knife through butter...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Ronan87

Yes i know that, but if we have on record, HVAP 50 cal rounds going through sandbags... i can only imagine AP 88 rounds @_@

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

A sandbag was meant too slow down the round to give the hull a chance to stop it. I would think a sandbag did take energy out of an 88 round, was it enough to save the guys inside?? I can not say.
ORIGINAL: Ronan87

I wouldimaginea 88 round would go through that like a hot knife through butter...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Socioanthroman

Moreover the sand bags or metal sheet armor were there to pre detonate the round so the molten heat would be spread out over the armor instead of over a pinpoint location and burst through.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Socioanthroman

metal sheets worked quite well
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Ronan87

Doesn't do anything to AP rounds, sabot rounds, or any variations.

That just matters for shaped charged heads and explosive heads.

ORIGINAL: Socioanthroman

Moreover the sand bags or metal sheet armor were there to pre detonate the round so the molten heat would be spread out over the armor instead of over a pinpoint location and burst through.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those look interesting. Definately interested.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting, both the figures and the sandbag add-ons
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Socioanthroman

Actually the AP rounds did not work well during WWII until the end.  Sabot rounds were first developed by the British in Sept 1944 for the 6pdr then the 17pdr.  The Comet used a sabot round but arrived too late in the war.  Now days is a different story.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Heck yeah... I like them!

Anything to do with the Sherman. Even the sandbag armor.

Got any for sale?

~ Jeff
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Ronan87

Well ammunition evolution took awhile!

ORIGINAL: Socioanthroman

Actually the AP rounds did not work well during WWII until the end. Sabot rounds were first developed by the British in Sept 1944 for the 6pdr then the 17pdr. The Comet used a sabot round but arrived too late in the war. Now days is a different story.

i wonder how well those figurines will be painted once mass produced! Should be interesting!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These figures look more like Italian or Turkish army. Outside of colors being way off, the pistol belt, pistol holsters and magazine pouches are definately not US design as are ranks...The field jackets are no where near the standard M-1941 issued design. OK we can repaint uniforms to be closer to the tarp on the deck (tanker jackets can be more toward khaki or early WW II) , replace the ranks and get rid of the Mickey Mouse Asian standard star on the helmets..Not many Brigadier Generals riding in tanks....hopefully they not molded on... Appears that they are pre formed...would be better to have figures that could be configured to suit an activity.

The Century 21 figures are more accurate in uniform style as in colors...and the diff 1;18=16 is really no big deal. Once you have the figures conformed to the way you want, if for a display, the hinges on arms/legs can be sealed with putty and painted to match.

Nice to have 1;16 scale figures, but it would be nicer to have them look somewhat close to American soldiers.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks PC. I could not pin point the reason but they looked kind of "Cartoonish" to me.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

These figures look more like Italian or Turkish army. Outside of colors being way off, the pistol belt, pistol holsters and magazine pouches are definately not US design as are ranks...The field jackets are no where near the standard M-1941 issued design. OK we can repaint uniforms to be closer to the tarp on the deck (tanker jackets can be more toward khaki or early WW II) , replace the ranks and get rid of the Mickey Mouse Asian standard star on the helmets..Not many Brigadier Generals riding in tanks....hopefully they not molded on... Appears that they are pre formed...would be better to have figures that could be configured to suit an activity.

The Century 21 figures are more accurate in uniform style as in colors...and the diff 1;18=16 is really no big deal. Once you have the figures conformed to the way you want, if for a display, the hinges on arms/legs can be sealed with putty and painted to match.

Nice to have 1;16 scale figures, but it would be nicer to have them look somewhat close to American soldiers.

Bill, Bill, Bill! You want it all too perfect brotha! And this coming from someone who says it's best to get things to improve or modify.

You're starting to sound like you have a fleet of Tamiya tanks instead of Heng Long.

And by the way my little nit picker... it's 1/16. Not 1;16

Those 1/18 figures are crap. [:'(] They are undersized and have joints that look like GI Joe. But since now they are not made anymore, they are overpriced and unavailable most of the time. And the Dragon figures are mostly German officers or infantry... not a huge selection for the Allies so I welcome these with open arms!

So, when will they be ready for sale? [X(]

~ Jeff
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With those jumpsuits they could almost be WW11 British or Canadian Tankers.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 AM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Allied crews?????.....I just make my own

Although these new ones look useful for body parts[>:]

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, agreed, nice to get something a bit off kilter and improve on it, but these figures are just beyond the point of toy fantasy.

Have to disagree on the Century 21 figures....I have never had any problem finding their US Tanker figures, (3 different figures) even though they have been discontinued. As I stated, if for a display, the arm/leg hinges can be putty'd over and closed in and the 1;18 scale on a 1;16 tank is no biggy. I have had crew members from 5'1" to 6'2" assigned to my tanks,( the latter "bean pole" I had transferred to the VTR, as he was non fuctional as a tank crewman), so soldiers of different size is not very relevent. I have also noted use of these figures on many tanks posted on RCU, so they can't be all that bad. There are molded sets of German tannkers which look great on a Pz III or IV, but then again, they are molded to specific position and cannot be altered.

As YHR stated, the uniforms do somewhat resemble British..especially the side pistol holster hangers. If I am building a US tank with figures to look accurate, more time would have to be spent trying to get these figures to somewhat resemble American troops than the tank itself. The mustaches also have to go. US Army regs do not allow them.

Picky...maybe a bit, but when you wear the uniform for 25 years, as a senior NCO, noting discrepancies becomes automatic. Subsequently pointing out such discrepancies to those who have not served in uniform and have a desire to be accurate, is merely a thing of courtessy and should not be relegated to the catagory of negative comments or nit picking..
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I seem to recall some rather nice ladies, IDF may-be?, on one of your builds, Bill. I'm not sure they were accurate, but I liked them
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ooh, I'd be interested in these guys! American, German, Russian, all of it! And 1/16 sandbags :P Where can I get a nice collection of "tank clutter" from one place? Barbed wire, buckets, sandbags, fuel drums, shell casings... all that fun stuff.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 AM
MrQweeksdraw

ORIGINAL: fynsdad

Allied crews?????.....I just make my own

Although these new ones look useful for body parts[>:]

Man, that is just too cool for school! Outstanding work, I sure wish I had enough eyesight and steady handitude left to produce something like those troops.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM
FreakyDude

Well hopefully they shipped them already. I am going to wait for my samples to get here because pictures are not as good as the real thing.
Then I'll order them so the worst would be 1st week of March maybe early second week but not later than that.

The price on them will be available once I get the postage cost but from what I have seen of other 1/16 figures these will be 
attractive from a wallet point of view as well.  The Sandbags are available in 3 different styles and there will be some kit available as well.
I'll post some pics shortly
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

Looks interesting. I am in. They would look good with my M26. Just a little repaint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.